Joint supplement for old dog

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, you may remember that in 2014 we picked up little Hector from the side of the road, near death. Vet reckoned he was around 7 years old. He has become cherished, beyond belief.

Hector is sometimes ill, shaking, in pain, not interested in the world. Today was one of those days. I had him to the vet, she ran bloods etc and concluded that his joints have caught up with him.

He has Metacam, and the vet thinks he may need it permanently. I am happy to have it to get him back on his feet, but would prefer him to try a supplement before making the drugs permanent.

I am exhausted from the day at the vets and the worry, especially after selling my mare yesterday, because mum is ill. BTW, my car broke yesterday too! I feel like I need a break!!!

What have people found good for old dogs' joints please?

{97702}

Visit site
I’d second Yumove, I’ve just started Ace on it for his arthritis having had good results with other dogs I’ve owned. He is also having cold laser treatment, if that doesn’t work then we will consider canine massage, hydrotherapy etc.

I’d also second Sandstone’s comment about a pain free shorter life being better than a longer painful one

Red-1

Visit site
Thank you all, I just ordered the Yumove bites.

The last time he was like this was an ear infection. It is his reaction to pain. I suspected it was joints today as yesterday I took him for a short walk to clear my head from all the other stuff. Hector is often stiff after a lead walk, he prefers to exercise himself loose on the fields. It is weird, as he will run round like an idiot when free to no ill effects, but a short lead walk seems to harm him. I have tried collar, harness and halti, they all seem to bother him. He must move differently than scampering to when he is formally walked.

I have nothing against him having Metacam permanently if that is what he needs, it just seems a bg step from no assistance to full drugs, without trying something else one this flare up is sorted.

Chiffy

Visit site
I like Riaflex. We have an old lurcher on Canine Joint Plus and Green Lipped Mussel. Tiny amounts sprinkled on food. It has changed her enormously, has had much more effect than metacam.

meleeka

Visit site
My old dog had Onsior for her joints. Yumove made a massive difference (I think you can still get the ‘advanced’ one that has higher levels of ingredients.
There’s lots that can be done for joint pain. My dog had Codene daily, prescribed by the vet but I got a prescription and took to my local chemist. It was only around £8 per month. if yours is on lifelong medication it might be worth you asking about prescriptions. An Onsior tablet from my vet was £1.70 but I could buy online for 70p so a huge saving! (Prescription was £15 but still worked out a lot cheaper).

Red-1

Visit site
Lots of potions, thank you.

He will be on the Metacam until the Yumove comes, then wean off one and onto the other. See how he is with that.

He is quiet today, but not shaking.

Odyssey

Visit site
I found Yumove helped my dog, along with devil's claw from CSJ, and a Magno Mutts magnetic collar. I think a combination can be more helpful than using just one thing. I'm using CBD oil from Simply CBD myself, which is helping me. It's very affordable too, unlike many CBD oils. Some people have had good results using their products for arthritic dogs. There's a Simply CBD Users Support group on Facebook, which is very helpful. Turmeric is supposed to be one of the best things for arthritis, it's a potent anti inflammatory. Their Liquid Gold oil contains turmeric, I also take turmeric tablets from Nature's Best mail order company, which are excellent quality.

danda

Visit site
My old dog’s osteopath has advised me to try green lipped mussel powder’ have ordered some but not yet started it so cannot tell yet if it will really help. He has been having Youmove but did not see much difference but probably it helped a bit.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think for dogs that are being medicated for joint pain you’d be looking at Yumove Advance (which I believe is only available via your vets).

My almost seven year old dog has Yumove daily as a support for her joints, as she does so much walking and I want to protect her.

Red-1

Visit site
I think for dogs that are being medicated for joint pain you’d be looking at Yumove Advance (which I believe is only available via your vets).

My almost seven year old dog has Yumove daily as a support for her joints, as she does so much walking and I want to protect her.

He never has been medicated for joint pain before. He has had these symptoms before, once for pancreatitis, a couple of times for ear pain. We are presuming joint pain this time as we had an absence of obvious cause for the pain. We did bloods to test for infection as I didn't want to leave a hidden infection raging whilst covering it with pain killer. Palpating his stomach was not painful. He had his ears examined and swabbed. He had his backside emptied. He was thoroughly examined, but no cause for the pain was found. His liver function was slightly down. His kidneys not perfect. His digestion normal. Apatite good. Wee normal. White blood cells showed a little low, but the correct proportions of the different types of white blood cells. The vet thought his bloods were to be expected for an old dog.

He is possibly 13 years old, and does have some difficulty in jumping on the bed these days (I know - how soft are we?). So, once the symptoms have abated, a joint supplement seems a sensible course of action.

Today he has been very quiet and subdued. We kept him cuddled and warm. Only come around 6pm did he brighten up. He even wanted a little play, which was amazingly uplifting to us all! We are planning another quiet day tomorrow, he can stay on the Metacam until he is his normal self, then feed in the YuMove.

The joint thing is because of a lack of any other real reason for pain. He doesn't handle cold well, we wondered if he had got a bit cold at night, so he is now in a warm rug. Mid winter he needs 2 rugs, despite sleeping on the bed.

It is not easy to know what the matter was, as he was actually 'sound' even though obviously is severe pain. No heat/swelling/bumps. Everything could be palpated.

He had a thorough examination, plus lots of love. He doesn't do bad for a tiny stray dog!

Last edited:

wren123

Visit site
My dog is on yumove advance 360, its excellent. Metacam is ineffectual for her. Twice I've taken her off it and after about 5 days she starts to stiffen up up in the morning, back on the yumove the stiffness goes after a few days. She has had xrays so we know the problem, I keep her slim and consistently exercised.
My vet says laser therapy works well for some dogs to ease inflammation. We've not used it as not needed it at the moment, but something you could try, it's not expensive.

Red-1

Visit site
He’s a very lucky boy Red xxx

I didn't feel lucky when we found him, he had likely been tied outside, wasn't house trained, was scared of everything, was so skinny he was near death. He cost £1,400 in vets bills :eek:

But now, I feel like we are the lucky ones, 10X over. Heck is amazing.

In 2015 I bashed my head, got concussion, ripped my eyebrow open. He has never forgotten, was VERY concerned about my health at the time and, ever since, regularly checks my eyebrow. Yesterday, when he was at his worst, he asked to lie on my chest and snuggle. He was shaking and suffering, but still, he had to check my eyebrow. Always makes sure I am OK.

Heck is independent, but shares his personality with us. I feel for him at the moment, we have re-inherited mum's dog that we rehomed when she became too ill to have a dog. We now have Hector and Crackers, they are both lovely, but maybe Hekkie would have preferred to stay an only dog.

windand rain

Visit site
Willow has petlab joint supplement I wont say it has taken her from being a wheelchair dog to a bouncing puppy as per the ads but she is running about playing ball and chasing the kids again so has made a huge difference think it is a mix of turmeric, greenlip mussels and boswelia though not sure of the ingredients. It has made a big difference as she was like a laminitic pony before very pottery

buddylove

Visit site
His Lordship Buddylove has Riaflex, which has done him wonders. He has also started Aktivait for his senior moments, which also seems to be helping him. He's 15 now and we will keep going with the supplements as long as he is happy. (The lab also has Riaflex more as a preventative measure).

Mynstrel

Visit site
Another vote for yumove, also our old girl had a back on track rug on overnight for the last few years which made a noticeable difference, with a back on track pad to sleep on in warmer weather.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my 14yr old collie cross has been on yumove advance for some time and it has helped her, she is now not quite so good and after having problems with inflacam i need to chat to my vet for any alternatives..