Jade Goody

TarrSteps

Visit site
I can see your point, foxhunter, and am more sympathetic than you can imagine, having some experience on the other side, as it were.

To be fair, someone is PAYING the money, so they obviously think it's worth it, and people are buying the story, so they might have a point. I presume you're implying she's not really *that* sick but I don't think any of us can really judge that. I'm sure you know from your own experience there are no guarantees with cancer.

I think the point about brining things out is valid, too. If one person gets help early or takes a symptom or test more seriously then it's helped. I also think there's something to be said for talking about stuff like this, both for individuals (some people are cheered to know others, even the famous, share their experiences) and in general so it stops being the monster under the bed. I remember being very embarrassed when I was a kid and my mother was dying, especially because she insisted on continuing on as much as possible even when she started to look very ill, because it was so clear many people didn't know what to say and would rather not know. My teachers were embarrassed, people didn't know what to say to me - I can't say I was ashamed but I wish people had understood more. I think now, with more publicity, people ARE more knowledgeable and less freaked out about these things, which makes it easier for SOME people having the experience in less public circumstance.

I think some argument can be made that she is doing all this in part for her kids. Of course, it's also who she is, but then we all have to live the way we are. I suspect a lot of dying parents worry about the financial future of their children, knowing full well that's one of the factors they can possibly influence and knowing how much unavoidable pain and disruption their eventual death (or even just their illness) will cause.

Not to argue with you or belittle your view - you have a valid and deeply justified point - just saying their might be another point of view, which is not necessarily wholly negative.

Cyberchick

Visit site
Sorry , how many people went and booked a smear test or just thought a bit harder about life after reading Jades story? I did! I booked a smear as I haven't had one for years as I am one of those people that just think, eugghh, I'll do it next week and then forget and then 5 years later I still haven't done it. I now have a young son and it just kicked me up the bum to do it, so thankyou to those people that paid Jade to tell her story as it might have saved a few more lives.

lucretia

Visit site
i am sure that may well be true but to be honest i dont think i think either jade Goody or the newspaper concerned were thinking of the greater good when they ran the story.
i shall await a pictorial of Ms Goody trekking to Lourdes or similar to pray for a miriacle and while one has to admit she is doing her best to make a legancy for her off spring quite frankly i would rather do with out it and prefer the paper gave her fee to cancer research or the marie curie foundation or make a wish or pretty much any charity who supports those unfortunate to have been put in the same positon or quite likely worse.

Chestersmum

Visit site
I feel very sorry for her, regardless of what she's done in the past (and I'm by no means her biggest fan) no-one deserves terminal cancer. Thoughts are with her family, especially her young children.

dieseldog

Visit site
I feel sorry for Jade. I think it is quite easy to ignore something, especially when not ignoring it means that you are going to subject yourself to incredible pain and feel so ill that you do actually want to die.

I can't see any difference between Jade and Terry Patchett, except Terry is a well loved novelist, they are both publicising their illness.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im also not a fan of hers but nobody deserves to go through this. The people who have done this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art...icken-star.html

Are pure sick.

As someone whos close family member is terminally ill with cancer, you just never think these nasty things will effect you, so I assume she was in denial hence delaying. Cancer is a truly awful awful disease which I really hope they will eventually find a cure for. Best of luck to Jade, hope the drug works.

lucretia

Visit site
Now that is disgusting. as i have made quite clear i dont care for jade and i dont care for the media circus surrounding this but that is really foul because no-one deserves to get a terminal disease it doesnt matter who they are.
and Weezy you might not care for some of the above statements but as far as i can see most people are merely expressing an opinion and some of them, beig closely connected with cancer patients, are more than entitled to do so.
as it happens two of my immediate family are currently undergoing treatment, so if it was me to whom you were refering perhaps you might realise why i dont think Jade is an especial case.
frown.gif

TarrSteps

Visit site
But she's not known because she has cancer, she was known before. Whether or not we think she *should* be publicly known is not really relevant. It's fairly obvious she's not a private person so there's no reason to think she's going to live this part of her life any differently.

I don't think anyone is saying she's any more "special" or deserving on a personal level than anyone else in a similar situation but I can't really see what she's done to be any less so, either, except perhaps to not be of some people's taste. After all, the mechanism that makes people like that famous is not her doing, she's just someone working in it, like any other job. Okay, maybe the money she's making (and she's working for it, no matter if one agrees or not with how she's going about it) *should* go to charity but isn't that a bit like saying someone else in a similar situation who, say, sells an expensive house should do likewise? Why? Just because they're ill? The fact is she's got something to sell, people want to buy it, and she's at a point in her life where one could argue she's entitled to get all she can.

Would I want that sort of scrutiny for myself or a family member in a similar situation? No, never. It's not me healthy, it certainly wouldn't be me sick. But it IS her. I'm still not clear what she's done "wrong".

It is quite true the papers etc. might not be motivated by the "right" ideas. But then media hardly ever is, if you want to get right down to it. They are motivated by the need to sell copies and advertising. They may have differing ethical standards and vary in what they think people *should* hear but let's face it., sometimes the right things happen for the wrong reasons.

Hmm, I can't quite believe I feel strongly about this, since I care not one whit for Jade Goody and am not even really clear on why any of us know about her in the first place. Which I guess makes me one of those people who only care about her because she has cancer and therefor part of the problem. I just can't help feeling very, very sorry for ANY mother looking at not seeing her kids grow up.

LuanneCat

Visit site
Very very sad. Having recently lost my Grandma to cancer that had spread everywhere I wish Jade and her family all the luck in the world that her remaining time is peaceful and as long as possible.

Also agree about the need for regular testing. The HPV vaccine is something that time will tell how effective it is.

Just one question though. Has been a while since i last researched but has there been any recent developments on the HPV link? Last i read it was present in about 80% of cases of cervical cancer but other than that no causal link had been found.

Puppy

Visit site
QR - I can't believe anyone feels anything other than sympathy for her
frown.gif
frown.gif
Some of the comments on this thread are just shocking
mad.gif

lucretia

Visit site
TBH Puppy as i said to Weezy, i dont think there is anything shocking in this thread. No-one is saying that she deserved to get a terminal disease nor that it is not very sad for her kids but there are many who have a current close connection with cancer who cannot really see why she is a special case.
personally, i realise that she is doing her best to provide a legacy for her kids but i dont care for the cynical use of the media nor for said media easy capitulation.
and as i am on here, Tarr, you make a good argument as ever and i would expect no less but i never ay any point said that anyone SHOULD give their fees to charity but i would PREFER to do without the press frenzy and that they should use their money in an alernative manner.
As has been pointed out above Jade chose to go to India instead of continue her treatment and while she may well have been in denial, can you allow yourself that luxury when you have kids depending on you? She isnt that stupid, she hasmade lots more money than most of us ever will from her astute use of the media, which until this point i rather admired, but doesnt there come a point when you might prefer to close the door and send you remaining time in private with your kids while you still have some?
I dont know if you were especially refering to me Puppy, and you may well not have been, but sadly it is a fact of a terrible disease that there are people a great deal worse off than jade in any cancer ward and for whom i have much more sympathy and i am sorry if that offends people but i am not going to apologise for it.

happyhack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR - I can't believe anyone feels anything other than sympathy for her
frown.gif
frown.gif
Some of the comments on this thread are just shocking
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. Some of these comments are totally disgusting.

I feel so sorry for Jade and her family.