Jack Russell

Sabrina

Visit site
Very desperate,my JR is nearly 3 years old,my JR had calcium growths between the toes when he was 12 monts old,the vet removed it by surgery now hes got it again,my vet as told me he will have to have more this time removed by two experts which is going to cost £5K,unfortunately this time i cannot afford it,can anyone give me some advice what to do please.

Sandra

Sabrina

Visit site
The first time she removed it,which looked like a round white bulb,what beats me is he seems in good condition food,runs about the fields,a nice wet nose,where the vet removed the first one it has left is outside nail swollen.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I just wondered if there was an underlying condition which caused them and whether treatment for that would prevent it happening again..

Sabrina

Visit site
To be honest she never said anything on about that,i can tell you she did a biology on it and when it came back it was clean,no cancer or anything there

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s possible but this thread could do with moving to the dogs section. You will get a lot more replies there and there are some really knowledgeable doggy members.
Ive never heard of it myself but I hope you get somewhere. It’s heart breaking having poorly dogs

Sabrina

Visit site
Hes ok, i go a walk with them every with weather permmiting,he eats well,he runs about the fields,wet nose,we think hes ok,apparently this calcium problem is supposed to be for big dogs and getting on a in age

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ask the vet if it is imperative that he has these lumps removed now, or can they wait until some time in the future? If it is more of a cosmetic problem, you could maybe use the time to save up if he's not insured. If you have become unemployed recently, as so many people have, because of Covid, you could take him to the PDSA. If the vet says the lumps need to be removed now and this is not covered by insurance, you could ask about a payment plan.
Just remember that many (not all) vets will enthuse about expensive possible courses of action which aren't always medically necessary

skinnydipper

Visit site
I found this article earlier today but hesitated to share the link as your vet is the best person to advise you.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/calcinosis-circumscripta-and-cutis

It sounds as if it may be calcinosis circumscripta.

"Calcinosis circumscripta is the deposition of calcium usually at bony prominences (i.e., where bone and skin are thinly separated) or in the footpads and mouth.

The cause of calcinosis circumscripta is unknown, but there seems to be a genetic or hereditary component. It typically affects large breed dogs, especially German Shepherds, and often appears in young dogs (younger than two years of age).

What types of treatment are available?

Surgery is the treatment of choice for solitary lesions of calcinosis circumscripta While small deposits may slowly resorb without treatment, larger deposits may be pushed out through the skin. This is unpleasant due to the resulting discharge. As well, the area may not heal properly. Surgical removal is usually preferable in these cases."

Last edited:

Bellasophia

Visit site
https://wagwalking.com/condition/calcinosis-circumscripta
Another link here describing this condition.
A rare condition in a small ,young dog,I m sorry you are going through this as this genetic condition is very concerning ,obviously.
I would want to ask the vet if this is likely to reoccur ,after surgery,and if any preventative measures eg specific diet will be helpful..
the link talks about raised lipase enzyme levels contributing to the condition..so ask if this is being tested.
Quote..
“Some research has suggested that an increase in blood enzyme lipase can cause the condition. An increase in blood enzyme lipase can lead to the degeneration of the fat tissue and then there is calcification of the degenerated fat tissue.”
All the best!

Sabrina

Visit site
Well i got his blood test today,it as come out perfect,the consultants said they didnt want to operations because of age (yes it would have been £5k if they had carried it out)but he still gets about with no pain