Jack russell 3 legged hop - advice please

Jericho

Visit site
I know its fairly common that JRTs do the hind leg holding up run but I was hoping someone could give me a bit more advise. She is 3 yrs old and has been doing it for a couple of years, never seems to particularly bother her. She doesnt do it moving around the house or on the lead but generally if she is moving through a field or track going somewhere with purpose if you see what I mean. I have noticed that in' trot' she is starting to look uncomfortable so she prefers to hop into 'canter' and then holds the leg up. Its always the left hind leg. She is very active, the 'leg holding' is more prolific the busier she has been. Its doesnt prevent her from charging here there and everywhere but to me it just doesnt seem right and I would like to help her obviously - is surgery the only option? And will that actually help or cause more problems? I have googled it and it could be either Patella Luxation (although she has absolutely no problem straightening it and often lies spreadout on tummy with hind legs behind her, rubbing her tummy! Or it could be Legg-Perthes although that typically affects younger dogs? I have manipulated the leg and cant feel abnormality nor does she indicate any soreness when manipulated. I cant get it past my head that it is just a habit - something must be causing her to do it, right? (Can you tell I am the paranoid owner of lame prone horses!!?!)

Any advice would be much appreciated, with thanks!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My 8 month old Bichon does this, mildly. My vet confirmed patella luxation in both hind legs (very upsettingly). However was not concerned, and told me not to be either.

However your little dog sounds as if it could be getting worse, especially as she's showing some signs of discomfort (which mine isn't). Definitely worth a trip to the vet for a diagnosis and chat.

weevil

Visit site
It does sound like luxating patella - probably best to go to the vets for diagnosis/advice though.
Surgery is not always the only option (and many dogs don't need surgery), but your vet will be able to tell you what grade it is and then you can work from there. My little dog had LP and we managed it for about a year without surgery, I just kept him fit and active and we treated any joint inflammation with anti-inflammatories. unfortunately his got to the point where, though still mild, the anti-inflammatories were not really helping and so he had surgery last year. It was a pretty straightforward operation and he recovered well (though he still has trouble with that leg but it is not related to his knee or the surgery).

KrujaaLass

Visit site
My little JR used to do this but she used to change legs so presumed it was a habit. Couple of years ago it got quite bad and vet diagnosed arthritis. She was on medication for about a year .vet recommended short walks on a lead. She is now on no medication and charges about more than my five year old dog. She is now 12. I thought that she would deteriorate but she has improved 100 per cent. It's really difficult but you could mention it to vet when you next go