JB Sportshorses / James Brizzell / Chuck Brizzell / S Dillon

Emma1974

New User
Visit site
I have just been through a long and painful court process with James Brizzell of JB Sportshorses and I wanted to make as many people aware of it as possible so that they don't have to go through a similar experience.

I purchased a horse from Mr James Brizzell, who is a horse trader operating in the local area (who trades under the name JB Sportshorses). I purchased the horse following misrepresentations made by Mr Brizzell that it would be suitable for my fourteen year old daughter to ride, but the horse proved to be wholly unfit for purpose.

A court has ordered Mr Brizzell to pay me £19,560.32 in respect of the misselling of the horse.

I purchased the horse from Mr Brizzell on 31 August 2016. Mr Brizzell had advertised the horse as "easy in all aspects of her daily care … well schooled … [and] safe and sensible", and his agent, Mr Seamus Dillon, described the horse to me as entirely suitable for my teenage daughter. I purchased the horse after a veterinary examination indicated that it would be suitable for a novice rider.

However, after purchasing the horse, it quickly became clear that the horse was unsuitable; two weeks after the purchase, the horse bolted and bucked my daughter off during her riding lesson, and the riding instructor at my daughter's school was so concerned about its behaviour that she insisted it was removed. A subsequent veterinary examination confirmed that painkiller medications had been given to the horse prior to the purchase which had masked the fact that the horse was in fact lame, dangerous when ridden and wholly unsuitable.

Mr Brizzell refused to repay the purchase price and refused to take the horse back. The County Court at Basingstoke made an order on 20 July 2017 for Mr Brizzell to pay me £12,048.27 in damages, interest of £12.05 and £7,500 in legal fees.

However, Mr Brizzell has refused to comply with the order and apparently has no assets in his name, so I have not been paid. I am infinitely less concerned by the money, however, than by the fact that my daughter was extremely lucky to escape very serious injury - and I want to do whatever I can to avoid others being put in the same position.

PLEASE INSIST ON A BLOOD TEST IF YOU ARE HAVING A JJB HORSE VETTED AND GET IT CHECKED BEFORE PURCHASING.

I.M.N.

Visit site
I'm so sorry you and your daughter had to go through such an ordeal, well done for persisting. There are so many of these dealers and they make me so angry as they are toying with peoples lives. I hope your daughter found a horse she deserved?

onemoretime

Visit site
I have just been through a long and painful court process with James Brizzell of JB Sportshorses and I wanted to make as many people aware of it as possible so that they don't have to go through a similar experience.

I purchased a horse from Mr James Brizzell, who is a horse trader operating in the local area (who trades under the name JB Sportshorses). I purchased the horse following misrepresentations made by Mr Brizzell that it would be suitable for my fourteen year old daughter to ride, but the horse proved to be wholly unfit for purpose.

A court has ordered Mr Brizzell to pay me £19,560.32 in respect of the misselling of the horse.

I purchased the horse from Mr Brizzell on 31 August 2016. Mr Brizzell had advertised the horse as "easy in all aspects of her daily care … well schooled … [and] safe and sensible", and his agent, Mr Seamus Dillon, described the horse to me as entirely suitable for my teenage daughter. I purchased the horse after a veterinary examination indicated that it would be suitable for a novice rider.

However, after purchasing the horse, it quickly became clear that the horse was unsuitable; two weeks after the purchase, the horse bolted and bucked my daughter off during her riding lesson, and the riding instructor at my daughter's school was so concerned about its behaviour that she insisted it was removed. A subsequent veterinary examination confirmed that painkiller medications had been given to the horse prior to the purchase which had masked the fact that the horse was in fact lame, dangerous when ridden and wholly unsuitable.

Mr Brizzell refused to repay the purchase price and refused to take the horse back. The County Court at Basingstoke made an order on 20 July 2017 for Mr Brizzell to pay me £12,048.27 in damages, interest of £12.05 and £7,500 in legal fees.

However, Mr Brizzell has refused to comply with the order and apparently has no assets in his name, so I have not been paid. I am infinitely less concerned by the money, however, than by the fact that my daughter was extremely lucky to escape very serious injury - and I want to do whatever I can to avoid others being put in the same position.

PLEASE INSIST ON A BLOOD TEST IF YOU ARE HAVING A JJB HORSE VETTED AND GET IT CHECKED BEFORE PURCHASING.
. Firstly I would like to say how sorry I am that you have been through this dreadful ordeal. It may be worth you putting this on the Facebook site Dodgy Horse Dealers and Sellars so that other can be warned.

Emma1974

New User
Visit site
That's really kind of you - thank you! Yes she has, through a friend - but you're so right, what makes me so furious is exactly that, toying with people's lives. One day someone will be very seriously hurt because they are making a quick buck.

adyyam

New User
Visit site
hello Emma
I have been caught in the same situation as you but have returned the horse myself. I have a court writ against him and are now using a private firm (bailiffs) to try and recover some money from him. Have you got anywhere in your case?
I am shocked to read that he has swindled so many people.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just had a look on Google out of interest and it seems that there are many JB Sporthorses operating as a business. I would be careful to always include the area that your one operates in if you intend to tall your tale.

siennamiller

Visit site
My friend bought a horse off Chuck Brizzell, it turned out to have major lameness and had to be put to sleep, she was absolutely devastated, and no come back for her ����. So sorry you had to go through this, and relieved that your daughter is ok.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I just had a look on Google out of interest and it seems that there are many JB Sporthorses operating as a business. I would be careful to always include the area that your one operates in if you intend to tall your tale.

