Itchy horse

applecart14

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with pin worm about 18 months ago. He had a course of two wormers three weeks apart and was given a pin worm wash and selenium sulphide shampoo. It cleared up within days and he stopped scratching.

Roll on 18 months, arrival at new yard. I noticed his tail looked a little rubbed at the top in the first few days but put this down to him leaning on the walker which he has always done after about 20 mins of walking. About ten days into moving to the new yard I took him to the vets for his reassessment. On our return to the yard partner noticed blood on the walls of his stable which had not been there before we left for the vets. I thought it was the binding from his rug which had got wet during his visit to the vets and had leaked red dye but checked under his tail and was horrified to see sores on the side of his bum cheek right next to his anus where he had rubbed it and it had bled. Luckily another vet from the same practice was at our yard and I asked her to take a look at him as I suspected pinworm again. She had a look and thought he'd rubbed it on the tailgate of the trailer which was possible, especially as he had his tail hanging over the tailgate on our return to the yard. She gave him a steroid injection as he was rubbing his bottom on the wall which resulted in him stopping rubbing it after about 40 to 50 seconds - it was like magic.

I said that with his last pinworm he had rubbed all down the outside of his bum and his flanks and had significant hair loss and it was a different kind of rubbing, more a side to side rubbing motion that what he was displaying which was more up and down. She said in order to cover all bases she would drop some pinworm wash off to me when she visited the yard two days later to see another liveries horse and some mud fever cream as this was very effective and soothing the area and in the meantime the selenium sulphide she had in her car would suffice along with sudocrem which I already had in my first aid kit. Again she doubted pinworm.

However when I rang on the Monday to remind her to drop the stuff off in my stable manger when she visited the yard for her patient she said the appointment had been cancelled. I said he had stopped rubbing so much anyway (which he had) but she said she would try and drop it off if some other vets from the clinic were passing - they are shut when I could get there after work. I continued washing his bum, anus and tail area with the selenium sulphide shampoo, drying it and applying the sudocrem and it started to scab over. He had also stopped rubbing it, so I stopped washing it or it would never scab over. I was still creaming it.

Then last night I got to the yard and a livery in the next stable said he had been rubbing his bottom on the walls again. The pinworm wash stuff has never materialized so I rang the vet again today and they said they would try and drop it off today as someone was visiting the area. If not it will be posted out to me.

I still don't think its pinworm. He has been wormed since being on the yard and it was evening before he went to the clinic but I had told the vet that in her initial examination and she said it wasn't pinworm. She said at any rate the wormer I had given him would eradicate pinworm as it was one of the two that you have to give for pinworm treatment.

Where would you go with this now? Keep washing and creaming.

To date the only place he has rubbed his body is right next to his anus on both side where the skin is soft and hairless. I still don't think its pin worm but I can't understand what else it could be that is irritating him. I did wonder if it could be a splinter from the tailgate but have had a good 'mooch' and can't see anything. It looks like a graze either side of his bum about the size of a 50 pence piece and the underneath of his tail has scabs and a red mark on it also. He can't rub in the field as its mains electric fencing.

applecart14

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with pin worm about 18 months ago. He had a course of two wormers three weeks apart and was given a pin worm wash and selenium sulphide shampoo. It cleared up within days and he stopped scratching.

Roll on 18 months, arrival at new yard. I noticed his tail looked a little rubbed at the top in the first few days but put this down to him leaning on the walker which he has always done after about 20 mins of walking. About ten days into moving to the new yard I took him to the vets for his reassessment. On our return to the yard partner noticed blood on the walls of his stable which had not been there before we left for the vets. I thought it was the binding from his rug which had got wet during his visit to the vets and had leaked red dye but checked under his tail and was horrified to see sores on the side of his bum cheek right next to his anus where he had rubbed it and it had bled. Luckily another vet from the same practice was at our yard and I asked her to take a look at him as I suspected pinworm again. She had a look and thought he'd rubbed it on the tailgate of the trailer which was possible, especially as he had his tail hanging over the tailgate on our return to the yard. She gave him a steroid injection as he was rubbing his bottom on the wall which resulted in him stopping rubbing it after about 40 to 50 seconds - it was like magic.

I said that with his last pinworm he had rubbed all down the outside of his bum and his flanks and had significant hair loss and it was a different kind of rubbing, more a side to side rubbing motion that what he was displaying which was more up and down. She said in order to cover all bases she would drop some pinworm wash off to me when she visited the yard two days later to see another liveries horse and some mud fever cream as this was very effective and soothing the area and in the meantime the selenium sulphide she had in her car would suffice along with sudocrem which I already had in my first aid kit. Again she doubted pinworm.

