Joint Supplements OR Cod Liver Oil- Desperate for Advice.

kateandluelue

Visit site
Hello
Im sure there are millions of threads like this! I have recently bought a horse and to cut a long story short he has a spavin, unknown when i bought the horse :( (ANOTHER STORY!) I have been advised to get him on a joint supplement by my vet but they did not advise one. I have had been looking for an evidence based one however there appears to be little research out there! From what i can gather, Newmarket Joint Supplement appears to have good reviews, as does Equine america Kentucky supplement. I am aware these are really expensive however thats ok if they work! I have also been advised by a friend to just get a cod liver oil instead and feed that long term. Any advice would be really great, I need a little light at the end of this tunnel! :)

soulfull

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. My choice would be vet vits. Seems to be as good as the best and a fraction of the cost. Also take a look at turmeric users group on fb. I'm not usually taken by fads but the evidence people are putting on about it is amazing

In your position I would feed both

Sheep

Visit site
I have my old boy on turmeric, he's going well on it though it might be the nice weather that is helping.. personally I wouldn't feed cod liver oil, I do feed linseed though, the balance of omega oils is correct for horses as far as I know.

EmmaB

Visit site
My horse is currently on codlivine, glucosamine and cod liver oil, he doesn't like the cod liver oil though so won't be buying anymore. I've ordered some turmeric so will try that with the oil and pepper, there are some great stories on the fb page and it's super cheap so worth a try!

If the turmeric works il prob take him off the codlivine, I'm not that sure it makes any difference tbh, but I'll keep on the glucosamine as I think it's been proven to help? Not sure though. But it isn't too expensive either.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I always use a Devil's Claw mixture....I don't like cods liver as it is animal based. I used Devil's claw on my dog and he went from waddling about to springing on to the sofa. So I changed the horse to it as well and he seems to being ok on it.

claribella

Visit site
I wouldn't use cod liver oil just cause its not natural feeding fish to a horse. If you want an oil then go with linseed. I also use turmeric with a mix of apple cider vinegar with the mother and Ive just put my mare on Gold label ultimate which has made a difference. Ive tried flexi joint which is very good but the Gold label is cheaper. Ive also heard brilliant things about aviform. I think its just a case of trial and error. I did a lot of research on this a while a go and it seems that what works for one horse doesn't for another so my advice would be try it and if it doesn't work by the time the tub is finished then try something else:) Sorry to hear about your horse:(

flirtygerty

Visit site
My 20 yr old mare was literally on her last summer last year, due to arthitis, vet suggested 5 Bute daily for a week, tried Tumeric instead and my mare is back happy hacking and jumping about like a 3yr old, I was so impressed, I also started using Tumeric for my arthritis, within a month, I was jumping round like a 3yr old, my OH was so impressed, he agreed to try it for his bad back, it does need to be fed daily, I give the horses a Tumeric and black pepper sarnie, the butter counts as the oil, brilliant stuff

Izzwizz

Visit site
I feed my mare Synequin, not cheap but definitely works in her case. She is 19 and started to stumble a bit, Vet thought it was probably a case of arthritis starting in her stifle. Anyway its worked wonders for her and the tripping has stopped, she feels so much more free in her way of going.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My horse has spavins and was crippled last winter. Started on 1/4 tab of Previcox daily and it was great, but also gave Cortaflex, linseed and Boswellia.
He no longer needs the Previcox as the supplements have given him a new lease of life. He's exercised daily and is more forward going and flexible than he's been in a long time.
Works for him anyway.