Itchy Wire fox terrier

Foxterrierist

Visit site
We've been to the vets and was given apoquel which apparently isn't a good thing as it just blocks the symptoms and has a load of nasty side effects, so I took her off that, plus it didn't really seem to work. Changed her diet onto a hypoallergenic mix and also tried antihistamines, which hasn't really helped.

Has anyone else had this experience? I know the WFT is a popular breed with horsey / country people so I thought I would try here.

Thank you,

Poppy's mum

angrybird1

Visit site
You probably need to find out if it's a allergic condition. Is it seasonal?
Is it a new thing? It could be a allergy to dust mites, pollen or possibly food. A exclusion diet where you feed a hypo allergenic diet only. This means no treats or bones etc. Keep a note if there is a improvement or not. If there is you can slowly introduce one other food at a time.
a vet could do a allergy test. Other than that you could try a bath in something like malaseb. A vet could do skin scrapes to test for demodex. Also check the anal glands don't need emptying as some dogs will itch if they are full.

Foxterrierist

Visit site
Thanks Angrybird1. The next step is probably going to be the allergy test. Was trying the diet change for now to see if that worked but no real joy, although she loves the food.

The problem is the vets are only doing phone consultation and the usual vet who's really experienced seems to be unavailable all of the time only doing emergencies.

Foxterrierist

Visit site
No, I've not heard of cytopoint - will ask the vet. Thyroid - not checked but she's a young dog so I didn't think that would be an issue?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Has it happened before? Is it ongoing? I wonder if it’s environmental. If so, maybe change where you walk her. One of mine had a terrible reaction-multiple hotspots-after walking in a new place. Didn’t go there again in a hurry!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I had a terrier years ago that appeared to be allergic to everything. It started when he was around three, which is apparently a common age to start getting allergic reactions. He had antihistamines and steroids tablets(tablets worked better than the injection and I was allowed to just give as and when needed) from the vets. The vets always said steroids would shorten his life but I always thought it better to be a comfortable life than itchy. He lived to nineteen so I don't think it shortened it by much. I found I couldn't wash his bedding in soap powder and I washed the floors with washing up liquid, always Ecover, as every other thing would set him off. I had friend whose dogs skin was set off by those awful plug in smelly things, there are so many things it could be. With regard to the walks you go on, I found with mine he would be fine 99% of the time and just that one time he would be set off. I was never sure it was the walk anyway or just something else that I never gave a second thought to.

Squeak

Visit site
Yes! I have two and both have itching problems. One was a rescue and came with it and the other has developed it as she got older. Both managed with piriton at the moment.

The Wire Fox Terrier Association published a paper on the breed and itching following their recent health survey a month or so a go and made some good recommendations on it. I only skim read it at the time but have kept meaning to read the full article and try some of their recommendations. I saw it on their facebook page but I imagine they'd be happy to email it as well.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread but cytopoint is an injection used in vet hospitals in the USA. It does wonders for the dogs according to their owners. One injection can last up to 3 months. It is not cheap though.

angrybird1

Visit site
The thing is drugs like steroids have long term effects so if possible you are best to avoid. You could ask to be see a veterinary dermatologist.

Foxterrierist

Visit site
Yes! I have two and both have itching problems. One was a rescue and came with it and the other has developed it as she got older. Both managed with piriton at the moment.

The Wire Fox Terrier Association published a paper on the breed and itching following their recent health survey a month or so a go and made some good recommendations on it. I only skim read it at the time but have kept meaning to read the full article and try some of their recommendations. I saw it on their facebook page but I imagine they'd be happy to email it as well.

That would be very useful. Do you have a link for it?

Much appreciated

Foxterrierist

Visit site
The thing is drugs like steroids have long term effects so if possible you are best to avoid. You could ask to be see a veterinary dermatologist.

Vets are nightmare at the moment. Last 'appointment' was a phone consultation and my regular vet who's really good was only doing emergencies. We need to go in and have a face to face so I can explain everything. I felt that the stand in vet just wanted to sell me a load of Apoquel. Looks like it'll have to be an allergy test if it doesn't get any better.

Foxterrierist

Visit site

I've found the article on the WFT facebook page - will have a good read.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Moobli

Visit site
I had a longcoat GSD that was terribly itchy all his life. I used a combination of apple cider vinegar diluted and sprayed liberally onto his skin/coat, a daily antihistamine and we had to resort to steroids (Medrone V) when he had a bad flare up.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh I also tried kefir which I heard worked well for a friend's itchy dog but sadly didn't really make a difference to my boy, and he hated it too so it wasn't easy to get it into him.