Ive posted this in CR with no luck so hoping you can help me?

RedVendetta

Visit site
Just wanted to ask for some advice really...

Taking my (sometimes quite spooky) gelding to a big show on saturday, where there is a lot going on in the main ring next to the shpwjumping, including a marching band, massive bouncy castle, hounds, steam engines, motorbike displays.... the list of spooky stuff is endless!

I took my not so spooky pony there 3 years ago and although he jumped well and won his classes, he was extremely spooky and reared up when he saw the marching band. Im not sure my current horse will cope as well as the pony did, and wonder what I can do to help him.

Should I give him a calmer before we go? Should I stick cotton wool in his ears and a fly veil on? Any other handy hints?

Thanks so much in advance

AutumnRose

Visit site
You could try a clamer although there as varying reports on them all. Oxyshot has worked really well for my mare although i know many people think it's a waste of time. I would suggest getting there as early as possible so you can spend a while wandering around and getting used to the sites and sounds. ALso could you lunge before you get on, this might take some energy away so less to spook with!!

GOod luck!!

ladyt25

Visit site
To be honest i would just try and remain calm and try not think about it. Maybe give him a good lead around first so he can see what's going on. I have a v spooky horse but to be honest he couldn#t gvie a monkeys about stuff at shows (although i don't do many big ones). Marching bands can be a little loud but depends on your horse. He could actually surprise you!

Mine would more than likely have a good look and a bit of an eye roll, possibly prance about but he'd not do anything worse. You know your horse. If he's bothered by noise rather than sights then yes by all means try a veil thing on him.

I wouldn't rely on a calmer unless you really think he's going to be terrible. If he's not been to anything like it before then I think you're going to just have to play it by ear really and see how he reacts to start with. As I said, he could totally surprise you and not be bothered!

Spyda

Visit site
TBH, best to acclimatise him to the exciting surroundings without the calmers, cotton wool etc. It may be a bit hairy the first couple of trips out, but at least once he's settled he'll be settled for good and you will not have to wean him off his calmers etc.

Best thing will be to get there nice and early, so neither you nor he are stressed. Spend an hour or two just walking him about calmly before you are expected to enter a ring. Lead him about at first, allow him to relax and take in the new sights and smells. Hopefully within an hour or two he'll have relaxed a bit and concentrate when you need to ride him in the ring.

I took my yearling to an event last month. She's a handful at the best of times, but even she settled down following the above method. After a couple of hours gawping at everything she was bushed out, and just wanted to get back into the trailer to munch on her hay net!

RedVendetta

Visit site
At home he is a totally lazy lump, but get him out to shows and hes forward going (nothing crazy at all) but generally very well behaved, only thing is he has been known to rear when very giddy or spooked badly, so I think like you say if I remain calm then he probably will do too. And the rearing thing doesnt bother me, he's never ever done it in the ring, only in the warm up or when collecting a rosette or lap of honour, he seems to lock on to what hes doing once hes in the ring on his own and has never napped or messed about when hes jumping.

And Im not jumping until the afternoon so we could get him there pretty early and let him see everything first, think thats a really good idea.

I have used a calmer on my old horse before, it didnt work so not sure its worth it!

Thanks for the help guys
smile.gif
, I will probably try a fly veil as I can borrow one, so it will cost me nothing and worth a shot!

You never know, a marching band might make him go faster in the jump off!!! Only kidding!

archie1

Visit site
good luck. i was at a show like that a few years ago and my horse was fine until the marching band passed dressed up as batman and superman with fluttery capes followed by the local hunt. fastet jump off i have ever done!! the horse jumped, stopped then spun to jump the final fence before bolting from the arena!! next time he went he didn't give a monkeys - think they had moved from marching superheroes that year.

Parkranger

Visit site
I agree about not thinking about it - you might make problems that aren't there! Put an ear doily on him to muffle some noise but just be confident and enjoy!

Might be a good idea to get there a little eariler and stick a lunge line on him and take him for a graze while you get your numbers etc - always works well on slightly nervy horses!