Jodhpurs or Breeches, which do you prefer?

mandwhy

Visit site
I think I like breeches as I like a full seat rather than knee patches but I like them full length, does that make them jodhpurs? I like a high waist or they fall down which is especially inelegant during an unplanned dismount :)

I get these really good thick ones off eBay for about 17 quid :)

EquiGal92

Visit site
Always had jodpurs but for a Xmas pressie this year I wanted denim jodpurs, couldnt find a style that I liked unless I brought breeches, yes they are a tad bit shorter around the ankle but I'm happy with either now :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Either breeches or jods with the ends cut off so they're like breeches. Wouldn't get normal jods on under my long boots. I like high waisted breeches best.

pinklilly

Visit site
Breeches, as I am short and hate the clumpy turn up on jodhs... Usually wear jeans but have tried to get out of this habit as they have a habit of tearing in the upper thigh area when inelegantly trying to mount from the ground.

MrsHutt

Visit site
Breeches for me - which is odd, as I have a long-ish leg and I like them to the ankle! But I have found a couple of makes (non too expensive either!) that fit me lovely! One sort for the summer and a thicker make for colder weather.

I have had a couple of pairs of jods in the past, which obviously had a shorter leg as they were fine rolled down.

My main problem is really skinny legs (and a relatively large tummy :rolleyes: ) which means I have to find them with 'skinny' legs!!

Ellen Durow

Visit site
I had a pony as a child, always wore jodhpurs because that's what all kids wore back then.

I've returned to riding as a mature "curvaceous" adult female, and have bought a load of jodhpurs, probably because that's what I know best and feel comfortable in. But I keep eyeing up breeches wondering whether to take the plunge and get some?

So come on, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both and which do you prefer?
It's a matter of taste really. If you ride in long boots or short boots and gaiters/half chaps then breeches are more comfortable (no turn-ups round the ankle to dig in). Jodhpurs, with their turn-ups, look best with jodhpur boots or other short yard boots. As for fit and suitability for the "Traditionally Built Lady", there isn't much to choose between Jodhs and "britches".

I secretly grieve for the passing of the old-fashioned wide-thighed jodhs and breeches of my youth. I would have found them so much more comfortable, now that I'm a "TBL", than forcing my capacious behind and thighs into lycra-assisted sausage skins as well as being more flattering than the sausage skins. Only stick insects look good in lycra. (Grumpy old woman retires to contemplate photos of her slim and elegant young self :eek:)

madmav

Visit site
Breeches for me - which is odd, as I have a long-ish leg and I like them to the ankle! But I have found a couple of makes (non too expensive either!) that fit me lovely! One sort for the summer and a thicker make for colder weather.

I have had a couple of pairs of jods in the past, which obviously had a shorter leg as they were fine rolled down.

My main problem is really skinny legs (and a relatively large tummy :rolleyes: ) which means I have to find them with 'skinny' legs!!

Mrs Hutt, we are obviously body doubles and you absolutely have to name those makes as I am desperately in need of buying some new riding leg wear. Like you, am long and slim of leg, but a bit rubbish in the waist area. Please tell me a good brand to buy in breeches/jods/jeans/just about anything to cover lower limbs.

starryeyed

Visit site
Breeches!!
Though I got given some kerrits riding tights for xmas which I have been wearing non-stop, absolutely love them and can see myself hunting down some more...!

diamonddogs

Visit site
For every day, I prefer my £7 jeggings from Primark!

Same here, but jeggings just aren't as good quality as they were - more like heavy leggings - and they're much more expensive. I ended up buying some from Tesco, because I lived in Florence and Fred ones for about two years of almost every day wear which sadly they've fallen apart now, but they're nowhere near the quality of the old ones and I just can't get some nice ones. Most of them are thin and only come just past your hips, whereas I prefer waist high ones so I don't have to keep hitching them up all the time.

But to answer the question, I prefer breeches for posh wear, though the last few pairs of jods I've bought have been too long so I've chopped off the turnups.

Tilda

Visit site
Ok so I am obviously the only stupid one - what is the difference between the 2?! I always wear jodphurs but only because I don't really know what breeches are! (have only been riding for 30 years!)

TrasaM

Visit site
Ok so I am obviously the only stupid one - what is the difference between the 2?! I always wear jodphurs but only because I don't really know what breeches are! (have only been riding for 30 years!)

Jodhpurs are longer and have a turn up at the bottom whilst breeches usually come to above the ankle and will have a Velcro fastening.

TrasaM

Visit site
As far as I can see :) breeches can either be woven or jersey fabric with or without leatherette type seats whilst jodhpurs are generally made from stretchy jersey. I've bought only one pair of jodhpurs and had to chop the turn ups off as they were too bulky. I suppose that breeches have evolved from the loose thigh garments they had before fabric technology improved and we got stretchy fabric.