Itchy Shetland

onebigjump

Visit site
My Shetland always gets so itchy this time of year, but he seems worse than usual due to the very warm days we've had recently. He's rubbed himself bald in places.

Would it be OK to clip him? I know it's the wrong time of year but I'm hoping it would make him comfortable.
Alternatively is there a good supplement that anyone could recommend?

mavandkaz

Visit site
My Shetland is also very itchy at moment.
I always clip (usually a blanket) at this time of year. I will no doubt be doing it again, but just going to hold off till next weekend as due to be below freezing for a few nights Mon/tues

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I usually clip mine, however she’s losing loads of her coat already so I’m not sure I’ll bother this year!

onebigjump

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, he's only got a lightweight waterproof at the moment as he rarely needs a rug. Do you think he might need something more than that with a clip?
Sorry, I've got zero knowledge with clipped horses as I don't clip mine

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
My physio has noticed a lot of itchy horses this year, she recommended a vitamin D supplement due to the time of year / daylight hours and most horses being rugged or stabled a lot.
Worked very well for mine who is currently on box rest - he is moulting like mad but not scratching on anything - very cheap solution too as you can get about 200 tablets on Amazon for about £10 which last ages

meleeka

Visit site
If you only give him a small clip I wouldnt rug at all. Mine just has a bib and belly clip in the spring and again in late summer, so it grows back for winter. When you consider the climate they are made for, it’s not surprising they get too hot.

onebigjump

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've gone for a bib clip for now (we'll I was until the battery ran out ?).
Will probably trace or blanket clip once it warms up a bit