Itchy Skinned yearling

wickedwilfred

Visit site
We have an 11 month old filly foal (TB) who has an itchy skin, especially tail area. This started during the winter months and although we could never find any, we washed her twice for lice (vet supplied)which has made no difference and she has been regularly wormed. I have noticed she is slow to shed her winter coat compared to her companion of similar age and am anxious this should not develop into full blown sweet-itch once the midges start to appear. She has been on a skin supplement for the past 3 weeks. Has anyone had experience of this condition and know how to treat it ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could be pin worm it can be difficult to get rid of I have known a few horses to need several treatments until it clears.

Micronised linseed is good for skin and coats and brewer's yeast is also good for itchy skin.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Thanks. She has been on Feedmark’s Equidermis which contains micronised linseed, B vitamins and Biotin for 3 weeks now and always has a daily supplement along with her Yearling Mix. I will explore the pin worm possibility as she didn’t come to us until she was 6 months old.

Pc2003

Visit site
Oh check my recent posts!
I have a 2yr old with mildly itchy but scabby patches of skin. I thought it might be sweet itch but luckily not. I ended up having the vet out today. She scraped the skin and sent samples off. She thought maybe microscopic type notes so gave me a sulphur wash, but most probably a change in environment (homes) and his immune system has gone into over drive and producing too much greasy/dandruff type stuff. His winter coat looked really poor when I got him. She said young horses can sometimes have skin issues that hate hard to pin down and resolve over time.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Well she certainly has dandruff. My vet coming out anyway next week, so will ask her to take skin samples. She was wormed this evening. Thanks.

Mister Ted

Visit site
A useful suppliement is Hilton Herbs No Itch.My friend used it last year for her prone to sweet itch pony and made a huge difference.