Joint supplements on a budget??

Tempi

Visit site
I guess I am probably wanting the impossible, however im after a joint supplement for an 18yr old mare but on a budget! She has clicking/slightly arthritic hocks and does get stiff easily. She is currrently living out but will be out for 10hrs a day from 8th October and in at night, I have NEW magnetic boots for her hinds which she wears when stabled.

She had a foal in May and they have just been weaned, so shes going to be coming back into work shortly. She will do some dressage (is schooled up to medium level) and hacking out (no jumping as she never has liked it!) and she is going out on loan/share eventually once I have got her back in work and fit again.

So can anyone suggest anything? I am on a tight budget due to having 3 horses, but will obviously get what is best for her. She has in the past had Global Herbs MoveFree Plus which worked well, and also GH Alphabute. Im tempted to but her back on the Alphabute as she did really well on it before, it is however expensive and wonder if there were any cheaper alternatives?

Escada2004

Visit site
Ive used Aviform Suppleze Gold and NAF Superflex on my mare with Hock arthritis however neither have really made much difference. So ive just been sent a trial of maxaflex from www.maxavita.com its £29.85 for 30 days supply od £79.85 for 90 days supply so not the cheapest but if it works thats worth more to me than money (im far from rich ha ha) so i will keep you posted on if it works or not. There are so many out there and i guess its like anything some work on some and not others so might be a bit of trial and error but you also have to give it enough time to start working before deciding it doesnt

splash30

Visit site
I just go to www.naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk they have supplements without all the advertising costs being added to the price and no ''fillers'' and work out cost effective and they give fab advice and will make you up a specific mix just for you if you want.

disclaimer: I don't have any vested interest in the company just a happy customer :)

cob&onion

Visit site
I just go to www.naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk they have supplements without all the advertising costs being added to the price and no ''fillers'' and work out cost effective and they give fab advice and will make you up a specific mix just for you if you want.

disclaimer: I don't have any vested interest in the company just a happy customer :)

I second this ^^^

I always use these guys, you get a lot for your money :)

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you both - agree re the trial and error - i know the Global Herbs works for her but like i said it is quite expensive and if i can find something that works equally well then I will go with that.

I meant to add that she will be on Simple Systems Total Eclipse aswell alongside a joint supplement. Shes never lame either, am just conscious that shes a bit older and stiff and want to keep her as supple and mobile as possible.

livvyc_ria

Visit site
I use Vetvits on a 25yr old 12.2hh. He used to be sore, clicky and very stiff when he came out the stable in the morning.

He's been on the supplement for just under 2 weeks and has actually started bucking in the field again. He barges out of his stable in the morning (there's no holding him) and off he goes.

Im going to put my eventer on it aswell. Its so cheap and cannot believe how quickly it has helped my old boy.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
You could always try ordinary things like linseed (powder or lozenges) black sunflower seeds and brewers yeast, even normal sunflower oil; they could all help and won't cost a fortune and can be used for your others too if you like the results.

Tempi

Visit site
livvyc_ria - Thank you for that, its nice to read positive reports about things.

Maesfen - My 3yr old has Simple Systems Total Eclipse which has linseed, pure oceon seaweed and brewers yeast in it and I was planning on giving her some of that daily too.

All the yard horses get sunflower oil in their feeds daily anyway.

Maybe i should just try her on the Total Eclipse first before buying an additional joint supplement.

applestroodle

Visit site
Im going to watch with interest on this thread as i have just started bringing my old retired eventer back into work after two years off, he was retired due to arthritis. I realise i cant stop this or make better but would like to help keep him sound and would love to do a little bit of ridden work with him again. Joint supplements are a mind field, i purchased some Naf devils relief to start with as had devild claw in it and msm, i dont want to spend a huge amount as i am not convinced supplements work. Can i ask Temi what magnetic boots you use? I already have a Armadillo rug which i use but i am looking at some magnetic over reach boots to use on him. Please keep us updated Tempi, another quick question do you have a fitness plan for your mare, pm if you would prefer, Thank you!! :D

