It's been a while... rather large update from us!

miss_c

Visit site
I think I last posted months ago about everything that's been going on, although those of you who read my blog will know! It's been a tumultuous few months...

You may remember I bought a lovely new mare, Bug, in November 2016. Well on February 14th of this year I tacked her up and normal and took her into the school to do some work. I don't remember what happened but long story short she decked me (we weren't even jumping), I was knocked unconscious for 10 mins or so and came round screaming. It turned out I had dislocated my hip, broken the ball of the femur, chipped bone off of the hip socket, shattered my left wrist and broken my collarbone. Let's just say that morphine was my friend... I had a lovely drug-high (gas & air, as well as morphine, are amazing!) ride in an ambulance to A&E where I had lots of x-rays, etc. The staff were PHENOMENAL.

dmfyvp.jpg

I was told that I wouldn't be mobile or able to return to work/horses for 5-7 months... I'm self employed and quite simply couldn't afford the time off! Fortunately I was able to astound them and was up walking on crutches within days. I had lots of lovely visitors including trendybraincell and _GG_ who noticed I had a lovely bruise on my arm which resulted in this conversation:

_GG_: Blimey miss_c that's a hell of a bruise!
miss_c: Bruise? Where?
_GG_: There on your arm!
miss_c: Oh... I hadn't noticed...

34euo94.jpg

I made the decision to sell Bug, she had shattered my confidence and I quite simply did not want to get on her again. So she was advertised. 11 days after the accident I went home and was reunited with my lovely Clouds.

308ehc4.jpg

easfmq.jpg

I then had the bombshell dropped on me by my yard owner that the horses needed to move as I couldn't look after them. Everyone at the yard was BRILLIANT about looking after them temporarily. So Genie went to JM07's and Bug went to a friend's on sales livery. Moving Genie was a HUGE blow psychologically for me. JM07's yard is a bit too far to visit regularly unfortunately, however I knew she was in good hands. Meanwhile I gradually got more mobile...

2n9ym3o.jpg

2zf1jif.jpg

Bug went off on sales livery, and from there it started to unravel and we started to have more of an idea of why what had happened, happened. She ended up going to the vets with suspected Wobblers syndrome. They watched her on the ground and examined her and said she was fine, but myself and the lady who had her on livery pushed for x-rays.

The x-rays showed severe arthritis in the spine.

We made the decision to give Bug a week in the field and then sadly had her put to sleep. She wasn't the sort of horse that would retire happily, and at only 8 years old she was so incredibly young. The vet was absolutely astounded that she could move as well as she could considering the state her spine was in. Interestingly I now know of two others horses by the same stallion who have been put to sleep with back problems.

wtzjk.jpg

From there things have gone ok... my wrist cast came off 6 weeks after the accident and I was allowed to walk without crutches as well. I also... got the all clear to ride! A week later and less than 2 months after the accident trendybraincell very kindly let me ride the superstar that is Shadow. Getting on hurt A LOT, but once I was on I felt ok, with trot and canter more comfortable than walk. My right leg was definitely significantly weaker than the left - Shadow wouldn't give me canter from trot but would give me beautiful walk to canter transitions instead.

I also resumed teaching, and then saw my hat for the first time which made me feel a little ill...

2620b39.jpg

And then finally, at the end of April, Genie came home. Having her away was such a struggle for me mentally and it was good to have her back. She's the reason I get up and keep going, and my reason to do all the rehab. With her home I actually felt more complete than I had for months, as cheesy as it sounds!

35lya85.jpg

Genie has finally come back into work after her tendon injury last year. We are rehabbing together by doing 10 minutes of walk every other day. I still get pain in the hip and am on a watch list for bone necrosis as the blood supply to the bone was compromised when I dislocated it. However I am able to look after Genie again and have her home which is worth everything in the world.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Hello Miss C! Wow what a few months you have had! So sorry to hear about your accident...it sounds very nasty indeed and glad to hear you are making a good recovery. Really sorry to hear about Bug too but the right decision...she must have been in pain with her spine poor girl. Genie looks gorgeous as always...look after each other and get well soon. Massive hugs. X

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Goodness, you've been through an awful lot. That is a very scary fall.

I'm so sorry about Bug, goes to show how important it is to trust your gut that something is wrong. If you hadn't been so insistent, it may not have been picked up. She might have been passed on to her next owner and they may have been in serious danger. Such a sad outcome but a really responsible and safe decision. You may have saved someone's life.

