Joint problems

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I need to explain the background to this so bear with me.
blush.gif
crazy.gif

He is 14, 15.3hh, gelding, Suffolk Punch x Cob and spent 3-5 years at a riding school. He has been used as a weight carier with people bouncing around on him for upto 3 hours a day. He went constently lame on and off as soon as the saddle was put on him, he also suffered from clicky hocks and depression. He was nerve blocked followed by 3 months box rest but this showed nothing. and always on either glucosomine or cortaflex.

I then bought him, moved him and took him off drugs. He used to be kept in the majority of the time due to poor fields. He now lives out all of the time, rain or shine and has done for a year now. He is happy, relaxed and is enjoying life. He does Riding for the disabled during the week which is good for him considering his temperament. This is walking on tarmac and is only approx 1 hour 4 days a week. He then gets ridden in the winter only at weekends by me for a good gallop which he loves and is normally his choice what speed we go !! Summer he gets schooled during the week aswell. Yard skool has no lights.

The problem is that he has very clicky hocks and is always very stiff when first ridden, takes him about 20 mins to warm up which I always allow. He has not been lame since moving yard.

Would you put him on glucosomine for the clicking ?

Thanks you if you got to the end, and thanks for the advice in advance
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Below is picture to show him in full

full.jpg

P4050002.jpg

fjudge

Visit site
My horse has clicky joints and i use something called HA flex. It is by feedmark. It can stop clicking totally...i reccomend it!
smile.gif

tiggie

Visit site
no help with the joint problems but your horse is gorgeous,I come from suffolk originally and love suffolk punches.
Hope his joints improve

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would definately put him on a joint suppliment, get the weight off him - and definately NOT gallop him when only ridden once a week.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I do reccommend glucosamine, its very good for joints. My mare is on it, and it really helps. Gorgeous horse by the way, but perhaps some more light hacking? I would keep to regular and simple rather than just gallop and then nothing as tempting as it is!! It will help strengthen him up a bit more.

aran

community.webshots.com
has he ever had a hock xray? It may be useful to find out if there is anything actually wrong with them?

I'd put him on linseed or cod liver oil and a joint supplement (one with a high concentration of HA, chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine - in combination they are better).

ladylisa

Visit site
I have just put my mare on glucosomine as she didnt have full flex in her near fore when i had the back man out to do an mot on her and she is living out 24/7 and just looked a little stiff, so i hope it works, i have heard alot of good comments about it.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
he is fit. and is hacked out once during the week aswell. By the volunteers. Trying to hold him back when he wants go faster is not an option. We do not skool because he hates it. He hangs on the bit, and is very slow and unwilling. He lives out 24/7

Wobniab

Visit site
B is 25 and has cod liver oil as he is a little stiff in his hind legs. But I havent noticed any stiffness since he's been on it. (he also gets a veteran mix, which has added vits and mins and glucosomine in it) And he is ridden at least ever other day, never with two days off in a row as he stays more supple the more often he is excersised.

Your horse is a beauty!

Parkranger

Visit site
I use Equiflex and linseed oil - my boys had a few nasty injuries in the past and used to get quite stiff - his movement has improved no end.....and touch wood hasn't been lame since he's been on them