itchy horses??

L

lilym

is anyone else's horse or pony itching like a demon? one of mine is, have checked for lice - found nothing - but the pony is rubbing it's mane and tail and has come out in sweet itch like raised scabby areas... i really hope it isn't sweet itch, i would rather manage a laminitic than a scratcher, so if it does turn out to be SI i will give her away to a good home
frown.gif

Honeypots

Visit site
blimey..thats a bit drastic!!

It has been very midgy this year though and this time of year is the worst. Its damp but still warm..midges favorite. I have a sweet itch cob and he has very little tail left for the first time this year but 2 of my others are itching like mad too and I know they don't have it. Do you have a fly rug you can put on for now?..

wizoz

Visit site
YES!!!!!!!!!!! I put a post in veterinary about it. My mums retired t/b is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo itchy and has been nearly all summer. He was treated with anti hystemines but he just spends all day scratching on anything and it's not just his mane and tail, it's all over. He def does not have sweet itch but he does have very very sensitive skin, so much so he bites when you do rugs, girths etc.
mad.gif

L

lilym

TBH i haven't got time or inclination to deal with a scratcher, sorry but there it is, i would rather someone had her who could giver her more time and tlc than i can, she is a companion to my mare, and i need something uncomplicated.