Jodpurs for tall skinny son?

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can recomend any jodpurs for my 8 year old sons with a super model figure??! ;)

Sadly it is not me he gets it from, but he is very tall and skinny, with bambi-esque legs that the rest of him hasn't grown into. His waist is just under 22" with an inside leg measurement (to the ankle) of 28". To give you a vague idea of what that looks like he is wearing age 11 school trousers with the inner elastic cord/ button contraption on the tightest setting, so the back all bunches up and makes him look like he is wearing a bussle. :(

I don't want to spend a fortune as he has only been riding since Easter, and whilst very enthusiastic now, children can change their minds, so cheap and cheerful, or second hand is good!

When i've been looking on ebay etc, it is showing 22" waist as the waist size on age 6 jods... they'd barely reach his knees!

If anyone knows where I can get cheap long leg length jodpurs I'd be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Littlelegs

Visit site
Snap, I have a 7 yr old girl to match! At least 3/4 of her height appears to be legs, & pants like your son, age 10 with waist yanked in, age 5 fits on waist. The ones with lots of lycra are the least baggy as on the average kid they stretch to fit, so only slightly loose. Have an older pair of harry halls that are a narrow fit, we got given them but new about 6 yrs ago. Robinsons cheapo ones have a lot of lycra & a drawstring waist. Did struggle for show ones though, ended up with harry hall ones with elastic sewn in to keep them up. And have resorted to braces for shows too. Everyday, she does still wear too short ones though with thick long socks.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My stepson is now 14, but when he was about 7/8 we bought Robinson's jods that were the best fit he ever had! They were elasticated and had long legs - think they were the requisite range. We are lucky that we live close enough to go to their main shop and try on!

It gets worse as they get older! He is now growing about a foot every three months, and growing out of everything in no time - I ought to post you all his old stuff shouldn't I, if you've got a mini following in his footsteps!

Lolo

Visit site
What the boys in our PC do is wear long (odd) socks over ones which fit round the waist, then boots and chaps for rallies/ comps... It's the cool thing to do you know (was informed this very seriously by an 11yo last summer- he was taller than me!!).

MrSpam

Visit site
My 14 yr old skinny boy is wearing Derby House ladies' breeches. They have a label 'ladies 24'. I bought them for £5 at a car boot sale - new, originally for my daughter size 8-10, 5' 11" but they are far too small. He doesn't care they are for ladies and they look really smart.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Wish ours had! I just gave up trying to clean them after a while - the stains were always on the inside of the leg anyway!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yes, but then you add to the problem by having to find long boots & chaps to fit! My little girl wanted long plastic boots like her friend, looks more like she's wearing exceptionally wide black wellies in them.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes, but then you add to the problem by having to find long boots & chaps to fit! My little girl wanted long plastic boots like her friend, looks more like she's wearing exceptionally wide black wellies in them.

Yes thats what my stepson looks like now he has to wear long boots. At 14 he can no longer get away with wearing girls clothes for riding either, his shape and 14 year old girl's are a bit different. I put a thread on this week about how I'm struggling to find a jacket for him!

OP, sorry I'm taking this off topic. I'm about to go away for a week, but if you pm me a reminder for when I get back, I will have a root and see if we have any of his jods from when he was 7/8 that I could send to you. I've a feeling we finally binned a load last year, but will gladly have a look..

Littlelegs

Visit site
I still have that problem with jackets now. I get ones that fit length ways, then find a local seamstress or alterations place. Local sewing shop recommended a nice lady who does good but reasonably priced alterations.

Lolo

Visit site
For older boys, has anyone tried the Mark Todd stuff?

And for chaps, Al used Loveson ones when she was tiny small- she was leggy and stick thin, and they fitted her well...

Kat

Visit site
Dobbies jodhs sorted me out with decent fitting jodhs back when I was a skinny teen and they are still doing reasonably priced made to measure. Would br good for smart jodhs and not too expensive. For everyday my nephew has decathlon or harry hall. The decathlon ones are a bit baggy but ok and very stretchy, the harry hall ones were gorgeous but a very odd fit. Long, tight on the calf, loose on the thigh.....

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your advice, I'm off to google all the suggestions now.

Honey08 that is very kind of you, thank you. I will pm you next week.

Thank you all again.