However when I rang on the Monday to remind her to drop the stuff off in my stable manger when she visited the yard for her patient she said the appointment had been cancelled. I said he had stopped rubbing so much anyway (which he had) but she said she would try and drop it off if some other vets from the clinic were passing - they are shut when I could get there after work. I continued washing his bum, anus and tail area with the selenium sulphide shampoo, drying it and applying the sudocrem and it started to scab over. He had also stopped rubbing it, so I stopped washing it or it would never scab over. I was still creaming it.

Then last night I got to the yard and a livery in the next stable said he had been rubbing his bottom on the walls again. The pinworm wash stuff has never materialized so I rang the vet again today and they said they would try and drop it off today as someone was visiting the area. If not it will be posted out to me.

I still don't think its pinworm. He has been wormed since being on the yard and it was evening before he went to the clinic but I had told the vet that in her initial examination and she said it wasn't pinworm. She said at any rate the wormer I had given him would eradicate pinworm as it was one of the two that you have to give for pinworm treatment.

Where would you go with this now? Keep washing and creaming.

To date the only place he has rubbed his body is right next to his anus on both side where the skin is soft and hairless. I still don't think its pin worm but I can't understand what else it could be that is irritating him. I did wonder if it could be a splinter from the tailgate but have had a good 'mooch' and can't see anything. It looks like a graze either side of his bum about the size of a 50 pence piece and the underneath of his tail has scabs and a red mark on it also. He can't rub in the field as its mains electric fencing.

***bump***

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I had exactly the same story with my horse. Completely trashed tail and raw rubs either side of anus. Treated for pinworm but it made no difference. Selenium shampoo gave him relief for a while but itching was back in a few days.
Then I removed all alfalfa from his diet and the itching immediately stopped and has never returned.

JillA

Visit site
Mine is an itcher - not exclusively his tail but his mane too. It isn't sweetitch because it doesn't start until June so I had the blood test for allergies. It isn't 100% reliable but it came back midges (ruled out because of the timing) black fly and sorrel. There is also a skin patch test but you have to take them to an equine dermatologist for it.
Otherwise really it is detective work - work out when, check his environment and/or diet, eliminate what you can and see if it makes a difference. Allergies are really difficult to pin down. Does neem oil help?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could he be eating something in the field? If not it could be something else in his feed maybe try leaving one thing out for a while as someone else has said alfalfa can cause a reaction as can molasses.

applecart14

Visit site
Could he be eating something in the field? If not it could be something else in his feed maybe try leaving one thing out for a while as someone else has said alfalfa can cause a reaction as can molasses.

The only change to his diet has been a different type of hay a new field and Allen & Page veteran vitality but that was started on the day of the vets assesment and fed after his return from the vets. Also clutching at straws as you do but i did use a very old body brush i found during the yard move but it was used all over his body but nowhere else is affected. also tried an old rug on him but again no other area affected. there was a horse on the yard previously that had pin worm but it wasnt kept in his stable. its a total mystery as its only this area around either side of the anus is affected. Went to YHL today and asked Westgate labs lady about the wormer i gave him. she says this would have no effect on pin worm as its an ivermectin and not pyratel so not what vet told me. still not convinced pin worm. When i got to the yard this afternoon it was bleeding again well bright red if you understand. i now have the pinworm wash so today started him on it and going to give this a few days and see what happens.thanks for advice....keep it coming in. All suggestions welcome. Obviously vet will be called out again if no improvement by end of next week but need to give this pinworm wash and mud fever cream a go :)

Last edited:

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Is he clipped? Mine gets rubbed around that area when he has a tail bandage and tail guard on. I try to leave a discreet unclipped area around there now.
I swear by flamazine cream which is anti bacterial. Sudocreme contains lanolin which actually caused hair loss in my horse so I would be careful with it, especially in a delicate area.

JillA

Visit site
The life cycle of the pinworm relies on the eggs laid around the anus - have you checked for them? If there are any, Vaseline applied daily stops them adhering and re-infesting the horse, we got rid of a mild infestation that way a couple of years ago.

twiggy2

Visit site
Sounds like pin worm to me, the stress of the move may have allowed them to take hold, the steroid injection would hae stopped the itching for a while but not dealt with the underlying cause. So as the steroid wore off the itching re started.

applecart14

Visit site
Is he clipped? Mine gets rubbed around that area when he has a tail bandage and tail guard on. I try to leave a discreet unclipped area around there now.
I swear by flamazine cream which is anti bacterial. Sudocreme contains lanolin which actually caused hair loss in my horse so I would be careful with it, especially in a delicate area.