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have come to the conclusion that the good ones cost money. I am like you and shop on a budget so normally buy whatever is on special offer and for the times inbetween just load them up on Equine America Glucosamine and MSM for £15.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Hi i give mine cod liver oil capsules, glucosamine and msm tablets... Apparently ok, just adjust human doses :) recommended to me by ri who owns feed shop... x

rubysmum

Visit site
tumeric - i have spent afortune on joint supplements for the giant one over the yrs - with variabl results - now give a heaped scoop of tumeric - she is no stiffer than when on far more expensive supplements:)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Kentucky joint supplement.
My polocrosse mare has arthritis in both hocks and she's been run on this all season and has stayed perfectly sound playing all but 1 tournament! (plus cantering around a field 6 days a week for 22 minutes at a time for the last 5 1/2 months....hard work!!!) This being a mare who has broken down twice in the last 4 years and had to be off for months, not with me I'll add.
Made by Equine America, contains much the same as cortaflex but 20 quid for about a months supply and IMO has worked much better!

HayleyUK

Visit site
I've used vets vits, and didnt rate it - sorry!

Pony is 18, arthritic hocks that have been medicated and stiffens up sometimes - also use magnetic boots so similar to Bloss.

I'm currently using EA glucosamine & MSM which works really well, have used NAF superflex and the Codlivene stuff as well with results.

Vet seems happy with Superflex and the EA product as well.

Bon-Bon

New User
Visit site
I use Aviform Supleaze gold and have done for 3 years, and the difference in my mares hocks and fetlocks is apparent and great. Her physio has changed her horses to Aviform because the difference was so great. I also have a 23yo on it who was due to be retired because of arthritis and he's going like a 5 yo.
BB
x

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You could always try ordinary things like linseed (powder or lozenges) black sunflower seeds and brewers yeast, even normal sunflower oil; they could all help and won't cost a fortune and can be used for your others too if you like the results.

^^ this ^^

I feed whole, ground microionised linseed to my horse with spavins and his hocks have never looked so good. It has the correct ratio of Omega 3 to O6 so it's like the horsey equivalent of cod liver oil for a person.

I tried SS Total Eclipse but wasn't that impressed with it so I now feed the ingredients straight (buy them from Charnwood Milling and it's far cheaper than the prepared supplement). I only feed seaweed every other day and because my horse is a v good doer, I can decrease the amount of linseed he gets (if I need to) without affecting how much BY he has.

Agree with LEC, I think good joint supplements cost money. I feed Joint FX http://www.fortius-uk.co.uk/pages/jointfx_science.html
which also includes all of the herbal remedies, though I don't know how much of each:

It includes Green Papaya Leaf extract, Cayenne Pepper, Boswellin, Devil’s Claw, Curcumin, White Willow Bark extract, Turmeric Root extract and Yucca Root extract.

V expensive though!

georgiegirl

Visit site
our vets recommended us to use the goldlabel HA one which is very reasonably priced.. The ingredients are not all too dissimilar to synequin (or however its spelt) which as you know is £££££

jsr

Visit site
I'm becoming a broken record with this but Rosehips. I get mine from Feedmark so with offer on at the moment of £10 off if you spend over £40 you can get 132 days for £35 and I've found it works extreamly well.

Tempi

Visit site
As posted above i feed SS Total Eclipse to my 3yr old so will be putting my mare on it aswell but wanted a joint supplement to run along side it.

I did read that rosehips were meant to be good.

I should have put in my previous post that ive tried previously Cortaflex (no change although i take it myself and really rate it!), Pure MSM (didnt work), Devils Claw liquid which seemed to work a bit, Glucosamine and MSM which also had no effect.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I now use Cosequin Equine after I found that it is one of only of two joint supplements that the horse can actually absorb..........anything else and you might as well throw your money in the bin as the molecules are too big in anything else! So the supplement goes in one end and comes out the other.