Jeep Cherokee? Towing?

scrumpygus

Visit site
I have a jeep cherokee and tow an ifor williams 510 with 2 large horses on with no probs whatsoever - its a lovely car - but expensive to maintain - when bits and bobs go wrong it has cost a small fortune. Other than that lovely to drive and tow with.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I borrowed my friends cherokee for towing a few times, it was ok but not the best. It was an old version though although very well maintained and was an automatic petrol so it was extremely thirsty. I'd personally look at others first. I got a nissan terrano last year and I must say I am very impressed, it isn't as heavy as the shogun but totally fine for one horse and is a little more economical than the shogun or discovery that I had before.

scrumpygus

Visit site
Mine is an auto diesel and i agree - very thirsty but i cant compare to others as ive never had another 4x4 - my sister has the terrano and she hates it with a passion but thats because alots gone wrong with it lately. But i will say the jep is quite luxurious with alot of jazzy extras which i like.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, Am looking for something to tow my Ifor 505, not sure I really want anything too large, but having a look found this. Does anyone have any info, good or bad. I currently have a Freelander which I am aware is not suitable but the size for me is ideal for driving to work and around town.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...c&logcode=p

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the Freelander not suitable ?

sharonxx

BigRed

Visit site
Toyota Landcruiser has plenty of grunt, so does Isuzu Trooper. The usual suspects, Disco, Shogun, Landrover, Range Rover. The Jeeps have very poor reliability records. Personally I am on my 4th Isuzu Trooper, the most reliable, comfortable, easy big 4x4. I love it. I have bags and bags of power to tow with and still get 30mpg from her.

BigRed

Visit site
The freelander only has a tow capacity of 2000kg. Most double trailers weigh in the region of 1000kg. The average 16h horse will weigh 5-600kg. It means you cannot safely or legally put two horses in the trailer. In reality if you put one big horse in the trailer, you could run out of puff on a steep hill and run out of brakes going down the other side.

Sarah_Star

Visit site
I have a jeep cherokee, found it really good for towing. It does really tight turning circles which is useful in confined spaces, at shows etc. It feels a bit small on the inside though. But overall it's a good towing car. Comfortable towed two large (16h1") horse in it many times with no problems.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I have a Grand Cherokee 4L petrol that I use for towing, I love it.
Its quite old but it sailed through the MOT without having anything done to it at all. In the 18 months I've had it, it's never let me down and has never had to have anything done. The brakes need doing now thats all.
Not bad for a £900 Ebay bargain!

It was brilliant in the snow too.

TheCurlyPony

Visit site
I have a 3.7 but its lpg. Much cheaper to run than petrol and diesel. Very easy to tow with. Never had and probs with it. Was great in the snow too.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
I know quite a few that changed their jeep cherokee to a grand cherokee, more horsepower .

On saying that I had one of the old square type cherokee and it was great for towing until the head gasket went on it whilst towing down the motorway
crazy.gif
frown.gif

How about a shogun ? or a terrano ?

hellspells

Visit site
I've had a 4ltr Grande Cheerokee and now have a Cheerokee sport - both brilliant for towing (I have the 2.5 diesal now). Great horsie cars but as said above the older they get the more expensive they are to maintain.

supertramp

Visit site
Thankies for the quick replies. am after the newer shape I think? Have also looked at the Terrano, Trooper(i like) Disco , Kia, etc, but there appears to be a limited supply here in devon, and I also have a limited supply of cash, and Freelander not sold as yet.
Freelander off to have MOT on monday in preparation for selling.

rascal

Visit site
We also have a grand cherokee 4l petrol auto and i love it! Tows two big horses no problem. Great in the snow.
Weve also had land rovers and a range rover all were nice but i prefer my jeep. But then i like my comfort, getting old you see!! Not that the range rover wasnt comfy.

stilltrying

Visit site
I had one like this and it was great for towing. I used to have a very light trailer and was able to tow 2 horses and be within the cars limits. however when I bought my 510 I could only tow one as it is a much heavier trailer so swapped for a Kia. Have also had the grand cherokee and isuzu, all were good, out of all of them the most powerful (and least economical!) was the grand cherokee. It was a 4l petrol and you didn't even know you had the trailer on the back!

pinktiger

Visit site
i use to tow with one before i got my lorry!! it was awesome wouldve towed my house!!!!! towed better than it drove normally!!!!!! felt very safe in it and loved it!!!! didnt however love the fuel bills at over 90 quid a week just for pootling around think the onboard computer said i was getting 20mpg!!!
shocked.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
We bought an old jeep cherokee (M reg) for £300 from ebay to tide us over whilst looking for a new discovery. I towed a 3 horse trailer with just 2 small horses in it on short journeys (20mins max) not going over 30mph and it was fine. Any more than that and it overheated so we sold it before the head gasket went.

We replaced it with a 3.9L discovery converted to lpg (again an m reg) and it's much better suited to the job. It sails up reigate hill on the m25 towing 3 horses and the temperature gauge never budges.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
We are on our 3rd, love them but the newest one is our first auto and VERY thirsty compared to the previous. Towing wise, brill, never had a problem and we tow a very big Richardson trailer. Agree with costs when they go wrong, that was why we parted with previous one and only got same price as the one you have put up for a 55 reg!

Luci07

Visit site
Have one, had it for 4 years and run some 80000 miles in it and it is brilliant and very reliable. Tows well and (again) fantastic in the snow - never stuck. I dont, however, go to a Jeep garage, I go to my local and hence do not get stuffed with mega expensive bills. I tow 1 large (16.2 m/w) horse + bateson with no problem (and that includes up and down Reigate hill as well!) - BUT in theory, it could tow 2 big horses I have never had the bottle to try that and have a self imposed limit of mine + upto 16 hh lw or TB as companion. Ranmore Hill is my personal killer and I am a little loath to test out the jeep and trailer....but to be fair, lorries struggle up that hill.