Joint supplement's for older dogs?

Archina

Visit site
Hi Guys

Ive got a couple of older dogs, my retriever bitch who is 9yrs old and my great dane bitch who is 7yrs old. Ive noticed this winter they are getting a bit slower at getting up and generally a bit stiff all over. My great dane Gemma is also groaning a lot when she settles down. Ive always fed cold liver oil capsules with their dinner but I dont think thats enough anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for joint supplements?

Many thanks in advance! :)

fizzer

Visit site
I have recently been using vetvits joint tablets on my 15yr collie x. Have really noticed a difference to the extent of her running around again with the others.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've had old dogs that I've given pills with green-lipped mussel ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green-lipped_mussel ) and pills with glucosamine ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine ), but since it was some years ago by now I don't remember the pills exact names.

Both pills helped to some extent, and I definitely recommend that you give them a try, but the really big difference came after I had added acupuncture (done by veterinarian) and regular stretching (learned to do myself), after that, people began believing that they were several years younger than they were.

For example, I still remember a time many years ago when I was with my then around 12 years old Smooth Collie at the veterinarian for a vaccination or something similar, there was a new nurse at the clinic and I don't remember how the subject about my Collies age came up, but it did and this nurse simply wouldn't believe that my bitch was around 12 years old (I believe she thought my bitch must be 6 - 8 years), without the veterinarian had to look it up on their computer system, that she really was born in 1993 (as I'd said), before the nurse believed us.
All that fuss, because my Collie didn't show any sign of being an old dog when moving, getting up from laying waiting on the waiting room floor etc.

Hope you find something that works for you and your dogs.

:D

Bearsmum

Visit site
Another vote for Vetvits joint supplement, our friends swore by it for their elderly border collie and recommended it to us for our cocker, she's ten next month, has been on them for about two years and shows no sign of slowing down!!

JD

TJP

Visit site
We have our girl on Vetzyme conditioning tablets and Vitapet double strength joint formula. The difference in her is unbelievable. She gone from a stiff old lady to galloping about and playing up the fields again. We noticed a big difference within 2 weeks of starting her on them.