Iveco lorries? Your experiences please!

nicnag

Visit site
We are currently desperately looking for a new lorry having sold ours on Wednesday. Our mechanic has told us to avoid Iveco but it seems every single lorry is built on an Iveco chassis! Are they really that bad? Any experiences very welcome!

conniegirl

Visit site
mine is one of the first ever Ivecos and is 26 years old now, mine is ultra reliable and actualy not that difficult to get parts for. They do tend to rust around the cab though so worth finding a good welder who doesnt charge the earth!

Jnhuk

Visit site
Iveco are lovely to drive but rust buckets.

My horsebox mechanic who would much prefer I have a Daf! Just wondering if the same mechanic since you are similar area too. If it he probably has a strong opinion on Alexanders horseboxes and Equi-trek too!

Last edited:

peanut

Visit site
I'm no expert on lorries but my friend has had an Iveco from new (53 plate) and loves it. She has had to do no more than routine maintenance on it. I've been out in it loads of times and it is very smooth and drives like a car.

Nicnac

Visit site
Always had DAFs until current Iveco as wasn't keen on Iveco - swayed by a mechanic! Have to say it's brilliant and I'm pi**ed off at myself for having had a clouded judgement without any experience of them previously.

EBHouse

Visit site
Know of a 10 plate iveco which has had nothing but trouble... Constantly broken down because of electrical faults. Funnily enough this is also an equitrek.

Can't comment on the older ones, imagine this one would run quite well if it wasn't ruled by modern sensors etc.

luckyoldme

Visit site
i used to be a trucker, they were known as dagenham dustbins in the haulage industry.one of my employers got one as the service package was so good and it was cheap compared to other trucks. He reckoned he would keep it three years then hoy it out with the rubbish. It was very well thought out inside but build quality terrible with bits falling off it all the time. This was a 03 tractor unit.

maree t

Visit site
I have got a daily and a cargo . The daily has been great and only a mechanic error has left me with any problems . I have also had a cargo for a year , so far so good .

catroo

Visit site
I have a 2006 iveco and it's been great, strong engine that has never let us down.

Rust does seem to be a theme with them so we spend a lot of time each year with it up on a ramp checking over and treating any tiny bit before it becomes an issue.

I'd happily have another as long as I had it thoroughly checked out on a ramp

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Mine is 23 years old and still the most reliable vehicle on the place. Does have a bit of rust, as others have mentioned, but nothing horrible. Very economical to run, too.

millitiger

Visit site
We love our Ivy Iveco, she is brilliant, smooth ride for the horses and deceptively fast, you have to watch your speed when she's cracking along on the motorway!

AnShanDan

Visit site
I have a 7.5t Iveco, it's been a great, reliable lorry. We run a haulage business with all Scania trucks, the heavy Ivecos don't get a good name, but our mechanic really rates the smaller horse box size ones.

popsdosh

Visit site
I have got a daily and a cargo . The daily has been great and only a mechanic error has left me with any problems . I have also had a cargo for a year , so far so good .

They are the most popular 7.5t chassis out there . They dont get that for being rubbish. Haulage companies do not re order lemons. They have their weak points but so do all the others.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I love my Iveco, it's almost 20 years old and I've had it for 6 years. Had very few problems with it, only the normal wear & tear that you'd expect from a 20yo vehicle that's done 250k km.

iconique

Visit site
I have had several ivecos and they've mostly been great, my latest being a 13t, although my worst was a 75e15 with an Olympic body, it had an aluminium floor, but what wasn't so clever was a rotted chassis!
Mechanics are good at telling you what they want you to have and they want to work on, it's like the tilt cab thing, if nothing much needs doing, it's not a problem if not it takes longer and isn't quite as simple so many mechanics will tell you to not buy a lorry that has a fixed cab.
My advice, go drive one, get it properly checked over and if you like it buy it!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
We are currently desperately looking for a new lorry having sold ours on Wednesday. Our mechanic has told us to avoid Iveco but it seems every single lorry is built on an Iveco chassis! Are they really that bad? Any experiences very welcome!

I don't agree, I am selling my Iveco but not for anything wrong, in fact the mechanic said it is a very good chassis, my issue it the body roof is too low for my 16.1. I love the Iveco over any other and will be looking to get another when I sell mine. A chassis is only as goo as it is maintained at the end of the day - it is always but to get any rust bits seen to asap to stop it getting worse.

If you leave it then of course it gets worst, OP all mechanics have their favourite vehicles and slate others. I was warned that Cargos had bad brakes and to avoid but I bought one and never had any issue with the brakes. in fact I had it about 8 years then change the chassis to a Iveco i have because the King pin froze.

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
We love our Ivy Iveco, she is brilliant, smooth ride for the horses and deceptively fast, you have to watch your speed when she's cracking along on the motorway!

This like mine is like a race horse- 6 speed and she tries to race off and you need a stronger bit on the motorway as she speed creeps well up and you don't know it.