itchy horse

serena2005

Visit site
he cob has alwyas had itchy heals on his hind legs, but it never really bothered him..

now when you ride him he doesnt want to stand still and stamps his feet, my friend even thought he had colic one night coz he was stamping his feet so much, going to lay down and stopping, when he did lay down he kicked up his leg and scratched his hind leg!!

he stuffered from an allgery a few years ago, never found out what it was but it was something in the field. since we moved we've not had the problem, but someone said if the summer coat comes through to quick it makes them each... anyone else getting this?? other ideas??

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
My little shetland welsh cross always gets itchy when her summer coat comes through, she itches all over!. Stamping feet sounds like it could be heel mites. People often mistake them for mud fever. A cob on my yard used to sctatch and bite hers raw - frontline is used to treat it, have a word with your vet.

amzy

Visit site
Could he have mites? One of my cobs gets this sometimes and will stamp her back feet quite violently and scratch them with her teeth. Frontline is good to get rid of mites. Another problem cobs get is a skin condition in the fetlock which makes them itch and a cream from the vet usually gets rid of it for a while. Are there any small scabby bits under the feather?

amzy

Visit site
I would get the vet to determine what the actual cause is and then you can treat accordingly. Frontline does come from the vet.

samp

Visit site
It sounds like feather mites. The vets can give your horse an injection for this. I can not remember how long it lasts though? Also it may help to clip the feathers off as there may be some infections etc

serena2005

Visit site
thanks for the help!!
smile.gif