It's going to be a long night :(

Tayto

Visit site
I moved my horse to a new yard today. Problem is, it's literally a few fields away from our old yard. So popped her in the new field this morning thinking she would be fine as she is normally so placid. 2 hours later she managed to escape. We put her back but 5 mins later she was out again. My friend was due to join us later in the day (her horse was in the same herd as mine at the last yard) so we put my girl in a stable till my friends horse arrived. Put them out in the field together and all seemed well. My girl seemed happy to see her chum and they started grazing. Me and my friend popped away for 30 mins to get some food. Got back and my horse was making her way down the road! I got a hold of her and put her back in the field while the yard manager tried to find the escape route. 5 mins later here comes my horse, escaped AGAIN!! I kept a hold of her while the field was checked for escape routes. The possible route was found and fenced off. She has been back in the field for an hour now with (fingers crossed) no escaping. It's going to be a long night. I am going to do a drive by every hour. The thing is - to begin with I thought she was trying to get back to her old field but she is totally chilled out. She gets out then just grazes at the side of the path. When I catch her she looks at me as if to say "oh hi, yeah I just fancied the grass out here so thought I would have a wander". Oh dear - positive vibes please!

Last edited:

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
that's a worry. doesn't sound like the fencing is adequate or safe. best check that the new yard has good public liability as they as the landowners would be responsible should an accident occurs. I would have shut her in her stable for the night to be on the safe side.

Tayto

Visit site
Well we did consider putting her in the stable but her field friend got very distressed when we took her out and there was only 1 free stable available...