It's so nice that you and Genie are recovering together. Wishing you both a quick recuperation. You have such a great bond with each other, it's lovely to read.

ihatework

Visit site
Gosh, that sounds both painful and worrying, glad you are starting to get back on track. And well done for taking the responsible decision on poor Bug.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a time you have had and so sad for bug but at least there was a reason she had you off so PTS was the kindest thing for her.....glad you have got genie back and that you are healing as well......good luck with your recovery and hope you will soon be fit and well.

alainax

Visit site
So glad to see you back, always loved your updates. Wow what a time you've had! Well done on the speedy recovery, may that continue!

only_me

Visit site
Flip, that's definitely a dramatic update!!

Glad you've come out the other side of things, and how lovely to read that other HHOers were able to help :)
Nothing feels as long as recovery, but at least you're well on your way :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Wow what an awful accident but a phenomenal recovery! I don't comment much but do read your HHO reports and only wondered a week or so ago what you were up to. Glad you're well on the road back to full health and very sorry about Bug.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
wow what a story! glad you're on the med and so sad to hear about Bug, its crazy how much pain they will put up with! did he give any clues before this incident that there might have been any pain? So pleased to hear that you can start little and often with Genie, sounds perfect, so you won't have to push yourself for a while yet:)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh my god, that's a helluva trip to go on, well done for sounding so positive and getting on with it. Very sad about Bug, but you definitely did the right and responsible thing by her. Looking forward to following your rehab journey!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Oh my goodness! What a horrible thing to happen. Thank goodness you seem to be on the mend now. Did the mare show any other signs that something was amiss before the accident?

Ceriann

Visit site
Well done you - that is one impressive recovery! I broke my hip in a mounting related fall in November 2014. I fractured and displaced the neck of femur so riding was out of the question for a while. It took a long time to get the confidence back and whilst it's still a work in progress my biggest focus now is addressing the balance, control and technique issues I have due yo the injury. Irrespective of the issues I'm loving riding again and maybe I appreciate it all a bit more as a result.

I hope you continue to make a fantastic and speedy recovery. It's lovely you get so much comfort from your mare. The cause of my injury is now a field ornament - I'm so sorry about the conclusion for yours but you did the right thing by her and avoided what happened to you happening to anyone else.

honetpot

Visit site
You are a star. I can not imagine how you have been feeling, I had a month confined to the house and almost went mad not being able to do things. Speedy full recovery.

chaps89

Visit site
Crikey. That was quite the fall you had. I'm glad you're on your way to recovery. What a shame that was the outcome for Bug but we'll done for insisting the investigation was done and then doing the right thing. I hope you continue to progress well.

Asha

Visit site
Good grief ! You poor thing , seriously scary accident. Glad you are on the mend, wishing you all the best x

DD

Visit site
Echo what the others have posted. Many Thanks for the update you really have been through the mill. Take care of yourself and take time for pampering.

Bernster

Visit site
Echo what the others have posted. Many Thanks for the update you really have been through the mill. Take care of yourself and take time for pampering.

Agree! What a story so sorry to read that but wishing you a full and speedy recovery. That's a lot to go through. Delighted that your Genie is back and you can rehab together.

miss_c

Visit site
Hello Miss C! Wow what a few months you have had! So sorry to hear about your accident...it sounds very nasty indeed and glad to hear you are making a good recovery. Really sorry to hear about Bug too but the right decision...she must have been in pain with her spine poor girl. Genie looks gorgeous as always...look after each other and get well soon. Massive hugs. X

Thank you :) They've not been the best that's for sure! I'm amazed Bug was as good as she was considering the state her spine was in love her. :(

Goodness, you've been through an awful lot. That is a very scary fall.

I'm so sorry about Bug, goes to show how important it is to trust your gut that something is wrong. If you hadn't been so insistent, it may not have been picked up. She might have been passed on to her next owner and they may have been in serious danger. Such a sad outcome but a really responsible and safe decision. You may have saved someone's life.

It's so nice that you and Genie are recovering together. Wishing you both a quick recuperation. You have such a great bond with each other, it's lovely to read.

Thank you! It's going to be a long road for Genie I think (we're over a year in so far) but it's enabling me to get back into the swing of things gradually. I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd sold her unknowingly and she'd seriously injured someone else. She had the most wonderful personality and it was so out of character for her.

Gosh, that sounds both painful and worrying, glad you are starting to get back on track. And well done for taking the responsible decision on poor Bug.

Thank you. The vet had said she might be comfortable as a broodmare or a surrogate mare, but 'might' wasn't good enough as I wasn't prepared for her to be in pain at all. I feel it was the best decision for her and in her best interests.

what a time you have had and so sad for bug but at least there was a reason she had you off so PTS was the kindest thing for her.....glad you have got genie back and that you are healing as well......good luck with your recovery and hope you will soon be fit and well.

