Items you need when you get your own yard

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've tied my pen knife to a bright blue supplement scoop so it's easier to spot if it gets dropped in the hay.

I have plaited a length of 3 strands of baler twine and it's tied to the big scissors, I have an o ring screwed into the haybarn door and the point of the scissors gets shoved through this to hold them. Scissors are usually used as a knife for hay bales and slashing miscanthus bedding bales :)

Clannad48

Visit site
More than 1 fire extinguisher - at least two and preferably three depending on how big the area is. The local Fire Brigade will often give you lots of advice. Don't forget they need to be serviced regularly.

Seville

Visit site
CCTV or similar security, rodent proof feed bins and rug storage. Sensible space for a muck heap, and a local contact to either move it to another area or remove it altogether. Electric point to boil a kettle, useful if poultices needed. Lights. Enjoy!

claret09

Visit site
do you know what just enjoy. you will pick stuff up as you need it. you don't actually need it all at once. stop panicking . have fun.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
I hope that helps
It does, this thread has helped but like you say, I'll get into it and figure out what I need. I'm so excited :)

At the moment I do know I need some electric fencing, and a trailer to remove the muck with.

Bit of a random question, although I can store tack in the house, does anyone have any suggestions for tack storage spaces?

BTW it's 3 acres and a small yard area with 3 stables and school.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Really very, very healthy bank balance I think!

* feed & bedding supplies
* some means of muck disposal
* contacts with local farmers/landowners/contractors for fencing/hay cutting and/or supply/hedge trimming/water trough plumbing/stable door re-hanging/etc/etc
* vet (& dentist) & farrier recommendations

The fun bits and bobs will be easy to acquire once you're there - the people stuff (even muck disposal as that will effect what bedding you use and if you muck out into a trailer) needs to be sorted soon-ish

Agree with this.

I've recently moved to a property with land / yard and the previous owner very kindly left me a list of local farriers / vets / feed merchants / local farm contractors etc. Saved me a lot of time asking for recommendations.

southerncomfort

Visit site
It does, this thread has helped but like you say, I'll get into it and figure out what I need. I'm so excited :)

At the moment I do know I need some electric fencing, and a trailer to remove the muck with.

Bit of a random question, although I can store tack in the house, does anyone have any suggestions for tack storage spaces?

BTW it's 3 acres and a small yard area with 3 stables and school.

When I rented a paddock I bought a steel tack locker and bolted it to the back wall of the field shelter. Never had any issues.

If you need something more secure I'd recommend a small shipping container.

Sounds like we've moved to similar properties. :) It's fun planning everything isn't it?

I've found though that I'm not using it how I'd originally planned because it isn't until you get moved in that you find which are the driest paddocks, which stables your horses will feel happier in etc. I've been here 2 weeks and I only went to our local country store at the weekend to buy everything because I had a much clearer idea of what I'd need.