Jim folowing surgery - update with pics.

Nari

Visit site
In case anyone was wondering how he's doing following this thread http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4495335/an/0/page/11#4495335 he's now off all meds except GastroGuard, is eating & drinking happily, peeing& pooing near normally & as bright as a button. I can't believe how well he's done, according to my weightape he hasn't even lost much weight! The hospital staff have been lovely to both of us & I'm sure that's why he's settled down so well & seems so relaxed, you'd never guess it from these photos but he can be quite a stress-head.

Anyway here are some photos I took of him today, I'm really pleased with how he's looking! Excuse the photo quality, it was a new, very cheap camera because my OH moans if I take his good one up the yard :rolleyes: plus Jim isn't a very co-operative model in the stable, he thinks I should be playing with him not cameras!

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

One well kissed nose!
PICT0006.jpg

With his the lovely nurse, a bit sulky because he'd rather be grazing
PICT0007.jpg

"Well about time too!"
PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

And a bit more fuss & scratches in the stable
PICT0029.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

We'd both like to say a massive thank you forall you good thoughts & prayers.

Daffodil

Visit site
Lovely. Had been wondering how he was getting on.
Fingers crossed he's well and truly on the mend and comes home soon.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
My beloved mare had major major emergency surgery when she was 25 due to lipomas (on the table for 6 hours, 34 foot of gut removed, prognosis really poor, I really don't think the vet thought she would make it, but she owes me nothing and I owed her at least to try). But she's now 33 and still in work (has to be otherwise she wreaks havoc!). It was a long road to recovery, but worth every minute. I honestly thought I was going to lose her that day, and every day since then is a bonus. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Nari

Visit site
MrsM he's at Valley Equine hospital in Lambourn, I'm really lucky that it's right on my doorstep so visiting is easy.

Nikicb fortunately his surgery wasn't anywhere near as severe as that, I think I'd have had a nervous breakdown! The big worry is that the type of colic he had frequently has no known cause or trigger so I can't do anything to avoid it in the future.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well he looks really great, considering what he's been through. It must be really frustrating not knowing what causes it, at least my mare had a 'physical' condition which shouldn't repeat itself. I feel for you, it must be hard. And yes I probably did have a nervous breakdown at the time - I was working in the city and told my (completely non horsey) boss I couldn't come in for a few days as I had to be near my horse in case anything happened - I think he thought I was batty but he took it very well!

maddielove

Visit site
Glad he's doing well, my mare had surgery at the beggining of the year! However because of her ulcer problem she took longer to recover!
Nice to see that he's being treated with gastro guard!! I really wish that they'd have done that with my mare - would have saved the further colics and things!

Nari

Visit site
ApplegroveLorcan they've been incredibly thorough. I only mentioned that he'd been query ulcers a couple of years ago & they picked straight up on it. I told them I'd had him on U-Gard ever since which had seemed to help with some problems & he'd had a droppings test for ulcers that had come back negative. At that point he'd been on U-Gard for quite some time though & that test would only pick up ulcers that were bleeding (vet & I had been reluctant to have him scoped as we both felt he wouldn't cope well). The surgeon then suggested scoping him & since he was already in hospital I was quite happy to agree & I must say it's a relief to have a diagnosis as it goes a long way to explaining some of his behaviour - he's an incredibly loving & generous horse but at times he's just totally lost it & been dangerous to himself & everyone around him with no obvious reason for his outbursts until now. Whether it had any impact on the colic I'll never know but the vet thinks it's unlikely to have been a factor.

nikicb I'm fortunate enough to to work but if I was I'd have done exactly the same. I'd have been no use to anyone anyway - all I've done is cry, post on forums (often while crying), & generally be an emotional exhausted wreck.

Nari

Visit site
Hopefully this week if he stays ok off the drugs & his bloods come back ok. It depends a bit on what the surgeon says he needs & whether I can manage to do that on a livery yard though I expect the YO will do her best to be helpful, she's good in this sort of situation.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
I am really pleased that Jim is well on the road to recovery, you must be so relieved. Next milestone will be getting him home and then gradually back to normal. Take one day at a time and the recovery time will fly by. Give him a hug and pat from me. Best wishes to you both.