Itchy/Scurfy skin & Feedmark Equidermis Plus

_daisy_

Visit site
has anyone used Equidermis plus for a horse that has itchy/scurfy/greasy skin?
how long did it take you to notice a change in the coat?
has anyone used it and not noticed any difference? if so, how long did you keep your horse/pony on the supplement before giving up with it?

Enfys

Visit site
I haven't used it so can't comment on the efficacy, do you know what is causing the itching?

Do you feed Alfa-alfa in any form? As this can lead to itchiness and hairloss, just a thought. Usually, used merely as a chaff, it isn't fed in large enough quantities to do this though.

teresagarsden

Visit site
Use it on the old girl 28 yrs young. she has been on it now for 3 yrs she is fed it at coat changing times as she can rub till she bleeds on a bad day!!
I saw an improvement within 4-6 weeks and she did come off it for a short time and was itchy within a week so now i use it all the time.
Tammys case is slightly strange as her age has made her skin hyper-sensitive but i really do think it helps.

Good luck Teresa

_daisy_

Visit site
hi Enfys,
sorry for late reply.
We dont know exactly what the problem is with this mare. Shes the new Haffie i got in November. i dont know if you remember my post?

shes suffered with the itchy skin for approx 18months prior to me getting her. i dont know if its anything to do with sweet itch as weve had 2 conflicting vet diagnosis. It could be due to midges as there was a stagnant pond in the field she was kept in? Since ive had her, shes hardly rubbed. she has the odd session but tbh its no worse than any of my other mares.

this is the extent of the damage she had done to herself on her rump which i found shortly after clipping her - her skin was very sore, and thickened, so i used aloe vera gel on them to sooth it which helped a lot.
Since getting her she had a few baths to ensure her coat was clean (before the cold weather came), then rugged up. most of the scabs have come off - she was so tender she wouldnt allow you to touch her body with your hand let alone a brush. Since shes gained my trust that im here to help not hurt she now allows me to brush her with anything including those metal scrapers with teeth.

she seems to have a very greasy coat, i dont know if her skin is over producing oil? but thought that the equidermis was a cheaper alternative to the vets supplement when we dont actually know whether she is a sweet itch sufferer or not. I also thought it wouldnt harm her trying her on it.
shes currently getting fed a token feed (mainly as they do so well on haylage only) of 1/2 scoop d&h alfalfa with the equidermis plus, benfefit advance & garlic

S1030610.jpg

S1030609.jpg

she did have skin damage in her mane and along the mane line but not very visable on camera

sonjafoers

Visit site
I have been using it for about 18 months, mainly as I have a horse who suffers from mudfever. She hasn't suffered badly since she has been on it however I have to say the winter before I started it she didn't get it either so i can't really put the lack of it down to the supplement. What I am disappointed about is this year both my horses have had really scurfy, rashy skin despite being on the recommended 2 1/4 scoops of equidermis plus. I have had to have a special shampoo from the vet for my coloured as her skin is realy suffering (not great to have to completely wash her in this weather) and my bay who normally gleams even when clipped has really scurfy flaky skin this winter. On the plus side I can say the supplement does help to make them shiny but after the problems I've had this winter I don't think it does much else!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have used it and had good results, took about a month to really start having results. However as I have heavy horses it was very expensive so I have found this to be as good.

I buy linseed and brewers yeast from Charnwood Milling - they get a small coffee mug of linseed, a heaped tablespoon of yeast and I also add clivers - which are from Feedmark. They get this twice a day and it has really helped with their coats and SI.

I also feed black sunflower seeds which are rich in omega 6 oils and these have also given them great coats and very tough feet. Again they get a small coffe mug twice a day.

I would also try the Equss products - their Microtek shampoo and spray are very good, plus you could also use megatek watered down 50 - 50 on the coat as it helps with hair condition. I personally have found these products very good on four itchy hairy beasts.

You can get these from http://www.tailgator.co.uk/