Joint supplement

4x4

Visit site
Hi all,
I am about to bring my 16 yr old cob mare back into work after a 2 year break, we wanted to let the spavin disappear or settle down. Anyway, jam abou to start long reining her, she is currently shoe less, and I was wondering if anyone has come across any good joint supplements or if there is anything new on the market?
She normally has turmeric and I was mixing up lots of things together but tbh it is a faff if you have to go away so a ready mixed one would be better.
Ideas/recommendations please!
Tks
4X4

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
Hi all,
I am about to bring my 16 yr old cob mare back into work after a 2 year break, we wanted to let the spavin disappear or settle down. Anyway, jam abou to start long reining her, she is currently shoe less, and I was wondering if anyone has come across any good joint supplements or if there is anything new on the market?
She normally has turmeric and I was mixing up lots of things together but tbh it is a faff if you have to go away so a ready mixed one would be better.
Ideas/recommendations please!
Tks
4X4

My horse is on Equine America MSM, Glucosamine, Chrondroitin and HA (all combined). Its about £20 and lasts approx. five weeks.

To be honest, if your horse has spavin a far more effective way of spending money would be to get the hock injected with steroid or ethanol or enquire with the vet about Tildren. Spavin won't disappear. There aren't many that fuse after rest and if it has 'settled down' and not fused it will only appear again with work as it becomes inflamed once again.

Tumeric is meant to be very effective but not sure how good this would be long term due to the slight risk of stomach ulcers.

Good tip - if you have to go away and use supplements in your food buy some large freezer bags and make up your feeds with the supplements in them - one bag for each feed. So much simpler for the YO who only has to open a bag and add water and/or carrots.

Pc2003

Visit site
My horse has spavins and I really swear by equimins flexi joint. I stopped feeding it one year and noticed a difference so put him straight back on it and seems to work well

applecart14

Visit site
Have you had injections?

Not sure if that question is directed at me but I did initially have the steroid injections into the joint. However over time this becomes less effective. My vet and I then opted to treat with Tildren. However after a couple of years it was evident this was no longer effective so I opted for fusion with ethanol (chemical arthrodesis). Here is a link: http://www.horseandrideruk.com/article.php?id=2414

Pc2003

Visit site
Have you had injections?

Again not sure who that was too but know my horse hasn't had the ethanol injections. He has had several failed attempts at steroid injections and tildren. He hasn't had any injections in the last 3 or 4 years

applecart14

Visit site
Meant to say my horse who is three years older than your mare, is pain free and in full work although I am careful with surfaces. He is still jumped and was jumping every week after the chemical fusion, but will now be SJ a maximum of once a month; we are talking up to 2ft9, instead of weekly now. Dressage we have done since the fusion to elementary level although not done any for 8 months. He's hacking and doing fun rides and enjoying his life, has a lovely canter in the field when turned out from time to time and is rolling and able to get up without problems.

He can be very stiff if he has stood in all day in the stable, this is evident when I first start to trot when he does a slight lurch type of thing for a couple of steps, but after half a lap of the school his stiffness has dissipated and he is fine and this is normal with any horse of his age. Vet said he was sound the other day when I trotted him up for her when she visited with skin infection on legs.

Turning away was never an option for me, in fact its probably the worse thing you can do for a horse with spavin as this type of horse has to be kept in a moderate amount of work. The amount and type of work required can only be determined by how well they cope with it at the time and this needs to be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that they are coping.

As with any arthritic horse you have to watch what surfaces you trot/canter on or even jump on. A joint supplement is a good idea but its only part of the solution. Remedial shoeing (mine is £75 every five weeks) may be necessary to help improve the action of the hind limbs and prevent the horse from placing his legs in a different way.

Sorry I know you only came on here to find out about joint supplements but I feel that this is information that can only help your mare and prolong her working life especially given the fact that you feel that 'rest' was an adequate solution for this type of problem; I know you were only doing what you thought best though. I hope you get it sorted x

Escada2004

Visit site
if you feel tumeric works there is a supplement pre made up and also includes aloe vera, ive just started using it on my mare with multiple problems and already is walking better after just 4 days but could be coincidence as the rain has softened the ground and its a front foot problem. If you want to have a look its called equi-liquid gold

4x4

Visit site
This horse would only be doing slow hacks, 2-3 times per week. She is not insured for vets fees, it sounds like an expensive procedure and not without risks but thanks for your reply!

Pc2003

Visit site
Aimed atPc2003

Okay so no he hasn't had any ops and apart from failed injections nothing else after that. I had my fill with vets and various failed attempts to keep him sound.
I appriciate applecarts points re turn away but every horse is different and my horse actually was turned away for 18 months after the failed injections as he had totally broken down with the spavins.
He is now barefoot, on flexi joint and been sound (hacking sound) for about 18 months.
I don't compete him and I am very careful about what I do and have learnt the various things that help and which don't

SEL

Visit site
I mix up supplements in baby food plastic containers - buy off Amazon. The yard then just have to tip the pot onto the feed and its all done.

Its also pretty good for making up 10 days at a time which is great if you're trying something new because then you can measure it all out and have 10 days of consistency to see if something is having any effect.

The ringbone horse is on turmeric and MSM which is 'ok' for him, but he struggled in the heat last week so had a double dose of bute. Might have a look at the Equimins supplements because I've been impressed by their stuff before.

cowgirl16

Visit site
My horse has slight arthritis in both hocks and I swear by Lintbells YUMOVE active joint ..... :) :) :)

http://www.lintbells.com/horse-health/joints-and-mobility/yumove-active-horse-joint

Going slightly off track here - but we've had our old Dobie on YuMove Dog for a few weeks now, and the improvement in her is amazing! Hubby and me have just started on iMove, which is the same stuff but for human beans. If the improvement in us is anything near what the dog has had we'll be thrilled! If I was contemplating a joint supplement for either of my neds - I'd certainly consider the Lintbells stuff.