Jeremy Clarkson

BeesKnees

Visit site
Public sector workers are very aware of the difficult economic climate,but please do not blame us for that.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm objecting to the self serving attitudes of many, attempting to garner sympathy for a strike with comments about how hard they work, how devoted they are blah blah. As if private sector workers were sitting around on their a***s!

If you believe in the cause, just do whatever you feel is right. Don't ask people who are worse off than you to give you their blessing.

cptrayes

Visit site
.I could bash the private sector,for failing to deliver a good service.

NO-ONE has been bashing nurses for failing to deliver a good service.

ALL we have done is to point out that you work no harder than people in the private sector and you have an absolutely brilliant pension even AFTER the proposed changes, and yet your Unions have chosen to strike.

YOU are the ones who are choosing to interpret that as public sector bashing.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
NO-ONE has been bashing nurses for failing to deliver a good service.

ALL we have done is to point out that you work no harder than people in the private sector and you have an absolutely brilliant pension even AFTER the proposed changes, and yet your Unions have chosen to strike.

YOU are the ones who are choosing to interpret that as public sector bashing.

If it's any help, I work in the public sector but I understand that if the money's not there, it's not there! Where do people think it's going to come from?

And working in the public sector is NOT harder than working in the private sector. My sister works in the private sector and has to work far harder and much longer hours than me and suffers a great deal of stress. I think those working in the public sector at the moment should feel very grateful.

Mrs B

Visit site
If it's any help, I work in the public sector but I understand that if the money's not there, it's not there! Where do people think it's going to come from?

And working in the public sector is NOT harder than working in the private sector. My sister works in the private sector and has to work far harder and much longer hours than me and suffers a great deal of stress. I think those working in the public sector at the moment should feel very grateful.

Thank you, HH! :)

That's all we've been saying - not bashing, nor disrespecting, or being unappreciative, or anything akin to it.

We KNOW you do a valuable job. And we know it's pants at the moment. All we're saying is: we feel your pain because we've been going through the same thing since spring 2008. We, in the private sector, have lost thousands and seen our pensions dissolve.

We saw massive, unsustainable growth and now we are paying for it. No-one blamed the bankers when they were making lots of money for us through pensions, shares and investments. But now they're not...

It's swings and roundabouts for everyone, whichever sector we work in and you can blame who you want, but the end result for most of us is the same.

But please, don't tell us that it's ok to disadvantage the rest of us by striking, as you don't hurt those you want to (whoever they are), just us.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Haivng been a private sector worker for years and now working public sector I have to say I prefer the public sector (yep I know but I do) and I went on strike. NOT due to my pension being buggered (im not in it) But I supported what they were standing for and I wouldnt cross a picket line.

I was made redundant TWICE in the private sector to protect the bigwigs and shareholders bonuses so If I can im sticking with public sector .

nursecroft

Visit site
For goodness sake i never said nurses worked harder than anyone in the private sector, i really don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. I don't think nurses get paid enough considering the skills, responibilty and education they have.... that is my opinion which i am perfectly entitled too!!!!!

nursecroft

Visit site
Poor you,
WAKE UP, you are not the only person who is in a difficult position, I just met a girl I know from 7 years ago, her family [four carers required] look after her 24/7, and now they have a people carrier with a ramp and all sorts, I think it must have cost about £20K, I don't grudge them, it is the cost of her living, she is paid for on the NH / benefit system in the UK, given the choice, I am sure she would rather be healthy.
This lady can't speak. is doubly incontinent, and has to be fed by tube, personally I am happy to be able to [financially] contibute to her care, without having to actually do it!

why do you have to be so nasty????

I know full well there are lots of people worse of than me and trust me i have more going on in my life than just watching my mum die, i also nursed my 28 step brother and watched him die three years ago but thanks for the sympathy, you sound a lovely person.

nursecroft

Visit site
I'm sorry you are struggling Nursecroft and feel attacked but it is only because rpeatedly the public sector workers on here have shown absolutely NO idea about how tough things are for many private sector workers.

I manage a small business, which means I basically do everything including the monthly income and expenditure and performance accounts, writing contracts, policies and procedures and managing staff. I have a degree and postgraduate qualifications. I also do unpaid hours most days.

No, people dont die if i dont do my job well, but the business owner risks losing his house and the ability to care for his 3 children if the business fails. So yes I think I do have a lot of responsibility and I am at least as qualified as you.

