I've Taken Back Shoes Off - Anything I Should Know?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Jacob has good strong feet according to farrier, which go 7 weeks between shoeings - he had had long periods of field time before I owned him without shoes and I would like to try and see how he is with only fronts on. I have read everything I can about it but I know that there are some really knowledgable people on here re: going shoeless, so I thought I would ask for any additional tips or things I can do to make the transition easier for him.

They have been off for a week now and he is 100% sound and walking/hooleying comfortably in his field, he is walking across flat concrete and up the track just fine, but he does have a sore step on the stoney (in places) track driveway, he feels 100% fine in the school. Our hacking has stoney tracks and then big open fields. I am not adverse to hoof boots, but not sure at what point I would know he will need them? I am also nervous that as he is living out in a muddy in places field, I have picked a terrible time to try and do this! If that is the case then I can put the backs back on and try again later on. I have also heard that Keratex is a good thing to apply?

He is fed on ad lib hay and two feeds a day of :
- 1/2 scoop alfalfa pellets (for condition & protein),
- 700g Topspec Lite Balancer (for vits & mins, grazing is crap),
- 1 cup of Coolstance Copra (again, for condition and the high fat content)
- He also has cleavers (to support his lymphatic system which is terrible),
- Boswellia (because I am not convinced his hocks are what they once were),
- NAF Biotin Plus (a blog recommended it for feet, recent addition)
- Limstone Flour & Protexin (never been a suspect for ulcers but I can't guarantee he always had 24/7 access to hay right now being in a herd, and there is very little grass, erring on the side of caution).

Any help or what to expect things appreciated! Stupidly I forgot to take photos, but can follow this post up with some if it would be helpful.

jnb

Visit site
I'm no expert, but I own an unshod show cob. I was feeding him Top Spec Lite but after a slightly overdone trim last May he became the slightest bit footy over very big stones (something he'd never previously done) - I was advised to ditch the Top Spec Lite for Equimins Advance complete, ditch Fast Fibre for Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs to get rid of any fillers/alfalfa which can cause footiness and are bad for hoof health.
His feet are back to being like iron and he loves the Hay Cobs, Equimins took 10 days changeover (I started literally with a pinch and built up - I use the powder but there is a pelleted form, my cob prefers the powder)

PS I add a small amount of biotin to bring levels to what he had on Top Spec, and MagOx plus approx 50-100g of micronised linseed as his skin can get a little dry when clipped.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s the fronts they usually struggle on, if they are going to.

I’ve never had a problem with a horse unshod behind for normal activities. Only Eventing or grass sj (slipping), they are always shod and studded for that

palo1

Visit site
In my experience removal of hind shoes very rarely, if ever causes problems. If you do have a problem then that is a good warning sign that the feet generally (fronts especially) need more thought/change of diet etc. I agree about removing Top Spec as so many people have found that something in it is unhelpful. Alfa can have a similar effect too, and quick soak sugar beet for some reason.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ahh, I didn't know that about Topspec/Alfalfa.. Happy to remove the TopSpec as it's a fairly recent addition as I have moved back to bad grazing, but that's a shame about the alfalfa. He looks great on it and it's good for protein whilst being a one ingredient feed. I will have a look at what else I can replace it with.

Pleased to know that it should hopefully be pretty problem free!

vhf

Visit site
My older mare can hate being without her hind shoes and will alter her footfall, so it's pretty obvious. She's currently unshod and out of work and may stay that way; she has great feet. I switched her onto TopSpec Balancer for a month, but she'll be back to Equimins Advance/Hoofmender in March. Keratex Hoof Hardener is very helpful (my other one is unshod and has this weekly when in work). I am thinking of trying Keratex hoof gel as I think it's heels rather than soles/walls that offend my older mare and this purports to help in that area.

ihatework

Visit site
Ahh, I didn't know that about Topspec/Alfalfa.. Happy to remove the TopSpec as it's a fairly recent addition as I have moved back to bad grazing, but that's a shame about the alfalfa. He looks great on it and it's good for protein whilst being a one ingredient feed. I will have a look at what else I can replace it with.

If it’s not causing you a problem why would you change it?
Sure if you have a sore footy horse then changes might need to be made but don’t fix what ain’t broke!!

Last year my 4yo was unshod on all 4 and was on an Alfa based feed no issues. At the moment he is in full work unshod and the yard feeds topspec. Again no issues.

He will get his first set of shoes soon though to go Eventing

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If it’s not causing you a problem why would you change it?
Sure if you have a sore footy horse then changes might need to be made but don’t fix what ain’t broke!!

Last year my 4yo was unshod on all 4 and was on an Alfa based feed no issues. At the moment he is in full work unshod and the yard feeds topspec. Again no issues.

He will get his first set of shoes soon though to go Eventing

Yeah good point well made! Do you know how long I should expect the footyness on the stoney track to last before I think about changing up the feed? He's fine on all other surfaces.

palo1

Visit site

I wouldn't necessarily rush to get rid of Alfa if you like it - some horses are perfectly fine with it but it is worth bearing in mind if you do have problems! We have one Arab X that can cope with almost anything (cereals, beet, alfa - probably top spec tbh!!) and one Arab X that cannot have any cereal, alfa, beet and various mineral supplements; they are all really different! :) It is better too if you can take one thing away at a time so that you know what is what. :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
If your land is wet, then their soles, frogs and horn can become soft which will make them more prone to tenderness. I took the hind shoes off my old horse in August and he seemed fine at first but had to have them put back on in December as he became uncomfy which farrier put down to the wet ground making his feet soft. The relief in his face and change in his way of moving was instant, much more comfortable.
If u want hoofboots, best to contact Liz Hapgood at Hoof Boutique as you send her photos and measurements and she'll advise what model and size boot is best suited for your horse, and she does hire and fitting kits too, all discountable off the price if you then buy boots from her. (I'm not an agent but I've had 2 sets of advice and boots from Liz for my other horse so I'm a very satisfied customer).

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Mines been barefoot behind coming up 2 years & only ever pulls onto verges in winter when his feet maybe a bit soft & over very bumpy paths in the foresty - no issues on the roads, pea gravel etc. I found the diet change being the key, hes on Dengie Hi Fi Molasses free, Formula 4 feet & a scoop of Mag Ox daily.