joint supplements for arthritis

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I use equine answers premier flex HA £23 for 2 months worth - i feed mine tumeric too.
He is going brilliantly never stiff even after a night in the stable, touch wood he is sound to ride - we had the physio out last week and she even said that hes the 'best case' of arthritis she seen - trotted up really well.

He seems happy as larry most comfortable I've seen him! I did my research and Premier flex HA had nothing much 5* reviews and plenty of recommendations!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm a boswellia fan too, I am wholly unconvinced on the theory of the traditional glucosamine/chondrotin supplements.

Nasicus

Visit site
Probably no use, but my girl has been getting 'Elite Mobility Aid' by my vets since her osteoarthritis diagnosis. It's fiendishly expensive (around the £80 mark for 850g, but it's on the insurance for now so that's a problem for future me once the claim runs out!), but she only gets 15g a day maintenance dose.

Provides the following per 15g:
Chondroitin Sulphate 2,000mg
Glucosamine HCL 99% Pure 6,500mg
MSM 3,300mg
Hyaluronic Acid 100mg
Boswellia Serrata 3,100mg

Like I said, it comes from my vet, so I couldn't say if you could get similar from your vet, but it at least might give you an idea of what ingredients and levels of said ingredients to look out for in commercially available supplements.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I’ve got my pony on Global Herbs Alphabute and then started him 14 days ago on Maxavita Maxaflex.

He’s now like tigger on blue smarties!!

ossy

Visit site
I use boswellia serrata and I think it’s really helping I started off on alpha bute then realised I could get the pure boswellia serrata much cheaper, which is essentially the main active ingredient of alphabute.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I use equine answers premier flex HA £23 for 2 months worth - i feed mine tumeric too.
He is going brilliantly never stiff even after a night in the stable, touch wood he is sound to ride - we had the physio out last week and she even said that hes the 'best case' of arthritis she seen - trotted up really well.

He seems happy as larry most comfortable I've seen him! I did my research and Premier flex HA had nothing much 5* reviews and plenty of recommendations!

I agree, Premier Flex HA is really good, much better for my boy than the Cortaflex f he was on at previous yard. I'm also a turmeric fan as well, together they are keeping him lovely and sound.

Visit site
Micronised linseed worked for my mum's 28yo.
Couldn't catch the ******* for a week after he went on that.
He's on turmeric too but am unconvinced on that one though I did find a paper saying it has been found to reduce joint inflammation, which I will find for you.
Won't use anything with glucosamine as pony has PPID unfortunately.

Visit site
These for the turmeric so you can decide for yourself...they were actually carried out on rodent models of rheumatoid arthritis as opposed to osteo., though, which might make a difference - though the basic issue in RA is it's an autoimmune disease which causes joint swelling so the basic symptoms trying to be relieved (ie joint swelling) are the same.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/art.22180
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10753-010-9278-0
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/np050327j

These for the linseed (it's the omega 3 in it which reduces the inflammation in the joints):
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2002.10719248
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/art.1780370608

You can also use cod liver oil but our boy wouldn't eat it:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/art.1780380813 - this one is useful as bute is an NSAID

if i have got anything wrong of course polite correction is very much welcomed & encouraged.
I've heard good anecdotal evidence about glucosamine based stuff but as said above cannot use it in our Shetland due to the cushings.

Shady

Visit site
I use double strength (6% curcumin) organic turmeric and 15-20mg of Devils Claw ROOT(Hilton Herbs). Iv'e had the wettest winter since horse was diagnosed with hock arthritis and even stabled every night he has been fantastic and most importantly, not grumpy and in pain

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’ve tried riaflex, yumove, and supplease gold, but the best one I’ve found so far has been pharmaquin. It’s really helped my arthritic mare, I use it in combination with turmeric just as I did with all the others I’ve tried.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
4cyte. Prescription only and not cheap, but I saw a massive improvement when all the retail suppliments had stopped helping. Every vet I know with an older horse in work has put them on it.

C1airey

Visit site
We use Cortaflex. Everyone I know who has used it has found it useless, but for us it works. I think the reason there are so many joint supplements on the market is that there isn’t (yet) one miracle one which works on all horses. It’s a case of trial and error until you find that magic pot of super dust which does the trick!

minimex2

Visit site
most of the "combined pots" have all the same ingredients - just different levels of each and you need to give quite a lot to get the max daily quantity for it to do any good/work.

after spending in the region of £80 pm - I decided to source the individual ingredients (human grade) and do my own. My boy has 5 plus his vit/minerals. Bit of faffing - but I make up once a week in little pots and just put a pot in each feed. - so he now gets max of everything and costs me £20 pm ish.

Maz55

Visit site
most of the "combined pots" have all the same ingredients - just different levels of each and you need to give quite a lot to get the max daily quantity for it to do any good/work.

after spending in the region of £80 pm - I decided to source the individual ingredients (human grade) and do my own. My boy has 5 plus his vit/minerals. Bit of faffing - but I make up once a week in little pots and just put a pot in each feed. - so he now gets max of everything and costs me £20 pm ish.
Where do you get your ingredients from?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I buy it individually glucosamine HCL, powder form £22 per 1kg and MSM £12.99 per 1kg. Feed 2 teaspoons of each every day, looked into how much they need and that covers it. I buy it from online pharmacys.

I looked into it.. and one of these 'top' supplements recommended, once they declared the ingredients was 100% glucosamine HCL charged at £75 per 900g!