Jim nearly 3weeks after colic op

Nari

Visit site
I thought some of you who'd been following his progress may be interested in these. I don't think he's looking bad, all things considered. He hasn't even dropped much weight according to my weigh tape!
Not impressed at being made to stand around
100_1022.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1024.jpg

Back in his box
100_1025.jpg

100_1041.jpg

100_1043.jpg

100_1046.jpg

And a couple of his incision, complete with staples following Tuesday's failed attempts to remove them.
100_1042.jpg

100_1045.jpg

Nari

Visit site
He's not overly impressed with it TBH. He behaves in the stable but demands a lot of attention. He's good to walk round the barn as long as the gates are shut, he's not too trustworthy if he knows he can get out. Grazing in hand has been rather "interesting" at times & now I only do it if someone else is around, if I'm on my own I walk him then handpick a bucket of grass. It helps that his companion is more than happy to stay in with him & in my friend's barn they can touch & groom each other.

The vet's needlework is excellent, if I ever need stitching I know where I'm going!

Patches

Visit site
What a neat incision line.

You'd never believe he had just been through colic surgery. His coat and condition are amazing.

Here's hoping his recovery continues without hitch.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
He is looking very well and I hope his recovery continues to go smoothly. I know what you mean about inhand walking and trusting them when you are on your own. I had to lead my horse in a bridle holding the reins and also a long lunge line so I still had something to hold. He used to grab either the lunge line or the reins in his teeth and then show me his belly (rearing and leaping) or try and tank off as he wanted some fun, this was within 10 days of the operation!

Not too much longer before you will be able to turn him out hopefully for short periods. Continued good luck.

stroppymare153

Visit site
he looks really well! daughter's horse had colic surgery in early march
frown.gif
- lost a lot of weight at the time but has made a great recovery
grin.gif
- see http://www.everybodysmile.biz/photosynergy/ Stonar BE XC Wed 1st July, page 14, 3rd photo on page and lots after!
He is better than ever now and thoroughly enjoying himself!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

hope your lovely boy does as well!

Nari

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I'm amazed at how quickly he's bounced back, I really thought I'd be dealing with a very ill horse for a long time. Instead my biggest problems are keeping him occuoied, keeping him under control & trying to get his pony out of sight for long enough to get it some exercise.

Actually does anyone have any tips on the last one? I thought he was going to take the stable down yesterday because it went round a corner & he couldn't see it. Jim was in a different, bigger stable with full walls & ,I kid you not, he was cantering round it! That's NOT good for him or my nerves. It seems some days he can cope but others he really can't, Saturday I managed to turn Little Un out for an hour & all Jim did was shout a few times, most days I'll graze him in hand but out of sight & that's ok too but yesterday he literally just moved out of sight & he was hysterical. It's not ideal by a lonbg way, Little Un really should be worked.

Bennions Field

Visit site
this takes me back to just over 12 months ago, my 17 year old 17hh gelding went to lea hurst for colic surgery, he took quite a while to recover even having to return after 10 days as he started niggling again with colic. the first few weeks weren't too bad as I think he was so sore, but once he was able to move more he did tend to get a little impatient, I found having a stable mirror helped him in his stable as even when his mini shetlands dissapeared out of sight he thought his big 'friend' was still with him. I have since put them in all my stables and its even stopped my 26 year old mare from box walking so they do seem to work. Its worth a try anyway, but make sure you intro carefully, and ensure you use a proper purpose made stable mirror. I also found once he was able to graze that I put him in a very small electric fenced 20ft x 20ft paddock for 10 minutes at a time gradually increasing as per hospitals instructions. Be patient, it does get better and they do recover. My lad is now 18 and 12 months on looking great, and most importantly feeling great. Thanks to the vet a lea hurst he is still here and hopefully has a few more years of quality of life left.
Good Luck, keep looking forward to getting back to normal, it does take time but it really is worth all the effort.
laugh.gif

Nari

Visit site
The stables are half walls on three sides & barn slats on the other so ther isn't anywhere to attach a mirror (not to mention the fact I can't afford one for some reason!). I also wouldn't trust him not to attack it, he's very defensive of his space & although he loves having Little Un next door I've had problems with other horses next to him in the past, basically he's usually ok if the other horse is very submissive & backs off quickly if he threatens but that's not what a mirror would do. Thanks for the idea though, if he was less stroppy I'm sure it would have worked.

Interestingly a friend came to ride LU today on the strict understanding that if Jim created she came straight back as fast as she could. He really wasn't that bothered, called a couple of times when he left but was calm & had a good groom & bran mash instead. The next time he called was a couple of minutes before LU was home so I guess he heard him before I did. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever get my head around what makes him tick
crazy.gif

He's been allowed in hand grass almost from the start, if he's too loopy to graze or no-one's around I pick it for him. I was told strictly no turnout for 4 weeks though, & then only if he'll be quiet. I'm not sure he understands quiet. I may go back to the hospital for more on getting him back out - how much grass can he go on, how long for etc etc. There is some very long ryegrass that's gone to seed that I've been handpicking & I could tape off a stable sized area, maybe that would be enough to keep him busy. I've still got to get to & from it though! Oh well, life's never boring with him around
tongue.gif

mogs22

Visit site
My 18year TB gelding old had colic surgery at end of March this year, at Liphook, lost loads of weight and was very skinny, luckily he is fine on his own, had no problems except for boredom after week 3, so led him out more to long grass - although was very careful how much he ate, I took him for walks for an hour in the morning and an hour at night, he is now on week 6 of paddock rest in small fenced part of larger field so he can see the other horses. I am lucky - or not - that my work has gone so quiet and had time to spend with him, I went to yard every 2 hours for first month - except overnight - I think the seperation from others is the worst, but hand grazing near the others is difficult as they want to go to their mates, so mine was all solo grazing on long grass down a quiet track, with headcoller and lunge rein (lead rope too short if they play up).
My horse has 2 weeks left before I can put him back out with others who will possibly bully him - again, such a wimp - but he will be in at nights as thats when they all play and my other gelding gets most of his cuts.
If your horse is left alone for long periods it will make him worse - you are better than no-one - having horses to watch nearby even if he cannot get to them is better.

Nari

Visit site
Mogs he isn't left alone at all, he always has his pony next door (half wall stables so they can groom etc) &/or me.

Even solo grazing in hand is very dodgy now, even on days he copes the feeling is "when" rather than "if" he acts up. Don't be fooled by the sweet looks, he's a love but he isn't reliable.

For some reason he'd got himself really agitated & stressed/furious this morning. I was worried something was wrong - he wouldn't settle, wouldn't eat hay, was digging his bed up & going round & round the box. But he was bright, peeing, pooing, eating chaff & walking round the barn brightly. In the end I called the vet for my peace of mind & put on his SI rug in case that was bothering him. Of course when the vet came this afternoon he'd settled right down! Her opinion was that he's not settling to box rest & is going to end up making himself ill if he carries on like this. So I've taped off a small area of long grass & with the help of some Sedalin & a couple of friends he'll go out for half an hour tomorrow. It's three & a half weeks since his op so a bit early (& a lot earlier than I'd planned) but I think he's taking the decision out of my hands & the vet agrees.

I really hope a little bit of turnout calms him down. At this rate I'm going to need sedatives far more than he does!