Items you need when you get your own yard

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Hello,

If all goes well I'm moving to a new house soon with stables and some land. Although I've been on a livery yard for a long time (so have rugs, tack etc.) what are the top things you'd need when you move to a yard and have nothing.

I want to start buying a few things so be Interested to see what people suggest that I might not have thought of :)

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Haynets were the thing I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about lol!!! But there are hay racks (I prefer nets). Good point about medicine chest, it's scary as much as exciting.

alainax

Visit site
Were you full livery before or part/diy? Just so we know if you already have tools, wheelbarrow, buckets, hay nets etc.

Rings and hooks to tie and hang things. Can't have enough of them! Fire extinguisher.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Assisted livery. I have some things like a barrow, loads of bucket etc but will need to get something for mucking out (haven't decided what bedding they will be on).

Tie rings are a good idea, although the stables look lovely, I don't remember seeing any.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Really very, very healthy bank balance I think!

* feed & bedding supplies
* some means of muck disposal
* contacts with local farmers/landowners/contractors for fencing/hay cutting and/or supply/hedge trimming/water trough plumbing/stable door re-hanging/etc/etc
* vet (& dentist) & farrier recommendations

The fun bits and bobs will be easy to acquire once you're there - the people stuff (even muck disposal as that will effect what bedding you use and if you muck out into a trailer) needs to be sorted soon-ish

cobsarefab

Visit site
Assisted livery. I have some things like a barrow, loads of bucket etc but will need to get something for mucking out (haven't decided what bedding they will be on).

Tie rings are a good idea, although the stables look lovely, I don't remember seeing any.
Our wave fork is really good and survived a trampling.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Thankfully, I have been left a list of contacts for all you listed but can't really get in touch until we've moved in (hoping to take the horses a little after our initial move in date to get things sorted). So like you say, can't decide on bedding until I'm sure they will accept it.

Healthy bank balance... When moving house and with horses.... I dream of the day :)

crabbymare

Visit site
Keep a small notebook and pen or pencil at the yard and until you move write down everything you use that is not yours, that way you willwill have most things that you need. Things that you want can follow on afterwards.

only_me

Visit site
Feed bins & hay storage area.
Feed scoops!

Places to tie up
Secure gates
Chains for gates lol.

Outside easy accessible tap with insulation around pipe
Long hose
Duck tape to patch the holes the hose will get when he inevitably stands on it

A stocked first aid/medicine cabinet
(poultice kit, stable bandages, vet wrap, wound gels etc., dressings, scissors, peroxide, hibiscrub, hoof testers (plus hoof knife if happy enough to dig for an abcess), gloves, plasters for you, packet of bute or danilon (is that legal in england?), gamgee, couple of big syringes (useful for flushing or cleaning) and probably more but I've quite a large one lol. )

Head collar hook
Scissors
Storage boxes
Mounting block
Feed/water bucket & a couple spare
Bedding fork (unless you know you are getting straw, then a shavings fork is the most versatile imo)
Yard brush
A Wheelie bin or similar

Somewhere to put the muck into
Bailing twine

Trying to remember what I use almost daily, which is harder than it should be :p

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Feed bins & hay storage area.
Feed scoops!

Places to tie up
Secure gates
Chains for gates lol.

Outside easy accessible tap with insulation around pipe
Long hose
Duck tape to patch the holes the hose will get when he inevitably stands on it

A stocked first aid/medicine cabinet
(poultice kit, stable bandages, vet wrap, wound gels etc., dressings, scissors, peroxide, hibiscrub, hoof testers (plus hoof knife if happy enough to dig for an abcess), gloves, plasters for you, packet of bute or danilon (is that legal in england?), gamgee, couple of big syringes (useful for flushing or cleaning) and probably more but I've quite a large one lol. )

Head collar hook
Scissors
Storage boxes
Mounting block
Feed/water bucket & a couple spare
Bedding fork (unless you know you are getting straw, then a shavings fork is the most versatile imo)
Yard brush
A Wheelie bin or similar

Somewhere to put the muck into
Bailing twine

Trying to remember what I use almost daily, which is harder than it should be :p

Thanks, that's a large medicine box but all useful stuff *gets Googling*

blood_magik

Visit site
We’ve not long done the same and it’s the best thing we’ve ever done. :)

You’ll need numbers for reliable fencing and grounds works contractors *speaking from bitter experience*

Other than that, one of our best buys has been a pallet fork - great for shifting deliveries and lugging multiple bags of feed/shavings up from the feed store.

Oh, and more storage than you think you’ll ever need. Heavy duty shelving units and those foldable baskets are great for keeping things organised.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
We’ve not long done the same and it’s the best thing we’ve ever done. :)

You’ll need numbers for reliable fencing and grounds works contractors *speaking from bitter experience*

Other than that, one of our best buys has been a pallet fork - great for shifting deliveries and lugging multiple bags of feed/shavings up from the feed store.

Oh, and more storage than you think you’ll ever need. Heavy duty shelving units and those foldable baskets are great for keeping things organised.

Shelving units are a good idea. I use those unknowingly every day.

little_critter

Visit site
What's the fencing like? Might you need some electric fencing?
Poop scoop?
Pallets for hay storage?
Do you have electric? Extension lead?
Well stocked tool kit and 'man who can'
Sturdy chains and padlocks

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hello,

If all goes well I'm moving to a new house soon with stables and some land. Although I've been on a livery yard for a long time (so have rugs, tack etc.) what are the top things you'd need when you move to a yard and have nothing.

I want to start buying a few things so be Interested to see what people suggest that I might not have thought of :)
Not in any order but a mixture of items you need and services

* Tools
*Wheel barrow
*fence mending (hammer and nails)
*feed merchant
*muck removal
*farrier
*vet
*pallets for hay to stand on
*land management guy
*plumber
*vermin control
* jumps
* dressage items
* arena leveler
*drainage company
*fire safety
*misc ties rings /haynets/hayracks/rubber mats
*feed bins
*field hay rack
* that is it for the moment.
* outside clock

Last edited:

Evie91

Visit site
Did you say you have a list of contacts? Feed merchants who deliver, vets who cover the area, farrier, dentist, Chiro, saddle fit - pre register if poss. Muck heap removal. Contact who could help with the horses if needed - invaluable to me when rushed to hospital with anaphylactic shock! So not available to look after horses and husband with me.

Kit for removing shoe in an emergency. Emergency fence repair kit - I had a few spare rails,nails etc but also electric fence.

Having my horse at home meant my things never went walkabout - hoof picks, knives, scissors always were I left them! Surprising the joy you can take from such small things!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Lots of good ideas above.
Can I add; locks for every external gate. Ours are thick bike locks with the same code for every one, so that they can be opened by us easily in an emergency - no struggling to remember which code to use.

DD

Visit site
a tractor, chain harrows, fence mending equipment, hammer, saw, nails, hedge cutting equipment. stone to put down in gateways. weed killer and sprayer for same.pasture topper for rank grasses.

Antw23uk

Visit site
We've been in our place 18 months and I still dont own a shaving fork for mucking out. I'm still rebelling from livery yards and refuse to stable my horses. They are a million times happier being out 24/7 :)

Easy access to pallets if you need to make a three sided muck heap. Good wheelbarrow and poo picker and if its post and rail (sniggers) then lots of electric fence insulators and miles of electric rope. Trust me, keeping them off that post and rail will save you a fortune in time and money because rail replacement is never ending!

All my paddocks are now set up for electric so all i need to do is attached an energiser to whatever paddock im using.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
If you have any wire at all don't forget a pair of wire cutters.

Folding craft knives (like a folding Stanley's knife) are great for cutting bale strings.