Jaw Abscess - Plant Related??

Baldybear

www.freewebs.com
This time last year my ponio had a suspected tooth abscess, came up in a big lump under his jaw, vet came down thought he may have to have his tooth out, dosed him up on 2 courses of strong antibiotics and it cleared up, month later nothing to be seen, all gone clear!

This week the lump under his jaw has come back up again, same place, doesnt hurt him at all and is still out in the field eating and behaving the same.

Vet is coming down but was wondering as it was this time last year whether anyone has any bright ideas on any cause!! Was wondering whether it could be something in the field he has eaten at this time of year!

This is a real stab in the dark but thought I would ask!

Thanks!
smile.gif

jumpthemoon

Visit site
My mare had that - it appeared then burst and went for a while, then returned. She had it happen a few times when I first got her 2 years ago and once this year so far. My vet has said its nothing to worry about, her teeth are fine and it doesnt worry her, but I have no idea what it is....I just keep it clean and keep an eye on it...

steffielu

Visit site
Aha! Interesting..this sounds exactly like what my horse had last year!
He suffered with a recurring abscess under his jaw, which started off as a lump, kept growing, and eventually popped (gross-had free flowing pus for days!)
It would clear up, but it came back twice, after several months interval.
The vets were pretty baffled as to what caused it, and as anti-biotics (jabs & powder) had seemingly no effect, he was taken in to horsepital for swabs, blood tests, scans and x-rays.
The bloods showed nothing apart from he was sligtly anaemic (no viral infections) Swabs showed it was non-bacterial (so therefore sterile) and nothing showed up on scans & x-rays (no foriegn bodies/tooth probs)
So i was told to just expect it to come back, but hopefully clear up on its own. Charming, when I received the ever so slightly astronomical vets bill!
shocked.gif
!
So in your ponio's case, Im not sure if it may be food related, although some horses glands have a tendency to swell when turned out on good grazing.

It might be wise to get it thoroughly checked out with x-rays and swab tests, especially if it doesnt clear up. He might have a stick or something lodged in there, or it still could be a tooth abscess although I suspect it would be very painful for him if this is the case!

I know of people who have had random abscesses popping up, not sure if horses can have the same!??

Hope he get better soon..keep us posted on what vet thinks!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The horse I had on loan had an abecess under her tooth. Antibiotics cleared it up, only for it to return 18 months later. The infection was very deep rooted.

She had to have the tooth removed under GA in Bristol eventually.

Gucci_b

Visit site
I no a horse who had a small lump under the jaw by the molar set of teeth. had the vet out and x-rays were taken (4 of them) turns out it is a bone spur, and will knock it from time to time, but nothing to worry about.