I earn considerably less than the average salary in the UK and due to the tough climate I have not had a pay rise in 3 years.

I have a tiny private pension that is worth less this year than last, and at today's value would pay £88. Per month.

Now do you see that's why we get annoyed?

Yes i appreciate that as i have said i'm the only one in my family that is a public sector worker , i can't comment on the private sector as everyone has different employers or are self employed and yes i have the luxury of always knowing i have a job. But we went into nursing knowing what we would be getting and balancing it against posssibly risking working in the private sector. I really can't see how everyone has said all public workers don't appreciate how hard private workers work???

But thank you for being polite, there are quite a few nasty people on this forum, as a newbie I'm not sure i really want to stick around which is a shame.

nursecroft

Visit site
Couldn't agree more Nursecroft.The problem is that most people have little real insight into the roles and responsibilities that qualified Nurses carry each shift,and beyond.My contract still makes me responsible for what happens when i am off duty.Furthermore,myself and colleagues have additional responsibilities,such as assessing and managing risk factors,safeguarding children and adults,attending public protection meetings,and having to come up with strategies in the absence of any legislation which helps us to manage risk.The media have been waging a negative campaign against NHS,Teachers etc for some time,with little substance behind their spurious allegations.One Harold Shipman or Beverley Allit does not mean all staff are bad,or let infections run rife.The inadequate system,and systematic underfunding caused the latter.The majority of staff provide a very dedicated service.I could bash the private sector,for failing to deliver a good service.Look at the case of HSBC,as one example of greed and corruption.I gather the financial advisor's took their big bonus and accepted no responsibility.Perhaps the private sector also needs a shake up to make it more competitive,and to provide the customer with a good service.

Thank you, yes seems a very one sided debate with me getting a real bashing!! There is always pros and cons for working on either side, it seems a shame there seems to be a divide and them and us attitude now.

nursecroft

Visit site
Posted this on another thread and decided to throw it in here as well. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb ;)

I literally don't think it matters what anyone says, the views are too entrenched. The Private sector very obviously think that the public sector are bumbling, incompetent dolts that are latched onto a lucrative nipple and living a life of luxury with the promise of more reward in retirement. The public sector are exasperated and frustrated because they feel they have been robbed. The two sides will never see eye to eye, unless of course all public sector workers are reduced to minimum wage or something.

From my perspective things appear thus: I am a lecturer in FE. I work pretty hard, pay loads of tax and am expecting to work until I am about 70 before I can afford to retire. However, I am also a temporary member of staff, since cuts have placed an embargo on appointing anymore permanent posts. I do indeed enjoy long holidays, enforced by the fact that the college closes and I am not paid for this time, so struggle along by saving to pay rent etc. I could live better if I didn't have a horse, but on the other side I don't have children so I think they are comparable in cost. I doubt very much I will be taking home a massive pension, and don't think I am living in enviable conditions compared to a private sector worker. I am sure I will be told to suck it up, and I did end up choosing this career so must bear some of the responsibility, but the same can be said for anyone who chose private sector over public - you made a choice, so don't castigate others for the choice they made. The govt promised a certain pension per worker, they can no longer deliver. How or why they can no longer deliver is somewhat irrelevant as they made a deal and now are reneging. The fact they already did something similar to the private sector does not make it right.

I also find it infuriating that C**tron and his colleagues rake in huge salaries, retire on huge pensions and seem to do very little more than make quips at each other across the house of commons. I would feel more vindicated if these swine were forced to endure the same conditions and cuts as their "employees" as it were.

And Mr Clarkson, a spanner who spends his days having d*ck measuring contests with his friends by driving around in cars, has a brass neck on him for suggesting that he works hard. Faffing around in a car and occasionally ejaculating some diatribe intended to offend and bait those of a sensitive nature does not equate to hard work in my book!!

Brilliant post

nursecroft

Visit site
Christ's sake!!!! he is a presenter on a childish motoring program he writes a collum in a paper or two and he is well known for winding up the dull , po faced , and these cretins that believe the world is going to melt if we dont tax everyone in the into poverty amongst others!!! get over it he is a jester .
and as for you mupets in the public sector instead of kicking off and telling everyone what a fantastic job you do for little money think about the recent failings in the NHS like stafford hospital, MRSA, and shocking lack of care for the elderly that has been reported in the papers and even on the lefty bbc, police arent exactly stellar either , Teachers judging from the sullen chav scum with little or no work ethic that seem to roam the streets need to up their game too ... so lose the sense of intitlement and get on with the jobs be the best...and stop digging yourself's deeper with your arrogant comments , your unions puppet goverment is out of office and the present lot are making an attempt to ballance the books ..so get over it...

