Its Official Shetland Ponies Will Eat Anything!

Visit site
It started when I went to check the girls the other day and had nothing to give them (not that they need anything!) But I had a tub of Twiglets in my car. Charm and SOS quite happily inhaled twiglets. Pippa spat hers out in disgust - SOS was in like a shot incase she changed her mind! I put a pic on fb of the lip licking and nose curling that happened after. Many people commented that they were with Pips in not liking twiglets so I jokingly said I would give them Wasabi Peas next time ...

Roll on to today where I find myself with Wasabi Peas in the car ... SOS took one, crunched it, swallowed it, asked for more! Charm took one - ok she inhaled one because she barely chews anything! And asked for another. Pips, who didn't like Twiglets, eats one. Crunches it, pulls a face and asks for more.

So I said sod it! This will teach you bunch of greedy buggers! 6 wasabi peas each in one go! The only one to pull a bit of a face was Charm because she actually chewed them this time! Pips and SOS just ate them as though I were giving them a handful of pony cubes!

Shetland Ponies clearly do NOT have any taste receptors!!!

albeg

Visit site
My Connemara/hairy dustbin would like to know if he can come visit you and eat delicious things that his mean owner won't let him have?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sniggers.... never thought of trying wasabi on my 2!
TF has eaten kedgeree, bananas, bacon, and also olives stuffed with pimentos, I'm going to try with wasabi, but I suspect the nuts or peas will go the same way! 🤣🤣

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I used to have a Fell pony that if loose on the farmyard would see off the farm dogs and steal their food from their dishes, a nasty smelling mix of bits of boiled sheep's heads and biscuits.

Mrs B

Visit site
Love it! Mind you, they'd have to fight me for anything Marmite-y ...

I had a cribber a few years ago and was trying out things to limit what he cribbed on. Cribox, mustard powder etc had all worked a bit but not enough. Harissa paste was mentioned ... so off I wandered to buy some, slathered it on ... and turned around to find my other horse with his eyes half closed, dreamily slurping all the Harissa paste off ... :rolleyes:

Visit site
Shetlands are out for world domination i tell you!

My lot will truly eat anything but they know to wait for what they are being given, would never steal anything off of an adult - children are fair game though! I rarely give them treats so a treat really is a treat! I just wasn't expecting wasabi peas to go down quite so well!

albeg

Visit site
I love this post, my spoiled lot inhale carrots and polos but if they get a parsnip in the sack instead of a carrot, their faces are a picture, the same if pear is substituted for apple lol...

Fiona

Bob says post the parsnips and pears his way and he'll dispose of them... 😂

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
My last horse (RIP) had a thing for vegemite sandwiches.
We were on group grass livery and used to have the horses wandering around loose together in a fenced off area whilst we made feeds, groomed, chatted, etc.
My dearly departed horse could open zips on bags. Each livery used to meet up in the morning with a packed lunch in their bags/rucksacks, and then we would spend the day grooming, hacking out, etc.
The number of howls, complaints and WTF as everyone post ride would go to get their lunch only to find their belongings had been ransacked,. Their sandwiches eaten with only the crusts left behind on the ground. Dare I mention my horse hated crusts.
He also loved soap suds and bubbles. I remember washing my car only for him to eagerly lick the soap suds off it before I had a chance to hose it off.
So miss him, he was such a character.

Chippers1

Visit site
My old pony used to mob the kids on the yard for their pot noodle water (gross) chicken and mushroom was his favourite!
He also nicked a sausage roll from the basket out hunting, and chased someone for a mcdonald's cheeseburger. He was crazy. New pony is much more disconcerting and doesn't even like most hard feeds!

We also have a sheep on our yard who eats literally anything within sheep range, caught her eating a whole chocolate orange the other day. Has been known to eat polos in their wrapper and is an absolute missile if you're not guarding your slow eating horse (like mine...) I've never seen a sheep move so quickly! Most people know to keep stuff out of her reach but there's always someone who forgets...

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I LOVE marmite peanuts! They are awesome but a rare find in these parts sadly!

Shetlands also can't be spotted. They can be any colour except for spotted to be true to the breed and registered 😉

I did wonder if they were purebred they looked a bit to lightly built.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I LOVE marmite peanuts! They are awesome but a rare find in these parts sadly!

Shetlands also can't be spotted. They can be any colour except for spotted to be true to the breed and registered 😉

I did wonder if they were purebred they looked a bit to lightly built.

Pc2003

Visit site
I can report that Connemaras also eat anything. My yearling has a bad head collar chewing habit so I’ve just doused it in lemon juice. My eyes were positively stinging. He still inhaled the whole thing and continued to suck it 🙄