Thank you. :) I've piled weight on and I wasn't small to begin with so that's a big priority now although my ability to exercise is limited at the moment... I'll get there! Finding out what was wrong with Bug actually helped me to get my head around it all... it justified and explained why she did that to me.

So glad to see you back, always loved your updates. Wow what a time you've had! Well done on the speedy recovery, may that continue!

Thank you! :)

Flip, that's definitely a dramatic update!!

Glad you've come out the other side of things, and how lovely to read that other HHOers were able to help :)
Nothing feels as long as recovery, but at least you're well on your way :)

Thank you! :) Yes I've beaten all expectations... it's been just over 4 months and I've been back in work now for about 2, as well as back in the saddle etc.

Wow what an awful accident but a phenomenal recovery! I don't comment much but do read your HHO reports and only wondered a week or so ago what you were up to. Glad you're well on the road back to full health and very sorry about Bug.

Thank you! :) It was by far the best decision for Bug, she was so willing and honest that even if I'd sold her as a companion I reckon somebody would have tried to ride her and that was not an option in my books. Plus she was the sort of horse that needed a job.

wow what a story! glad you're on the med and so sad to hear about Bug, its crazy how much pain they will put up with! did he give any clues before this incident that there might have been any pain? So pleased to hear that you can start little and often with Genie, sounds perfect, so you won't have to push yourself for a while yet:)

Thank you. :) She was a bit sticky in canter which we had put down to lack of balance and fitness (I bought her from the field) but before the accident nothing that made me think she needed investigations. I must admit I'd like to be pushing myself more on the riding front, but G's tendon isn't up to that so she's making me be sensible!

Goodness what a time you've had. Glad you're on the road to recovery.

Thank you :)

Oh my god, that's a helluva trip to go on, well done for sounding so positive and getting on with it. Very sad about Bug, but you definitely did the right and responsible thing by her. Looking forward to following your rehab journey!

Thank you! One day at a time and I keep on trying! :)

Oh my goodness! What a horrible thing to happen. Thank goodness you seem to be on the mend now. Did the mare show any other signs that something was amiss before the accident?

Thank you. :) The canter was a bit sticky which we put down to lack of balance and fitness but she was never nasty and tried so hard. She was such a sweetheart which made a change compared to Genie's aloofness!

Well done you - that is one impressive recovery! I broke my hip in a mounting related fall in November 2014. I fractured and displaced the neck of femur so riding was out of the question for a while. It took a long time to get the confidence back and whilst it's still a work in progress my biggest focus now is addressing the balance, control and technique issues I have due yo the injury. Irrespective of the issues I'm loving riding again and maybe I appreciate it all a bit more as a result.

I hope you continue to make a fantastic and speedy recovery. It's lovely you get so much comfort from your mare. The cause of my injury is now a field ornament - I'm so sorry about the conclusion for yours but you did the right thing by her and avoided what happened to you happening to anyone else.

I hope your recovery also goes well! Genie has helped me for almost 9 years now and I can't imagine life without her. Bug didn't leave me with a choice really... the thought of it happening to somebody else makes me feel a little ill and I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

Oh my goodness what a terrible time you've had.
But lovely that you have Genie back. I hope you both continue to recover well x

You poor thing but I'm so pleased that you and Genie are re-habbing nicely now x

Thank you, we'll get there! :)

You are a star. I can not imagine how you have been feeling, I had a month confined to the house and almost went mad not being able to do things. Speedy full recovery.

The 11 days in hospital were the longest of my life... it says something when the highlight of your day is Jeremy Kyle! I was so glad to be able to get back to work and also to be able to drive again and have my independence back.

Crikey. That was quite the fall you had. I'm glad you're on your way to recovery. What a shame that was the outcome for Bug but we'll done for insisting the investigation was done and then doing the right thing. I hope you continue to progress well.

Thank you. :)

Echo what everyone else has said, and wishing you a continued strong recovery.

Good grief ! You poor thing , seriously scary accident. Glad you are on the mend, wishing you all the best x

Thank you :) Now I'm back at work I don't have time for myself anymore! Glad to be able to be back working though!

Agree! What a story so sorry to read that but wishing you a full and speedy recovery. That's a lot to go through. Delighted that your Genie is back and you can rehab together.

Thank you :) Having G back is wonderful, I hated every day she was away even though I knew that JM07 was taking phenomenal care of her.