Jackson's Drift

mle22

Visit site
We have recently bought a young horse by Jackson's Drift and I just wondered if anyone had any information on his progeny - I'm wondering what sort of temperament they have and how they perform. The dam is by Courage but this horse looks more TB than anything else.

Rebels

Visit site
I nearly bought one, was a lovely type of horse, very genuine , quite tb like. Sadly shredded a leg the day before the vetting :-(

no_no_nanette

Visit site
As he was bred in the US it might be worth posting the question on the Chronicles of the Horse forum, as there doesn't seem to be a lot on him elsewhere, and his race record is very thin. But what he does have is a stunning pedigree, with many of the great sporthorse sires in there - Seattle Slew, Mr. Prospector, Buckpasser ..... I'm sure that someone on the COTH forum could tell you more.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Thank you. I will have a look. Our horse was bred in Ireland.

Looks as though Jacksons Drift was imported to Ireland. Another place that you could try posting an enquiry is the Irish Horse Breeders page on FB. The Irish Register of Stallions records that in 2003 he was standing with Ian Hanamy, at his Clara View Stud, Mount Prospect, co. Kildare. His coverings seem to have fallen off, (35 mares in 1999 and 19 in 2000) though his offspring have accumulated a few competition points. I'm sure if you contacted the breeder he could tell you more.

gadetra

Visit site
He is an old stallion now, and has been in Ireland a long time now. He used to have a colour add in the studbook if my memory serves me right. There are a few of his stock around, but he was never madly popular. Impressive racing pedigree though.
I am pretty sure he is dead now that I think about it, he was getting on, he was born in 1986.
I will capaillOir him for you, if you let me know the name of your horses dam, I will see if he is in the progeny list and get a breeder name for you if he is reg'd.

mle22

Visit site
Thank you Gadetra - I have managed to track down the breeder in Galway and will give him a ring. Our horse is 5, so from what you are saying maybe one of the last of this stallion's progeny? Our boy was bought to event and he seems to be quite talented with lovely paces and a nice personality, but also quite sharp and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this breeding.

gadetra

Visit site
If your boy is five and you have just bought him, there is a chance he has a comp record over here. If you PM me his name/dam name I can look it up for you? But sure if you have the breeders details you're away on a hack getting his history!
Best of luck with him :)

Eothain

Visit site
A friend of ours actually stood him in Clara View before moving to France and sending Jackson's Drift down to Clare.
I'd say we had as many horses by him through here as any yard in the country.

mle22

Visit site
Gadetra - our boy just ran in a field until this year so only broken in January so even though he is five he is just beginning his career

Cleo

Visit site
We have recently bought a young horse by Jackson's Drift and I just wondered if anyone had any information on his progeny - I'm wondering what sort of temperament they have and how they perform. The dam is by Courage but this horse looks more TB than anything else.

Hi, My mare is by Jacksons Drift. Shes a cracking mare. I looked into his history and in touch with his dad's owners. He has a lot of American Racehorse in him. One called Slew O'Gold who won heaps and heaps. If you go on to all breeds pedigree it will come up with Jacksons Breeding.

I havent raced my mare, in fact I bought her as a showjumper. Incredible careful and she is great. I have had one filly out of her, who we put with Grannex a Warmblood and she has turned out super. We then put my mare to Legrande Oldenburg and so far so good...she had a lovely little chap a couple of weeks ago.

My friend I think owns Courage...?If it is the right Courage? Not sure, but think it might be, or hers is related to him. Anyway she has a great time with him. So looks like you should have a great ponio!!!

:D:D:D

mle22

Visit site
Hi Cleo - congratulations on the new foal and thank you for the information. Fingers crossed our boy does good too!

ewf

Visit site
We have one, a mare and OH rode another, a gelding. Both very talented, incredibly opinionated horses. Hard work but once you have them on side they go through hell and back for you. Very brave, very scopey if a little careless. Both could be got fit at the mention of work!

mle22

Visit site
That's interesting ewf - it's early days with ours, but we have a feeling that as you say - once he clicks properly with his rider he is going to be special.

IssyLiso

New User
Visit site
I also bought a youngster from Ireland by Jackson's Drift! Dam: Charlies Choice. 6 years old now. I am also researching into Jackson's Drift and would be interested if you find anything interesting about him! thanks.

Louise12

Visit site
I have seen him as he's not far from us. I used him, but the mare aborted quite late on. He is old now, but still alive, or was not too long ago. He won the Croker Cup at Dublin show and is a smart horse. He has had one or two very decent NH horses from very limited opportunities

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Very old thread but my friend owns a JD boy. He is about 14 now and we all love him dearly. An absolute hunting machine for her and did a bit of Bsja in his early days and recently did some be events. Can be flipping idle to hack in company but an angel in ginger clothing otherwise.