It's the Eventing Euros this week

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Just noticed this thread...TFF might have told you, we live just a stone's throw from the Haras du Pin; I walk up to it and back(old man substitute for running now with bum knee,) every morning...rr
Can you tell me about the avenue of dreams with all the hedges and Irish banks? Also the small xc schooling area just off it?

Parrotperson

Visit site
Up to 61 entries now.

Still not great. Some will withdraw anyway for pre event injuries as they always do. Remember when there were 120 odd entries requiring a wait list?!

It’s a shame. If they have let’s say 55 starters and maybe 30 get home in x country day (maybe more but it is Burghley!) then it’d be difficult to justify the price (I’d need accommodation too)

It was until recently possible to go to Badminton/Burghley with 85 starters and get say 60 round so you could see practically every fence jumped (or not depending on the combination!)

The new FEI rule will ruin 5* event’s profitability if they’re not careful, although I can see why they made it a rule.

TGM

Visit site
I've also got a beef with Eurosport on a similar vein. Their 2 channels are free to air on Sky/Virgin/BT and were scheduled to show the GCT grand prix live from 5.30 to 8pm yesterday. Instead we got repeats of chat and other sports. This is about the 5th time SJ has been scheduled and not shown.

I intend to write to the sponsors of the CGT, Longines, and point out to them that Eurosport's actions are reducing their advertising reach, particularly as this was a UK competition on a UK channel.
The LGCT 5* Grand Prix in London started at 2.15pm UK time so perhaps Eurosport did show it live, but not at the time you expected.

teapot

Visit site
Still not great. Some will withdraw anyway for pre event injuries as they always do. Remember when there were 120 odd entries requiring a wait list?!

It’s a shame. If they have let’s say 55 starters and maybe 30 get home in x country day (maybe more but it is Burghley!) then it’d be difficult to justify the price (I’d need accommodation too)

It was until recently possible to go to Badminton/Burghley with 85 starters and get say 60 round so you could see practically every fence jumped (or not depending on the combination!)

The new FEI rule will ruin 5* event’s profitability if they’re not careful, although I can see why they made it a rule.

Burghley historically has never had the entries Badminton has (entry numbers in the 70s and 60s are not that uncommon in recent years).

TheMule

Visit site
Just noticed this thread...TFF might have told you, we live just a stone's throw from the Haras du Pin; I walk up to it and back(old man substitute for running now with bum knee,) every morning...rr

You live in a very beautiful place- our group are all plotting a move over…. It’s a perfect place for enjoying horses!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You live in a very beautiful place- our group are all plotting a move over…. It’s a perfect place for enjoying horses!
He does! RR put photos up quite a long time ago, he used to have his own horses at home too, I well remember his tales of riding Incarna over to the stud.
@Hobo2 has been over to RRs 😎

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I liked the posts Kitty King put up too. She said she felt that her horse was often overlooked for flashier equines, but now everyone can see how good he is. And I agree, he’s been right up there in big competitions for a long time. It’s about time he had a 5* win!

KEK

Visit site
I liked the posts Kitty King put up too. She said she felt that her horse was often overlooked for flashier equines, but now everyone can see how good he is. And I agree, he’s been right up there in big competitions for a long time. It’s about time he had a 5* win!
It will be super interesting to see what the selectors do for the Paris team..does Kitty get on it now? She got a higher dressage mark but she got the job done unlike the other 2 and it's a team of 3 with no drop score..?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It will be interesting. It’s almost harder when you’ve got so many top class possibilities. But they have seemed pretty good at putting successful teams together over the last few years!

Reactions: KEK

claracanter

Visit site
Equestrian sport really 'ticks' the 'woke' boxes. Men and women compete on equal terms. There is no age barrier - 17 yr olds can compete against 68 yr olds. There are plenty of LGBT riders. There would be no issues in regard to transgender competitors. There is no issue in regard to race.

Add that onto the fact that it was a 'Euros' competition in equestrian sport where we traditionally do well.

I've also got a beef with Eurosport on a similar vein. Their 2 channels are free to air on Sky/Virgin/BT and were scheduled to show the GCT grand prix live from 5.30 to 8pm yesterday. Instead we got repeats of chat and other sports. This is about the 5th time SJ has been scheduled and not shown.

I intend to write to the sponsors of the CGT, Longines, and point out to them that Eurosport's actions are reducing their advertising reach, particularly as this was a UK competition on a UK channel.
Yes all very woke and inclusive but maybe not very diverse. Also Animal Rising are not big fans, they want all ridden horses to be released into the wild to roam free. Totally nuts.

RichardRider

Visit site
Can you tell me about the avenue of dreams with all the hedges and Irish banks? Also the small xc schooling area just off it?
Hello, unfortunately I cannot. As most of the older members of our "Good Morning Thread" in ClubHouse can tell you, when I rode(stopped about a year and a half ago, at 69 due to stupid blood pressure medicine dizziness when riding,) I was not a competitive rider, just jumping and dressage at the club for fun and riding out of our small farm. The German Coupe, both ex-eventers, staying at our gite this year both said it was the FINEST competitive layout in Europe, so probably a good review. Sorry I can't be of any help to you with regard to course technicalities....cheers...rr

RichardRider

Visit site
Hello, it's rather "affordable" compared to many places closer to Deauville(speaking of l'Orne, where the Haras du Pin is located...) If ever you wish to head over for a look round you may PM me and we do rent a cottage on our farm through AirBnB or contact us direct...

