Jack makes it two years in a row...just!

Hattikins

Visit site
Well my motto for the end of this season was probably "if at first you dont succeed, try, try and try again"!! I had 5 BE90 regional final qualifications with Jack and was hopeful that although we made not have it as easy as last season where we qualified at our first regional, we'd still perhaps qualify again.

I was right in thinking it wasnt going to be easy! At West Wilts RF we jumped a double clear but a dressage of 33 where the judge said I was inaccurate throughout (Ive ridden BE92 for 2 seasons now and every other test comments on my good accuracy so perhaps she was watching a different test or having a doze!?). So we ended up 12th and moved onto Firle regional where for a test that felt as good as the West wilts test, we got a 36.5 (the worst mark I've ever had with him!) so we showjumped a clear and then withdrew from the XC as we werent going to qualify on a final mark of 36.5 so I thought I'd save his legs.

From that we had a blast round Munstead 90 where Jack jumped beautifully again for a double clear and 3rd place on a 30 dressage. Feeling a little more hopeful we then ventured to BCA 90 regional where he produced again a lovely test and jumped a super double clear but a 31.5 left us in 7th and with only 31 starters we missed qualification by one place!! By this point we thought we might as well give up! 3 regionals down and only 2 to go, with the final 2 being a good 3 hour journey away as well, the pressure was beginning to mount a little!

Little Downham was the 4th attempt and was the day before I headed back to Uni so I really felt it was now or never! J travelled well despite the scorching heat and after a quick dressage session the night before he came out and produced a great test despite being in a long arena which had flummoxed a few! A test of 33.5 was enough to slot us into 6th initially with the lowest on 31. Jack yet again popped round double clear and unlike BCA where pretty much everyone finished on their dressage score, here there were mistakes being made which in the end pushed us up to 3rd and after chipping away over the past few weeks we finally qualified for Badders 2012!!

Mum breathed a sigh of relief that we wouldnt have to drive to Broadway for the final qualifier or haul me out of uni to get there! and after a jam packed eventing season with a bit of pootling about in the show ring thrown in for good measure, Jack is now enjoying a well earned rest until christmas when I come back from uni :D

And a quick photo or 2 of this season's highlight (the first was taken very kindly by an HHOer) :)
j35.jpg

j75.jpg

Rosiefan

Visit site
Oh my goodness - talk about the nick of time. Very well done to you and Jack the superstar. Now, if you wouldn't mind Hattikins, we could do with an HHOer winning at Badminton. It would make us all feel so important ;) :D :)

lex2501

Visit site
Well done you!! I am exceptionally jealous as despite 3 RFs me and Billy failed to qualify :-( I wish he had saved the 27 dressage double clear at munstead for BCA but hey ho, it obviously wasnt meant to be. Well done again and I will keep everything crossed for you for te big day!!! X

star

Visit site
well done. v jealous. really felt Monty was good enough to go to Badders but we only started trying to qualify late May so only managed to get one RF qualification and then buggered up the dressage bigtime so even with a double clear ended up 29th - oops! Determined to do it next yr! Huge congrats!

TheoryX1

Visit site
Well done and he is gorgeous - nothing beats a nice skewbald I say, but then again I am biased big time. Agree with Rosiefan, go on, try and win Badders, we do need a HHOer to go and win it - its a matter of honour now. I have to say Mini TX is very envious as she qualified for 2 RFs in 2009, but before she could do them in 2010 the dopey moo got BE points on horsey so that was that.

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you all, he's such a pleasure to take out and about so it's been very enjoyable :D

Lex: your boy is stunning and it was such a shame he didnt get the qualification he deserved at West wilts :( Look forward to seeing you at RFs next season if you have another bash!

Star: RFs especially at 90 might as well just be a dressage competition which I find really frustrating as especially at BCA - they might as well have taken the top 10 from dressage scores alone without taking into account SJing and XC because absolutely no one makes a mistake. Having said that, with a few more tries under your belt next year I'm sure you'll have a really good shot at it :D

Flipflop: You get to go to 1 regional final for every qualifying place you get in a normal 90 - so I had 5 top 10% placings between the 1st July 2010 and the 31st June 2011 (i think thats the qualifying period) so therefore I could go to 5 different RFs :)

TX: How annoying to pick up those points so close to the regionals last year but equally miniTX has had a lot of success at Novice which will be a little consolation :) You'll just have to run another youngster along side to do grassroots ;)

oneinamillion: If he disappears from his field Ill know whose taken him!! hehe, he's going nowhere fast - I suspect he'll be a family pet forever!

lex2501

Visit site
Lex: your boy is stunning and it was such a shame he didnt get the qualification he deserved at West wilts :( Look forward to seeing you at RFs next season if you have another bash!

Thanks Hattikins! Thinking about our bad luck at W Wilts still makes me feel sick but it obviously wasn't meant to be so we will put everything into qualifying next year - he has got one RF in the bag already so we will keep plugging away. Like Jack, he is a very special boy who so deserves to go, so hopefully I will join you there in 2013!

And yes, I agree with Rosiefan - a win for an HHOer would be marvelous so if you don't mind... ;) GO TEAM JACK!!! :D

Sally-FF

Visit site
Congratulations!! How old is he? He is gorgeous! Out of interest, especially as you say you show him why do you not wear boots on him XC? Not having a go just wondering! : )

Hattikins

Visit site
Thanks Hattikins! Thinking about our bad luck at W Wilts still makes me feel sick but it obviously wasn't meant to be so we will put everything into qualifying next year - he has got one RF in the bag already so we will keep plugging away. Like Jack, he is a very special boy who so deserves to go, so hopefully I will join you there in 2013!

And yes, I agree with Rosiefan - a win for an HHOer would be marvelous so if you don't mind... GO TEAM JACK!!!

Im sure you'll have qualify next year - you were so close this year :)

As for winning it - of course I'd love to :D hehe but realistically after a 16th place this year I'd love a top 10 placing if everything goes right on the day (as we all know that is usually never the case though!!) :)

Sally-FF: Thank you :) He's 8 and he doesnt wear boots because he's got very pink sensitive skin under those white legs and when water/ grime and sweat going XC gets under boots he gets rashes. So as he's so neat and tidy and he's only competing at BE90 and sometimes BE100 we've competed him without boots, as did his previous owners. Having said that this year I have been toying with the idea of boots of some sort but just havent found what I think will suit him yet :) He's got remarkably clean legs so showing hasnt been an issue :)

S_C: Your photos were superb this year so absolutely would love to have you there next year! Though you have to promise to come and say hello :D

FJ: Thank you! It really was a blast :D How's things with you at the moment?

TGM: Thank you - how is A getting on at the moment?

SW/Mrs Pink/Janey: Thank you very much :D

star

Visit site
have you tried tubigrip under his boots? my boy has big white socks and if the going is sandy and it gets up under his boots then it rubs him. have taken to sticking tubigrip underneath his boots on that type of ground and it's really helped.

smac

Visit site
Wow fabulous well done- ~I have been aiming one at the grassroots as the others are all heading to Nov now and the bugger has had to be W/D from all his RF!! so annoying- lorry, then pus in foot, then caught in paddock doing all sort damage. Never had a problem before :-( and under next years rules I wont be able to compete so very frustrating!

Would love to see Jack win - cracking looking horse!

jules89

Visit site
Oh my goodness - talk about the nick of time. Very well done to you and Jack the superstar. Now, if you wouldn't mind Hattikins, we could do with an HHOer winning at Badminton. It would make us all feel so important ;) :D :)

hha love this - do it! :)