Joint ill - any experiences

widget

Visit site
Well all was going well with our foal he was two weeks old when he came in from field slightly lame. Ground was very wet and thought maybe he had slipped and pulled something. Next morning he was hopping lame so vet called. Vet suspected joint ill in elbow. As slight swelling and temperature up. Gave ab's and painrelief. The next day he was almost completely sound but vet thinks might just be due to pain relief. Foal is very bright in self and feeding well.

Advised to continue ab's and see how he is later. Anyone been through this? Experiences/outcomes? What treatment they had? And the dreaded question of cost. I don't want to sound mercenary but he isn't insured due to age and whilst I want o give him everychance I don't have bottomless pockets.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Clava

Visit site
A very long time ago we had a foal who nearly died of joint ill, he had to be hand fed, but he survived and grew up to be a very striking chap. Sorry I can't help with the medical side as my mother dealt with that side and it was too long ago to remember, I helped with the feeding of him as he couldn't stand.

domane

Visit site
Oh goodness, I'm sorry to read this! :( Mine's 15 days now and I thought we had sailed past the potential joint ill phase! I thought that particular danger was around day 4 or 5 and I also thought it affected more than one joint*. I really hope it doesn't escalate for you, Widget.... such a worry!

I don't think you can get insurance for foals under 30 days anyway, other than death or theft.

*I'm off to educate myself more about joint ill now....

widget

Visit site
Thanks Clara and Domane. Well he is bouncing round the stable so I'm trying to see that as a positive. Apparently joint ill can strike up to four weeks. All good vibes and best wishes appreciated, it's heartbreaking having a poorly foal : ' (

CBFan

Visit site
No Experience of joint ill but it sounds like your lad is making a speedy recovery, which shows you caught it very early which is so important in treating anything with foals. The sooner you catch it, the less costly it will be. Don't try cutting corners to save money as it will cost you in the long run ;)

Purple Duck

Visit site
I hate to reply to this but friend used to breed ponies,

A foal years ago was diagnosed with joint-ill, she lived to be 9 months old

I REALLY hope all works out well for you

xXx

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We have had three, two sadly couldn't be got under control and the infection spread, the other was William who survived.
There seems no reason why some foals get it, all of ours had their umbilical stumps treated at birth, but all three were from the same dam which may have something to do with it. We have them IGG tested now to check they have received enough antibodies, but nothing has shown..
I hope your foal gets over it, it looks promising if he's better today.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've had two - both foals that came with visiting mares immediately after foaling. Both made a full recovery - the important thing is to keep on with the antibiotics for at LEAST 2 weeks. With the first one, we stopped after a 5 day course when foal seemed fine - and had to start again very quickly!!

widget

Visit site
It sounds like there are mixed outcomes. Well he hasn't had pain relief since 11am Monday and this morning was only very slightly lame. I'm hoping this is a good sign that either it isn't joint ill or that the ab's are working. He's got them till Friday but will ring vet Friday if still same and see what next stage is. He's still bouncing around the stable and eating well, he 'helped' me Muck out earlier including pawing at wheelbarrow so is bright in himself too. I'm hoping this is all good so far, the worry is awful though everytime I go to stable I dread seeing him on three legs again. Thanks everyone for your replies xx

eventrider23

Visit site
would your vet not be able to run bloods on him near the end of his course? That way the bloods can show if any infection/inflammation in his bloodstream and know whether he needs to continue on the AB's for longer....

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
would your vet not be able to run bloods on him near the end of his course? That way the bloods can show if any infection/inflammation in his bloodstream and know whether he needs to continue on the AB's for longer....

It's certainly an idea BUT - the drawback is these things are not 'exact'. Towards the end of his course, he may well show very close to normal results on the markers that suggest infection/inflammation - but it only takes one little bug hiding in a hard to get at part of the joint and the infection can flare up again 3-4 days after ABs finish. I'd be safe rather than sorry. My vet also prescribes anti-ulcer meds for foals requiring injections - stress from daily jabs CAN be a problem - foals are very susceptible.

widget

Visit site
Hi Janet my vet hasn't prescribed the anti ulcer meds, what should I ask for and what are the signs of stress?