TheMule

Visit site
It will be super interesting to see what the selectors do for the Paris team..does Kitty get on it now? She got a higher dressage mark but she got the job done unlike the other 2 and it's a team of 3 with no drop score..?

She was also much quicker than the other 2. I think she has to get a spot, though her nervous riding in the SJ might count against her (wasn’t he a legend!)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
She was also much quicker than the other 2. I think she has to get a spot, though her nervous riding in the SJ might count against her (wasn’t he a legend!)

It's a tough one isn't it... Froggy's xc record is just a little bit chequered in places... But London 52 and Banzai have both blotted their copybook in quite high profile circumstances in the last 18 months. Ros and Walter's consistency in all 3 phases puts them in a different league. Will be interesting to see piggy and Brookfield Inocent on the comeback trail at Burghley too, because he could also be a contender for selection if on form??

KEK

Visit site
It's a tough one isn't it... Froggy's xc record is just a little bit chequered in places... But London 52 and Banzai have both blotted their copybook in quite high profile circumstances in the last 18 months. Ros and Walter's consistency in all 3 phases puts them in a different league. Will be interesting to see piggy and Brookfield Inocent on the comeback trail at Burghley too, because he could also be a contender for selection if on form??
Yes, I was thinking that too. Ros is obviously a certainty (obviously assuming he stays sound) but the other 2 places will be interesting! Would assume not JL Dublin as both big last XC runs didn't go to plan.. Londons error smaller than the other 2 but it looked super hard work for her. Will be good to see Arthur back at the top level at Burghley, maybe favourite?
Agree Froggy did great job!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yes, I was thinking that too. Ros is obviously a certainty (obviously assuming he stays sound) but the other 2 places will be interesting! Would assume not JL Dublin as both big last XC runs didn't go to plan.. Londons error smaller than the other 2 but it looked super hard work for her. Will be good to see Arthur back at the top level at Burghley, maybe favourite?

London had that run out at Pratoni too... I think Laura does a great job, but for me, I'm just not sure he's the true xc all-weather all-terrain type that I love. Feel like we're missing the xc guarantee and speed that Toledo and Ballaghmor Class brought to the team.

Edited to add - funny fact - Walter's xc record is impeccable nearly everywhere, but he's picked up xc penalties at Aston 3 times - the place we all consider to be the most "straightforward" for national classes - I feel he may have a sense of humour 😂

Visit site
Of course next year is another year and a good badminton for JL Dublin could alter things again….

Reactions: KEK

KEK

Visit site
London had that run out at Pratoni too... I think Laura does a great job, but for me, I'm just not sure he's the true xc all-weather all-terrain type that I love. Feel like we're missing the xc guarantee and speed that Toledo and Ballaghmor Class brought to the team.
Better dressage but as you say lacking the all around. B.C not great at SJ though and assuming 2 rounds again? Toledo can do all 3.. Guess they will all have to keep fighting for their spots again. They might all have to go to badminton rather than wrap them in cotton wool.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Better dressage but as you say lacking the all around. B.C not great at SJ though and assuming 2 rounds again? Toledo can do all 3.. Guess they will all have to keep fighting for their spots again. They might all have to go to badminton rather than wrap them in cotton wool.
I think they're too old for serious consideration for next year now (I could be wrong)

teapot

Visit site
I’m not convinced London 52 is a team horse (however good he is) and all it takes is for one minor blip and he backs off. Laura used every ounce of her talent to get him home at Haras! (I also wonder whether he’d have actually got home at Badminton last year if they hadn’t been held…) He show jumped extremely well though.

I can see Ros going, all things being well, and actually Tom J could be in with a shout too!

Versailles will be reasonably flat course wise bar some man made mounds, albeit a bit twisty in parts (I did see a rough course location map recently). Weather wise - could be anything from heavy rain to 35 degrees that last week of July in Paris.

Who’d be a selector?

fetlock

Visit site
I didn’t realise the equestrian events will be at Versailles (or that it holds events generally). What an amazing Olympic venue.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I was wondering the other day whether Piggy’s declining of being reserve at the last Olympics might have dropped her from team selection in the future (I know it was difficult for her).

London 52 has a pretty good record. Better than Tom’s horse overall..(I think). Both are good!

I hope Kitty gets her self belief back. She has done so well for a long time with this horse.

teapot

Visit site
I didn’t realise the equestrian events will be at Versailles (or that it holds events generally). What an amazing Olympic venue.

It doesn’t! It’s a one off venue, much like Greenwich was.

Location wise - the course and arena will be about as far away from the palace as possible 😂 Be a great view though!

fetlock

Visit site
It doesn’t! It’s a one off venue, much like Greenwich was.

Location wise - the course and arena will be about as far away from the palace as possible 😂 Be a great view though!

Aah. Saw there was international SJ there in 2017 and assumed it wasn’t a one off.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I was wondering the other day whether Piggy’s declining of being reserve at the last Olympics might have dropped her from team selection in the future (I know it was difficult for her).
I can't see it being a factor.

The travel to Tokyo and back is a lot to ask any owner to put their horse through, and particularly take all that risk of travel and then be unlikely to compete or have any share in the success.

Parrotperson

Visit site
plus this years Burghley and next years Badminton will come into play re who might be on the long list.

I would agree Teapot about London 52. He seems a little short of stamina at top level. If that course at Haras duPin had been the full course I think she would've struggled to finish.

Kitty said Vendredi Biats hated it but he got home without looking that tired.

A long list might also include Harry Meade and Emily King for example. There are others who will get on it. I mean you wouldn't rule out William Fox Pitt!!

It's a ways away and the only one who all being well is a dead cert is Walter!!