Ivor Williams HB11 Advice Please

tony

Visit site
Hi All

I am after a bit of advice regarding the possible purchase of a 2010 Ivor Williams HB11,I currently use a Richardson box and although it is really good in all ways,good to tow,light,and to be fair looks quite good as well I now need a bigger box for my Daughters 15.1 Cob as it is lets say a snug fit. My dilema is I have been told that the HB11 has had some production problems but all I can find searching on Google is problems with plastic catches and mould,but someone mention other problems with the chassis, would anyone be able to advise me of any other problems they are aware of before I commit to buy only problem is I need the advice really quick.

I would really appreciate any information good or bad with the HB11 before I spend out potentially a lot of money for it.

tony

Visit site
Hi FfionWinnie

Thank you for your reply,to be honest the Richardson is a tad on the small side and I was initially looking at the IW 510 as my Daughters Instructor is selling one that is 10yrs old for around £3000 I have seen a IW HB11 for £3500 or thereabouts that is 4 yrs old with full paperwork even though the specifications for both boxes are as near the same the HB11 seems a better investment but if there are potential defects then these would need to be taken into consideration before the final decision.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Hi FfionWinnie

Thank you for your reply,to be honest the Richardson is a tad on the small side and I was initially looking at the IW 510 as my Daughters Instructor is selling one that is 10yrs old for around £3000 I have seen a IW HB11 for £3500 or thereabouts that is 4 yrs old with full paperwork even though the specifications for both boxes are as near the same the HB11 seems a better investment but if there are potential defects then these would need to be taken into consideration before the final decision.

We are looking at buying a 511 as well. Hope you can find out what you need to know.

tony

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies I have contacted Ivor Williams direct and there were some issues early on in production mainly some mould growth due to insufficient sealer and the internal partition post could come out easily, they said that these issues were sorted due to a recall of new boxes, I have also spoken to some friends who have said that due to the towing A frame made shorter to accommodate the extra length if you are towing with a 4X4 with the spare wheel on the back then be careful when on full lock when turning or reversing as the wheel could damage the front of the box, hope this helps but I personally will be looking for a 511 for myself.

9tails

Visit site
I tow a HB511, 2010, and have found no problems whatsoever. Good luck with your purchase, I think you're making the right decision as my 16.1 mare said no to going on a HB506. More is always more with trailers ;-)

Lipza767

Visit site
I was looking for a bigger trailer a few months back. I stumbled apon the wessex olympian and have to say its much nicer than my friends ifor williams 510 and cost around £1500 less for a much newer trailer. They are lovely and padded inside and my horses travel well in it.

Scatterbrain

Visit site
I have an Ifor Williams HB511 and really like it. I believe there were teething problems when they were first released, but I bought mine in December 2009 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Horses travel perfectly, it's light and roomy inside and tows really well. I had the HB510 model before that, and liked that too, but wanted to update to the newer version.

rema

Visit site
It was the first batch of 511 and 506 off the production line (2008) that had the problems..Mould,Gas struts and Door mechanisms..So anything after then will have had the problems ironed out..My 2008 511 had to go back three times over all ,twice for mould and once for gas struts..Good trailers though..

tony

Visit site
Hi all been to see the box today and is fantastic only niggle now is a doubt that I may be over the limit when towing,I currently use a 2004 Nissan Navara 2.5 and only tow one 15.1 cob at around 550kg my handbook says it can tow 2800kg , so the box 1000kg + Cob 550kg so plenty of weight to play with or so I thought but it just gets more and more confusing with so much conflicting advice HELP please soon as as I need to make a decision quick or loose the new box.