It's CONFORMATION not CONFIRMATION. (Pedantic thread)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's 'bored by', I thought...but perhaps 'bored of' is correct as well these days?

That's an interesting one. I think you can correctly say both.

I was thinking of other words to replace 'bored' such as 'tired'. You would usually say 'I am tired of this' rather than 'I am tired by this'. Unless you are saying that something has 'tired you out'.

amandap

Visit site
That's an interesting one. I think you can correctly say both.

I was thinking of other words to replace 'bored' such as 'tired'. You would usually say 'I am tired of this' rather than 'I am tired by this'. Unless you are saying that something has 'tired you out'.
The first time I read it I thought bored of wasn't right but as I said I don't know anymore. Bored with is what I thought was correct, but as you point out context is important. Mmmm, I wish I'd studied harder at school. :rolleyes:

D66

Visit site
I get unduly upset by the people who demonstrate their lack of understanding of the difference between "of" and "off". Not a typo but a regular misuse.

note to self - must learn to relax.

Anglebracket

Visit site
English spelling isn't easy. First, English has so many homophones. Second, there is not always a clear relationship between the way a word is spelled and the way it is pronounced.

That said, I am surprised at how many people cannot distinguish between affect and effect. Even journalists seem to frequently get this wrong.

Brightbay

Visit site
Ah, are we allowed to be pedantic about the world outside the forum?

How about the common weather forecaster use of "sunny interludes"... I keep waiting for the music to start when the sun comes out, but so far I've been disappointed.

Also choice. I get quite ranty when someone tells me I have "two choices". No, I don't. I have a choice. I may have several options, but I have A choice.

hest

Visit site
LOL, this thread is right up my street.

Personal pet hates include:

"I'll give it 110%" Nooooo, it is theoretically NOT possible to give more than 100%

I want to punch anyone who says: "At the end of the day....."

Manege/menage: I know 'menage' is wrong but there is something really cringeworthy about saying 'manege' (I don't know why), that I conscientiously object and say 'arena' or 'school' instead!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
LOL, this thread is right up my street.

Personal pet hates include:

"I'll give it 110%" Nooooo, it is theoretically NOT possible to give more than 100%

I want to punch anyone who says: "At the end of the day....."

Manege/menage: I know 'menage' is wrong but there is something really cringeworthy about saying 'manege' (I don't know why), that I conscientiously object and say 'arena' or 'school' instead!

I feel exactly the same! I always say arena.

And how about how you are supposed to pronounce gilet. If you pronouce it correctly (the French way) it sounds a bit pretentious somehow and I always feel a bit awkward.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
A horse is out of the mare and by the stallion. So many people state their horse being out of the stallion, what is that about. Oh & thank god my daughter does not do this, but when people talk about what someone has said why oh why do they "And she/he goes to me" goes where exactly? or "went to me" Do you mean "And she/he SAID to me"?

fburton

Visit site
'Viscious' rather than 'vicious'.

Hounds not dogs.
Agree 'hounds' is the convention, but they are a type of dog!

Not strictly speaking a grammar error, but I hate phrases like 'at this moment in time'. Just say 'now' FFS!
And other Management Speak, such as 'going forward' instead of 'in (the) future'. *puke*

When I assured someone at work that I would "give it [the task] 109%", I got a funny look back as if I had promised less than my best. :D

DifficultMare

Visit site
Your and you're and their, there and they're!!:eek: Of course there are many others but don't want to end up ranting on such a beautiful day :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
When I assured someone at work that I would "give it [the task] 109%", I got a funny look back as if I had promised less than my best. :D

LMAO! :D That's hilarious. It always makes me laugh when I (accidentally) catch a bit of Jeramey Kyle, and the guests are arguing 'He is 110% sure he is not the Dad, but she is 1000% sure he is!' Well he MUST be then. :D

ribbons

Visit site
Oooh the one that really rattles my cage. It's not even a spelling mistake.
"she might not of known" Ahhhhh
"she might not HAVE known"

Capriole

Visit site
I can't remember if this is in the thread and I don't want to read it all again to see, but

I brought a new horse. Brought? Brought? You bought it you mean?

Jo_x

Visit site
I can't remember if this is in the thread and I don't want to read it all again to see, but

I brought a new horse. Brought? Brought? You bought it you mean?

I brought my new horse (home). No point buying it if you leave it with its old owner :D

ribbons

Visit site
Never seen her write it but my sister always says pacific instead of specific.
Drives me mad because she knows it's wrong.