I've found the cure to ALL coldness in winter when with horses..

HorsesHavingFun

Visit site
Wear a onesie UNDER your horsey clothes! All the warmth, none of the embarrasment!

I just wore a onesie, jods, and a hoody and I was so warm :D

Sorry for the random, slightly pointless to some, post, I just enjoyed not being cold at the horses for once in my life :D Though I've yet to try riding with a onesie underneath....that comes next..

Bennions Field

Visit site
i've found age has a good inbuilt central heating system, sadly hot flushes dont time themselves very well ! if only they happened when its below freezing and outside and not inside when the heating is on !

Ealana

Visit site
I've a similar thing: leggings/pyjamas + trackies underneath oil skin overalls. Looks fine but super cosy and toasty warm :)

Anyone know a good way for heating up shoulders/ too of back? Despite wearing layer upon layer (base layers + polo shirts + jumpers + gilets + jackets) my shoulders always end up cold :(

khalswitz

Visit site
I personally wear a pair of fleece pj bums and fleecy socks, then a pair of tights to flatten it all down, and pj fleece top tucked in to tights to stop awful cold midriff syndrome. Then gilet, then hoody, then jacket, and pair of leggings then jodhs, and in really cold salopettes on top. Plus a buff and woolly hat. And I can ride, slightly Michelin-esque, but since when it's that cold the school is normally snowed over it's hacking anyway ;)

However I really feel the cold, and it gets to -18 up here...

ETA You do look majorly obese, but at least you can blame the layers and not the Christmas food...

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Massage a few drops of baby oil (or whatever oil you like) to wet skin after a shower. Keeps me warm all day.

If you're really crazy, turn the shower to cold for the last couple of minutes. It increases circulation and immunity against viruses and regulates body temperature. Its a bit masochistic but it does warm you up a bit.

Marydoll

Visit site
i've found age has a good inbuilt central heating system, sadly hot flushes dont time themselves very well ! if only they happened when its below freezing and outside and not inside when the heating is on !

Aaah the menapausal furnace, been there, starred in that, dead of winter in snow and ice, sitting in a t shirt and jeans for coffee during mucking out

Enfys

Visit site
I personally wear a pair of fleece pj bums and fleecy socks, then a pair of tights to flatten it all crikedown, and pj fleece top tucked in to tights to stopwful cold midriff syndrome. Then gilet, then hoody, then jacket, and pair of leggings then jodhs, and in really cold salopettes on top. Plus a buff and woolly hat. And I can ride, slightly Michelin-esque, but since when it's that cold the school is normally snowed over it's hacking anyway ;)

However I really feel the cold, and it gets to -18 up here...

ETA You do look majorly obese, but at least you can blame the layers and not the Christmas food...
Crikey! -18, where do you live?! :eek:

Enfys

Visit site
Aaah the menapausal furnace, been there, starred in that, dead of winter in snow land ice, sitting in a t shirt and jeans for coffee during mucking out
Well my menopausal furnace is bloody useless, only comes on at night, I have to go outside to cool down. Not impressed :(

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've a similar thing: leggings/pyjamas + trackies underneath oil skin overalls. Looks fine but super cosy and toasty warm :)

Anyone know a good way for heating up shoulders/ too of back? Despite wearing layer upon layer (base layers + polo shirts + jumpers + gilets + jackets) my shoulders always end up cold :(

Have you tried adding a separate neck warmer to your layer of clothes? Maybe they're easiest to find in stores specializing in sport, motorcycle or hunting equipment, here is just a few examples that I found through a Google image search:

rm13_xlarge.jpg

winkel1_019.jpg

JJ_Pro_neck_warmer.jpg

lindberg_fleecekrage_cerise-25154694-385069769-frntl.jpg

3B7101X_4694.jpg

If you knit, you could perhaps search for a knitting pattern, and make one to yourself

PicotsjalKlar2.JPG

Mike007

Visit site
Yes I have to confess that the cold does tend to slow me down, but generaly not before at least minus 35 C . The worst temperatures are betwean +4 and minus 7 when it is still damp and cold instead of just cold. Dry cold when all the moisture has frozen out is great.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
storing all the good ideas nothad a proper horsey winter up here yet does anyone have overall recommendations? Ealena I have a buff with fleece at the top although it's not on my shoulders its fab for stopping all the drafts ... I hate a cold neck and drafty shoulders. Its yet to get properly cold here though I was out in just a tshirt and microfleece last night.

khalswitz

Visit site
Crikey! -18, where do you live?! :eek:

Between Aberdeen and Braemar - in the hills ;). That was at about 4.30am last winter one morning in January, according to our outdoor thermometer. It regularly hits -8 to -10 between snowfalls, and most years in the last five has hit -15, but -18 was definitely the coldest I can remember...

Marydoll

Visit site
Well my menopausal furnace is bloody useless, only comes on at night, I have to go outside to cool down. Not impressed :(

Mine used to be on every night as well, absolutely hellish, i noticed if i laid of the sweet stuff that it wasnt half as bad as it had been, chocolate and sweets definitely made it worse for me. Its not the first time ive had to get up, shower and then drip dry as the heat was so intense. Made the big mistake of getting a memory foam mattress, omg it was like being in a cooker !

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I really feel the cold but am OK as long as I have a long knee length down coat on and my Ariat Glaciers, in fact I was roasting this morning in that and had to strip off to just my hoody after mucking out. I think keeping your bum and legs warm in a long coat really makes a difference to how cold you get.