Hi he is not clipped. I have stopped using the Sudocreme in favour of the mud fever cream prescribed by the vet. This has steroid in it I believe.

The life cycle of the pinworm relies on the eggs laid around the anus - have you checked for them? If there are any, Vaseline applied daily stops them adhering and re-infesting the horse, we got rid of a mild infestation that way a couple of years ago.

Thanks for that about Vaseline, I will bear that in mind. I have checked for a yellow sticky residue but cannot find anything which looks remotely like this. I have found dried up sudocream but that's all.

Sounds like pin worm to me, the stress of the move may have allowed them to take hold, the steroid injection would hae stopped the itching for a while but not dealt with the underlying cause. So as the steroid wore off the itching re started.
This is what I can't understand though, he's not a stressey horse at all, far from it. You could plonk him on the moon so long as he has a hay net. But then stress doesn't always appear on the outside, I know.

I am so hoping when I go to the yard tonight he will have stopped itching and it will be all dried up. If not I will repeat the procedure once more, give to the end of the week and if no better have the vet out early next week.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would not discount pin worm .
Modern workers often don't kill pinworm so it's possible that his burden is building up again if you have been using wormers that don't kill pin worm .

Tangaroo

Visit site
Why dont you do a test for Pinworm? My new boy has it, or did because i found the worms in his poo. I have wormed him but hes itching again. I sent the test off to Westgate labs yesterday so hopefully will get the result today

applecart14

Visit site
Why dont you do a test for Pinworm? My new boy has it, or did because i found the worms in his poo. I have wormed him but hes itching again. I sent the test off to Westgate labs yesterday so hopefully will get the result today
Hi Tangroo. I want to see if the treatment works, and because of the delay in getting the stuff from the vets I've not really given it chance as yet.

I was told by a livery yesterday who was in the stable next to my horse with her horses for a considerable amount of time, that he had not scratched the walls once. She'd been pottering around for a number of hours and hadn't seen or heard him rub the walls. Last night it appeared to be scabbing over again. I will probably go up to the yard tonight and find he has rubbed again! I repeated the wash last night so will have to give it time to see if it works.

applecart14

Visit site
UPDATE: Rubbed again last two nights so have bit the bullted and the vet coming out this afternoon after work to give him a wormer of Ivermectin up his bottom :) Lovely. Then a short course of steroids by mouth will hopefully do the job.

She thinks the steroids will stop the cycle of itching, hopefully enough to stop him scratching although she said that pinworm (as I already know) can be a total nightmare to treat if that is what he has. She also thinks that the scabs that form every now and then (until her rubs again!) are making him scratch.

Watch this space :)

JillA

Visit site
Info from Westgate labs (Borderriever on here is Westgate) http://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/page.aspx?id=61 They say Ivermectin isn't effective against them, but that's because it doesn't get beyond the gut, but a topical paste can be effective. Note particularly that it can take months for the worms to mature, and apart from chemical wormers they suggest neem oil applied on the skin

Kylara

Visit site
I'm also going to suggest flamazine over sudocrem. My Welsh thing is having a bad time of it at the minute, massive flakes of dead skin in mane and tail and it itching tail head/bum weirdly. Sits on it a bit and wiggles. Tested clear for pinworm which was my first thought. Flamazine clears up the sore bits very fast without seeming to make the thick scabs that sudocrem does. Thick scabs get itchy and I can't blame horses when they give them a big old scratch! I'm waiting delivery of mediwash which I'm going to stick on his mane and tail and a bit by his cheek as he is a bit sensitive to his own sweat!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I'm also going to suggest flamazine over sudocrem. My Welsh thing is having a bad time of it at the minute, massive flakes of dead skin in mane and tail and it itching tail head/bum weirdly. Sits on it a bit and wiggles. Tested clear for pinworm which was my first thought. Flamazine clears up the sore bits very fast without seeming to make the thick scabs that sudocrem does. Thick scabs get itchy and I can't blame horses when they give them a big old scratch! I'm waiting delivery of mediwash which I'm going to stick on his mane and tail and a bit by his cheek as he is a bit sensitive to his own sweat!

Kylara, I have a welsh thing too who suffers from bad sweat scald if I don't clip hom out completely. I always jot towel him with naf skin product if he has sweated after work.

Kylara

Visit site
He was clipped a couple of days ago (3rd time!) and I felt a very bad mum as his left chest/armpit area had sweat scald. I am super thorough with washing off after work and it wasn't even where his girth is. Some flamazine is clearing it up though. It's very odd but you can see where you missed with the wash down the next day!

I'll have a look at the naf stuff, thanks.