Joint supplements for dogs?

tractor

Visit site
My old lab (8 this time) is starting to suffer a bit with his joints. He seems to mainly "get cast" during the night, he whimpers a bit but is OK once he's up & has moved. He's struggling with the stairs, takes them one at a time now and he's also quite reluctant to jump into the car. He's absolutely fine on walks, and his stiffness doesn't seem to get better or worse if I vary his level of exercise.

Is there anything effective that I can give him just to keep him a bit more mobile? Evening primrose oil, cod liver oil, veg oil on his dinner have all been mentioned but none of my friends have actually used them....

Does anyone have any tried & tested remedies?

Ta muchly!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Green lipped mussel supplement from Simplysupplements online. It's the only thing that's made a difference to my HD spaniel.

millimoo

Visit site
My lab is on Sinoquin - glucosamine and condroitin tablet. She went in it as a precaution at 2 1/2 for her left elbow (she had an injury at 9 months) although she's showing early signs of arthritis at 4yrs of age.
What does the Green Lipped mussel supplement do, I've seen it mentioned before on this forum (sorry to
Hijack you post a little OP)

tractor

Visit site
no probs millimoo, I've not got a clue what it does either really!

I've googled it and it seems to have positive effects on arthritic joints - i read somewhere that it helps the body to recreate/mimic the production of synovial fluid in joints - therefore making them move freely again.

I'm sure someone else on here will be able to explain that much better....:)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
cinammontoast, do you mean this one?

http://www.simplysupplements.net/product/53/greenshell™-mussel-extract-powder-500mg/

If so, do you just dose as for a human?

Thank you!

Yes, although my boy gets two a day as you can't overdose and he's young and I want it to have a real effect.

no probs millimoo, I've not got a clue what it does either really!

I've googled it and it seems to have positive effects on arthritic joints - i read somewhere that it helps the body to recreate/mimic the production of synovial fluid in joints - therefore making them move freely again.

I'm sure someone else on here will be able to explain that much better....:)

You explained very well! Cheaper than cartrophen injections which are meant to do the same.

Add salmon oil (look at Hyperdrug for that but they're not the cheapest) or tinned fish that isn't in brine or tomato sauce for added lubricating effect.

millimoo

Visit site
Thanks cinnamontoast & Tractor - think I will look at the salmon oil & green lipped muscle for my Girly ... As long as it doesn't make her smell fishy :D :D :D

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Supplements as mentioned above are well worth a try! You can also get Cortaflex for canines but I don't know of anyone who's used it.

My Golden Retriever (10 and a half years young!) has severe hip dysplasia and no supplements worked unfortunately - hoping your lad won't get to this stage but if so, I can thoroughly recommend Seraquin (tabs from the vet) and Cartrophen injections - gave our girl an amazing new lease of life!
K x

tractor

Visit site
Just in case anyone's considering buying anything from simplysupplements, they've got buy one get one free on everything at the mo, plus free delivery.

I've just ordered some green lipped mussel stuff for Purdey, fingers crossed that gets him back on track.