It's the Eventing Euros this week

Surbie

Visit site
That was definitely worth watching, even with the sometimes dodgy audio. I wonder how many would have finished the XC with the extra 2 mins in as so many looked weary by the end.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hope you ladies have had a fabulous time. Was it easy to travel to? Good places to stay? I really fancy watching some foreign events. I’d love to do Pau, but it clashes with Halloween, which is one of my busiest times at the café.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
We booked accommodation in Nov, tickets and ferry in Jan/Feb. It’s very easy and the events are much more informal. I keep trying to get to Pau but things keep being annoying, mostly flight times or flight prices.
Aachen next on the hit list.

ihatework

Visit site
There didn't seem to be huge crowds there? Not very many spectators at the SJ?

That's in comparison to Badminton/Burghley with all the tiered seating.

It’s very different to Badminton/Burghley and even the bigger 4*. Much smaller affair and quite frankly much nicer! Very similar scale to the worlds at Pratoni last year that I also went to.

YourValentine

Visit site
I did Pau last year by train. Booked the trains (Eurostar and TGV) months in advance to get good prices, and it was so easy.
Booking in advance meant that I got a 1st Class TGV seat for €2 more than standard class.
I saw the Lourve and Effiel Tower crossing Paris to change stations.
See "Man in seat 61" for details in how.

Lovely laid back event, not overly crowded so you can see lots and walk all round the XC which is quite flat.

Buses from the town centre to the course.

Pau it's self is very pretty, with a few museums etc if you want to do non horsey stuff.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I missed the last showjumping (was at the yard) but have just caught up with the results! Fabulous double gold, really pleased for Kitty too with her silver.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There didn't seem to be huge crowds there? Not very many spectators at the SJ?

That's in comparison to Badminton/Burghley with all the tiered seating.

They seemed very noisy though! On Xc day they were cheering and shouting as horses were mid fence, or halfway through combinations. Not at all like here. Bit like the walking on the course! It’s all very informal.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
That’s better, re the Burghley entries, but I think entries close tomorrow, so nowhere near the full field. And lots of unknown names, who may not get round. I’m still thinking I won’t bother going. 25 each day for dressage, doesn’t seem worth it!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
They seemed very noisy though! On Xc day they were cheering and shouting as horses were mid fence, or halfway through combinations. Not at all like here. Bit like the walking on the course! It’s all very informal.
Allez allez allez - it was brilliant and riders really responded! I thought it was fab and made crowds get into it and fun for kids. Lots of flags being waved for every nation etc.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Can we all write to the bbc and complain about lack of coverage of our success on the news . I’ve just written a really long complaint and have previously complained about similar and when I got to the end it now wants the ref no of the previous complaint, GRRR how the F..am I supposed to know that. So I’ve now got to start again.. but please can everyone complain as it’s bad that we get told about the men’s football failures in detail yet our equine successes are ignored . I know it’s on their website but Joe Public should also be told on the sport news on TV

reynold

Visit site
Equestrian sport really 'ticks' the 'woke' boxes. Men and women compete on equal terms. There is no age barrier - 17 yr olds can compete against 68 yr olds. There are plenty of LGBT riders. There would be no issues in regard to transgender competitors. There is no issue in regard to race.

Add that onto the fact that it was a 'Euros' competition in equestrian sport where we traditionally do well.

I've also got a beef with Eurosport on a similar vein. Their 2 channels are free to air on Sky/Virgin/BT and were scheduled to show the GCT grand prix live from 5.30 to 8pm yesterday. Instead we got repeats of chat and other sports. This is about the 5th time SJ has been scheduled and not shown.

I intend to write to the sponsors of the CGT, Longines, and point out to them that Eurosport's actions are reducing their advertising reach, particularly as this was a UK competition on a UK channel.