Joint Injections for dogs

roxy007

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with having their dog's joints (elbows mainly) injected for arthritis, similar to joint injections for horses. I have heard this is available and the results have been good but my own vet told me it is just for horses. Well.........not according to what I have found on google...lol

I also read that most vets prefer to keep dogs with arthritis on regular medication via themselves for obvious reasons. Although I can see the reasoning behind this I am not so sure that is the case and would appreciate any advice on this from anyone that is familiar with it or has actually had the injections done for their dog.

Many thanks

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
My lurcher was injected with cartrophen when he became stiff and unlevel on his back legs - it wasnt the same as an equine joint injection as it was an ordinary injection not one straight into the joint, but the effect was the same? It did him a lot of good, but the injections dont work for every dog

Ravenwood

Visit site
Exactly as above! Toby used to have cartrophen injections (in his neck) and they did help tremendously to start with. Now however he is just on Naf Superflex and Cod liver oil and the results are just as good.

But obviously, as already said (again!) each dog is different.