John Whitaker

classiclady

Visit site
John Whitaker is just fantastic. I remember watching him when I was younger on the great Milton and I still get that adrenalin rush watching him jump now and congratulations on his fifth place.

KarenX

Visit site
Absolutely and isnt Peppermill amazing too? What a brilliant partnership. So pleased he has a really top horse again now.

Karen
smile.gif

KarenX

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the whole Whitaker family are fab. What other sport can boast that a whole extended family compeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

How amazing.. there was 3 of them on the European team this year. (Ellen, Michael and John). They must be very proud.

mizzhonesty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely and isnt Peppermill amazing too? What a brilliant partnership. So pleased he has a really top horse again now.

Karen
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] especially after last year when john went to steady him and he came to a complete standstill

Acolyte

Visit site
Glad that others think so too - I have been watching him jump (on and off) since Ryans Son and I think he is absolutely the best horseman I have ever seen
smile.gif
Saw him for real at the Royal Show once warming up - talk about poetry in motion and all those other cliches
laugh.gif

Shantor1

Visit site
There are only 2 top class showjumpers of all time in my book that I'd want to ride a horse of mine and thats John Whittaker along with the late great Caroline Bradley. Caroline Bradley had 2 great showjumpers in Marius (working stallion) and Tigre and she started Milton who later became John's Whittaker's top horse of the mid 1980s to his retirement in 1992.

I rate them both as 2 legends and world class as both brought a lot of success to the British teams, along with David Broome and Harvey Smith.

dianchi

Visit site
Have to say i was super lucky last year as we vetted Peppermill i got to ride him for the vetting! Woohoo a claim to a famous ride!

georgiegirl2

Visit site
John whitaker is lovely! About 12 years ago (i think i was about 9 - cant remember what year we went) we went to watch the hickstead derby. Mum said she was horrified to suddenly see me stood on top the derby bank with john whitaker
smirk.gif
I'd seen him walking the course just past where we were stood watching and bobbed under the fence. I remember saying to him can i walk with you? and he said something along the lines of 'aye lass, lets be having you then' and so we went. Standing on top of that derby bank is a memory i will have for a long time! On tv it looks bloody steep, standing on top it looks vertical!

Peppermill is a fabulous horse. As much as the others had 'springs' when jumping, his tecnique left us gobsmacked when watching the tv!

k1963

Visit site
He is my all time favourite rider . All horses seem to go well for him & he's had many different ' types' over the years .

His style is so quiet & he hardly seems to move in the saddle , but a few times I've seen him ' lift' a horse over a fence ( if you see what I mean ! )
grin.gif

Loved Milton , Ryans Son , Everest Welham, Hopscotch to name but a few . Peppermill looks to be an exciting prospect .

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the whole Whitaker family are fab. What other sport can boast that a whole extended family compete.

[/ QUOTE ]

How amazing.. there was 3 of them on the European team this year. (Ellen, Michael and John). They must be very proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that! too bad Robert wasn't on the team as well!! I suppose it might happen one time that Team GB will be Team Whitaker
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There are only 2 top class showjumpers of all time in my book that I'd want to ride a horse of mine and thats John Whittaker along with the late great Caroline Bradley. Caroline Bradley had 2 great showjumpers in Marius (working stallion) and Tigre

[/ QUOTE ]

Caroline Bradley was my hero when I was a kid and I wanted a grey horse so I could be like her and Tigre
blush.gif

Wasn't Marius Milton's sire?

browbrow

Visit site
My fav was Welham - winning hickstead at 18! Crazy!!!

I love the whole family - bloody good riders and from YORKSHIRE!!

Love it!!!

I was watching the quainton stud speed derby the other day on telly and the Whitakers who competed really stood out - not like the rest of them hauling their horses round and crashing about in the saddles - half of which didnt look like they fit and had been padded out with 2 million sheepskin numnahs!

CharCharSlide

www.clarendonstud.com
Will is definately gonna be the best, obviously not taking anything away from the others coz there all amazing. However Will has only just turned 18 and has already acheived so much and he too is amazing to watch ride. HOYS should be good as half the British 10 consists of Whitakers! Will, John, Rob, Micheal and Ellen.

stacyh

Visit site
john whitaker is the best showjumping horseman ever, he is able to get on any horse and make it look easy.
Peppermill is the best jumping stallion in the world at the moment, he is a amazing power jumper with so much scope he and john will go all the way!
When they do start breeding from him, i think he will produce, amazing foals.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt think that Michael or John will attend HOYS. The Global Champions Tour is at the same time for lots more prizemoney!

[/ QUOTE ]

None of John, Michael, Nick Skelton or Robert Smith is going to HOYS. The HOYS GP carries a first prize of £7500 and the whole of HOYS just £100k in prize money...whereas one class in Athens carries a first prize of £68k. Who can blame them !?