You are very rude and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you'd soon be grateful is one of us 'muppets' saves your life. Jesus have any of you lot slagging of NHS staff actually re-read your disgusting posts???? I appreciate everyone that works hard for the economy but respect is a two way street and your pathetic insults really do not help.

Yes as with all professions/jobs there are people that should not be doing it, if all us nurses are so bad lets see how you get on without us!!!! Anyone would think we were the worst kind of people in the world, there just to cause problems not help people. What a stupid mindless post.

perfect11s

Visit site
You are very rude and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you'd soon be grateful is one of us 'muppets' saves your life. Jesus have any of you lot slagging of NHS staff actually re-read your disgusting posts???? I appreciate everyone that works hard for the economy but respect is a two way street and your pathetic insults really do not help.

Yes as with all professions/jobs there are people that should not be doing it, if all us nurses are so bad lets see how you get on without us!!!! Anyone would think we were the worst kind of people in the world, there just to cause problems not help people. What a stupid mindless post.
I now strongly believe the people in the public sector must inhabit a parallel universe and/ or are totaly incapable of seeing wood for trees.....

nursecroft

Visit site
I now strongly believe the people in the public sector must inhabit a parallel universe and/ or are totaly incapable of seeing wood for trees.....

Yes obviously all us public sector workers are aliens really too and secretly have 8 legs and 5 eyes... no wonder we are so different to you human private sector workers :rolleyes:

Anyway... i'm back off to talk about horses which is the reason i have joined this forum... luckily there are also some pleasant people here too.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
why do you have to be so nasty????

I know full well there are lots of people worse of than me and trust me i have more going on in my life than just watching my mum die, i also nursed my 28 step brother and watched him die three years ago but thanks for the sympathy, you sound a lovely person.
I am not being nasty, I am being objective, you don't like the job so I think you should change it, as I said before, there are many jobs for qualified nurses.
I was not comparing your situation to being a paraplegic, what I was responding to your idea that we don't know the cost of the NHS, and that nurses are not valued.
If you read my thread you should see that I am happy to pay my share of this lady's care, though I am not involved in the allocation of funds, they are available and her care is paid for out of taxation, this is one example of taxpayers contributing to the NHS
If you check back you will see that in principle I can understand the PS workers striking because they signed up for a good job with a good pension.
As in most jobs, not many 19 year olds' concern themselves with the pension part of the package, it starts to become more relevant when they have been working for ten and more years. In the case of nursing, this should almost always be a vocational element when choosing this as a career.
PS I watched my mother die when I was a child, killed by passive smoking [selfish husband], and my father was bedridden for five years, nursed 24/7 by his replacement wife, this was his choice, and he was such a pain in the ass that no one in the NHS including his doctor would visit or support him

Last edited:

BeesKnees

Visit site

That's all we've been saying - not bashing, nor disrespecting, or being unappreciative, or anything akin to it.

We KNOW you do a valuable job. And we know it's pants at the moment. All we're saying is: we feel your pain because we've been going through the same thing since spring 2008. We, in the private sector, have lost thousands and seen our pensions dissolve.

We saw massive, unsustainable growth and now we are paying for it. No-one blamed the bankers when they were making lots of money for us through pensions, shares and investments. But now they're not...

It's swings and roundabouts for everyone, whichever sector we work in and you can blame who you want, but the end result for most of us is the same.

But please, don't tell us that it's ok to disadvantage the rest of us by striking, as you don't hurt those you want to (whoever they are), just us.

THIS ^^

hackneylass2

Visit site
At this time, the economy is so fragile that if you are lucky enough to be in a job, pensions should be the least of your worries. Some employers really are taking the P....I recently applied for a medical copywriting post which, after I worked out the rate per 1000 words, would have paid me an average of 81p per hour. Too many previously paid posts are now staffed by volunteers too...more Big Society rubbish.

Alec Swan

Visit site

That's about it, I suppose.

I have a FIL who suffers from dementia, his driving licence has been taken from him. He says it's not fair. It's not, but he has dementia, and can't understand. The bulk of the Public Sector workers should be in possession of their marbles, and they should understand. It's tough ***t, get on with it, as the rest of society does.

Alec.

Ets, and would you be kind enough to stop whinging, it's becoming tedious! a.

Last edited: