I've just "bought" my first mini shetland… what do I need to know?

Jules111

Visit site
It's a baby. A very cute baby who would be very easy to over indulge. It's already made a bid for freedom, bit me and given the very best cuddles that made me sit on the floor of his stable for an hour scratching him. I already love him and I expect he'll be here forever. So those of you who have experience of these very cute but pretty useless moneypits… what do I need to know?

meleeka

Visit site
Get him castrated as soon as you can. They have enough attitude without the balls!

Depending on your set up, do try and keep him with others. They are tougher than they look and will usually be able to get out of trouble quickly. A good tip when introducing him to others is to make him a little pen with electric. Once they are used to him, remove the bottom strands so that he has a bolt hole and can duck under to safety if needs be. I’d also teach him about fencing while he’s little, it’s easier to not confine them too much or they see it as a challenge ?. For a Shetland mine is very good with fencing. Two strands keep him in which I’m very pleased about.

Mine is brave and funny and is the only one of my herd that gets on equally with everyone. They all let him share their buckets, if any of the others tried it there’s be trouble! He likes to be busy, so plenty of walks is a good idea as he matures.

I thunk everyone should own one. Mine makes me laugh every day and I will probably end up with a herd one day.

Of course it is illegal to not post photos of said cute Shetland ?

Apercrumbie

Visit site
You need to know that your life will never be the same again.

Don't leave anything precious lying around - they will either pick it up in their mouth and run around with it, or roll on it and break it, probably both.

Main advice is to handle as much as possible. It is in most Shetlands' natures to try to push boundaries, so the more you are setting them, the less trouble you will have. Catching, bringing in, grooming, leading and general fussing daily will do the world of good. In particular practice picking up feet as often as you can, particularly hinds. Ours can still try it on in his teens.....

Good fencing is a must - we are lucky in that ours doesn't need anything special, but a low battery will result in a pony being somewhere that he shouldn't so make sure your fencing is robust and well electrified. Again, they will normally try to push it but as long as what they're pushing against is firm, they will give in quickly.

On a management point, exercise as much as you can to avoid weight gain. They unfortunately are so prone to lami - ours needs constant management and unfortunately spends his grazing life in a muzzle, but it's better than the alternative. If you can keep yours slimmer through exercise (eg. ride & lead) you might escape it. Keep an eye out for sweet itch too - like many native breeds they are prone.

Our almost spontaneous purchase meant to be an easy and fun companion has turned out to be much higher maintenance than we thought, but he is the most entertaining, inquisitive, joyful, cheeky and hilarious pony and I wouldn't change any of it. They're the best!

Jules111

Visit site
Thank you for your help, particularly for the tips on fencing. I'll be turning him out with an old boy who can hopefully teach mini devil how to behave in a field. I'll make sure I run a low enough electric fencing line to keep the little bugger in.

I expect i'll end up with a few littlies. He's so funny and cheeky I can understand how you end up with more. They're like little cute gremlins ;)

SEH

Visit site
I have one who is amazing. They put on weight so quickly though and she is always hungry! Especially this time of year, she calls for us constantly to be let out of her slimming world paddock. It has taken about 8 years for her to grow up but they are slow developers! She was so difficult to catch in spring despite being handled loads and on a restricted grass diet, but recently she has really settled and has become so loving. Never be tempted to lift grazing restrictions either! Also if you have other horses, be careful they don't fight over him! Mine argue over who gets to protect her for the day, but that may be because she is a mare I dont know!

Visit site
From someone who has a tinies, absolutely agree that you have to treat them like a horse, same boundaries. We have so much cuddle time and fun but everyone has always commented that we are very lucky that we have such well behaved minis, its not luck, its the same work we put in with anything bigger. Also makes them far nicer to handle for tiny people too who are visiting. Your life will never be the same again, as they are so fun. Agree with getting gelded as soon as possible (I'm now not sure if i read if its a colt??), tiny front hooves boxing you when you open the stable door and trying to lead was like leading a tiger on a piece of string. Vet did our wee chap at home, surprisingly quick and easy. Dinky muzzles are brilliant (they do wear through but worth their weight in gold).

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have one who is amazing. They put on weight so quickly though and she is always hungry! Especially this time of year, she calls for us constantly to be let out of her slimming world paddock. It has taken about 8 years for her to grow up but they are slow developers! She was so difficult to catch in spring despite being handled loads and on a restricted grass diet, but recently she has really settled and has become so loving. Never be tempted to lift grazing restrictions either! Also if you have other horses, be careful they don't fight over him! Mine argue over who gets to protect her for the day, but that may be because she is a mare I dont know!

Years ago I used to keep a pony in a field with a friend's Shetland. One day a dog got in to the field and started chasing the Shetland round the field. My pony ran in between the dog and the shetland kicking out at it and then chased it out of the field.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, but my pony was very clearly protecting the shetland.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My mini has been somewhat neglected in her life and had very little handling before she came here so is pretty nervous of humans. Cuddles are definitely off the agenda. ?

Am wondering if I ought to get another one for the purpose of cuddling. ?

meleeka

Visit site
My mini has been somewhat neglected in her life and had very little handling before she came here so is pretty nervous of humans. Cuddles are definitely off the agenda. ?

Am wondering if I ought to get another one for the purpose of cuddling. ?
Of course you should! :)
Years ago I used to keep a pony in a field with a friend's Shetland. One day a dog got in to the field and started chasing the Shetland round the field. My pony ran in between the dog and the shetland kicking out at it and then chased it out of the field.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, but my pony was very clearly protecting the shetland.
My Shetland is the one that chases the dogs! He’s a fabulous guard pony as my field runs along a footpath. When a dog ventures under the fence his little face lights up. He especially likes chasing terriers but will give anything a go as long as it’s not too quick (spaniels are out apparently ?)

3OldPonies

Visit site
That
It's a baby. A very cute baby who would be very easy to over indulge. It's already made a bid for freedom, bit me and given the very best cuddles that made me sit on the floor of his stable for an hour scratching him. I already love him and I expect he'll be here forever. So those of you who have experience of these very cute but pretty useless moneypits… what do I need to know?
He will escape at every opportunity, finding all the weak points in your fencing. He will adore you and you him, you'll buy loads of cute mini pony items, take gazillions of photos, be really proud of the little monkey, and at times break your heart.

On a more serious note, don't fall into the trap of treating him like a cute toy. I've had an American miniature horse who had been spoiled, and OMG was he a brat when I first had him. My mini Shetland stallion however, was brought up properly and treated like one of the boys, both much bigger than him, and he had the best manners ever and we could take him anywhere knowing that he'd behave.

Visit site
My hubby once woke up Saying he had had a dream when he went away with work he came home to find me in bed with someone else. Not a human I may add but he’d dreamt one of our minis was fast asleep in bed with his head on his pillow too. He had also casually mentioned one day that we didn’t have solid floors in the house we were in at the time so not to try to bring them in the house this was a ploy obviously but he’d obviously been ahead of me as I hadn’t really planned that at that time. Apologies by the way my iPhone keypad has stopped letting me put in any punctuation. ?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Just don't expect mini sized vets' bills! As well as the better known issues of laminitis and sweet itch, you also have to keep a close eye on their teeth. Sometimes they need teeth removing due to overcrowding (very occasionally the teeth can actually push their way through the cheeks).

I'm guessing the plan is that it lives out, but do you have access to a stable if you need to deal with a laminitic or pre-laminitic episode? I do love a Shetland though!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Another thing I forgot to mention - try to get them used to being handled by (and actually behaving well for) other people. Mine is actually pretty well-mannered (for a Shetland) with me, but he can be an absolute terror with others. It's definitely a flaw in my training of him, as I strongly believe well-mannered horses should be able to be caught & handled by anyone, even novices, so hopefully you'll do a better job than me!

SEH

Visit site
I forgot to mention, a lot of them I know, especially mine, freak out at being bathed. So try and get them used to water/hosepipes young (try use warm water though, they are so tiny) and try get them used to clippers. Mine has about a 3/4 inch coat coming out of winter and especially with the hotter springs we are now having to clip her a lot, whereas the first 8 years we didn't.

Visit site
Everyone is so nice to their ponies! I just expect mine to shut up and behave no matter what I throw at them ??? Cold hose baths, dragged where ever I want them to go either by headcollar, lead rope or mane, go in, go out, live with whoever (with the exception of old man Flint - he likes trying to kill other small ponies ... and dogs, and cats, and any other small animal that wanders into his field ...) I've got all bar one of mine down to being able to have their feet trimmed/rasped loose in the field as well as being wormed there.

I have never had a bother with any of mine. Most were either born here or came here at a very young age from breeders so have been brought up as horses. It was always commented on at shows how well behaved my stallion was - he never got shut in the box and only come out for his class like the majority of others. I expected him to hang around, eat grass and ignore other ponies and so he did. The only one I ever had a problem with was one that went on loan for a year to family that constantly feed treats. So he learned to nap very badly when ridden as he knew when he stopped at a certain person he got a handful (yes handful not 1!) Of mints. He also nipped like hell when he came back and barged about the place. Within a month of being back he was reminded of his manners.

I have 3 with sweetitch but it's no great hassle. 2 live out in electric fenced fields, one with a rug on, one without as she is due to foal. The other is ok 9 months of the year and then tries to detroy himself the other 3 so he only goes out for short periods on bad fly days in his bad 3 months.

They all pretty much respect fencing. I've only ever had 1 with lami and she has EMS. Some of the others I really do wonder how they have never gone off their feet with how fat they get... especially Lardarse!

Basically they are as unstereotypical as you could get yet still have great senses of humour!

SEH

Visit site
Everyone is so nice to their ponies! I just expect mine to shut up and behave no matter what I throw at them ??? Cold hose baths, dragged where ever I want them to go either by headcollar, lead rope or mane, go in, go out, live with whoever (with the exception of old man Flint - he likes trying to kill other small ponies ... and dogs, and cats, and any other small animal that wanders into his field ...)

I cold hose my bigger horses, but my little one shivers so its not fair!

SEH

Visit site
I'm guessing the plan is that it lives out, but do you have access to a stable if you need to deal with a laminitic or pre-laminitic episode? I do love a Shetland though!

Ours had a pre-laminitic episode and I was so upset. I slept in the stable with her for 2 days before my friend took over for the 3rd, and she was obviously feeling better because she full on nipped my friend and then was back to normal!

Ha! He has you wrapped round his little finger! He is probably giggling his head off when the others get the hose and he knows he doesn't!

She definitely does. Little minx. But whichever way I hose her she broncs and tries to murder me sooooo.... I'd rather be covered in warm water hahah.