He moves around the country !

Addition James is also known as Chuck.

Last edited:

MaxboleyBlack

Visit site
My friend also bought a horse off of him not so long ago, he was delivered to her and in an absolute state when he arrived. Completely unsuitable to her and a different horse to when she tried him, she had to sell on (at a much lower price) as he refused to take the horse back.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Have you taken advice on enforcing the judgment? Did he trade through a company name or personally (check your invoice/contract)? Does he own a property, or a car or TV or electrical goods etc...most people do? If he owns a property you can place a restriction against it. If he owns a car/goods then a high court enforcement officer can get a writ from the high court and seize/sell his assets. Could also make him bankrupt (albeit this can get expensive).

mandyroberts

Visit site
My friend also bought a horse off of him not so long ago, he was delivered to her and in an absolute state when he arrived. Completely unsuitable to her and a different horse to when she tried him, she had to sell on (at a much lower price) as he refused to take the horse back.

How soon was he delivered after she tried him? Did she have 5 stage vet and bloods?

hihosilver

Visit site
Seamus Dillion use to be in Kent- sold many, many dodgy horses. He left owing loads of money and then went in partnership with Chuck. Very easy to get caught as they make horses look very good and horses are always well mannered when shown. I think definitely warn others on dodgy dealers.

Hilary Westall

New User
Visit site
Oh my goodness. I find myself in a very similar position but haven't got as far as summons yet. I bought a horse from Seamus Dillon on 9th April this year, I didn't know the connection with James Brizzell at the time. The horse was advertised as 'safe, sensible, mannerly, quiet, good in all respects', etc. I did go and try the horse and bought him. However, it has become very apparent that he's as green as the grass...yes he can jump, he can also rear and spin round very fast if anything doesn't take his fancy. I took him to a Riding Club clinic and along with some nice paces and some good jumping, he spun / reared several times and finally had me off. My instructor was alarmed and said I should send him back to the dealer and get my money back. Hah. I have asked Seamus to take the horse back and refund me but he has so far not co-operated. He's willing to exchange him for another horse when he gets some more over from Ireland. I've decided I don't want to risk that as I think he buys them in, keeps them for the shortest possible time, videos them going round a course of fences, and sells them fast as 'great allrounders'. Some he might get away with. The horse I bought has proved himself to be anything but calm, quiet and safe. When I first asked for a refund, I asked him about JB Sportshorses and he denied having anything to do with James Brizzell any more, as he'd gone bankrupt (what a surprise!!). Seamus operates out of the same last registered address for JB Sportshorses so I can only assume that JB himself is still very much involved and that Seamus is now his front man. Do I take him to court?? Or do I cut my losses and try to sell the horse on as a project for someone??

adyyam

New User
Visit site
Do NOT buy from him!!

You are among several who have been caught out by him. I have been told there is nothing/ no one at the yard at Tadley any more. You are wasting money taing him to court, a few people have been there already and it gets you no where. Keep in touch , I have people looking for him .

sport horse

Visit site
It is quite amazing that he has been able to trade under various personal names, various business names, has numerous outstanding court judgments but is still able to move on and start again.

Hilary Westall

New User
Visit site
You are among several who have been caught out by him. I have been told there is nothing/ no one at the yard at Tadley any more. You are wasting money taing him to court, a few people have been there already and it gets you no where. Keep in touch , I have people looking for him .

He's definitely there...although I doubt very much he actually 'lives' there. Charlotte Foreman keeps horses there, she was there when I viewed and collected the horse, she's been linked to James Brizzell in the past (and probably now), she goes showjumping to Wellington Equestrian with Seamus Dillon, they'd been out the day I collected the horse. There are quite a few horses kept at Ash Park so always someone around. Seamus received two letters I sent to that address by recorded delivery, although for a court summons it has to be his residential address and I'm not sure it is. It's unbelievable that he and others can get away with what they do again and again. I will save myself the hassle of going to court as a friend of mine is a barrister and said that even if court goes in my favour, the biggest difficulty is in enforcing anything with someone who has no assets and we don't know residential address. Soooo frustrating.

adyyam

New User
Visit site
they are basically criminals, if you ever find where they live or rent please post it on here. Please warn anyone looking to buy a horse to steer well clear of anyone connected to JB sportshorses.

Archangel

Visit site
Used to trade as Ride Irish in Sussex. Defo very dodgy!

Oh heavens not him. We went to see a horse there. My friend survived the viewing (just) went to put the horse on the walker to cool down and all hell broke loose. I have never seen anything like it.

I think there is a queue round the block waiting to sue him.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Oh heavens not him. We went to see a horse there. My friend survived the viewing (just) went to put the horse on the walker to cool down and all hell broke loose. I have never seen anything like it.

I think there is a queue round the block waiting to sue him.

Gosh I was lucky then. Horse wasn’t suitable for me but sold on without losing too much money to a more knowledgeable home and is actually doing well. So turned out ok but seller refused to take it back despite saying he would, so I had to sort it out myself.

Reactions: lar