Joint supplements

wallyevent

Visit site
I am thinking of putting Wal on a joint supplement and was just wondering what people recommend? He has no specific joint problems but just want to protect his joints as much as poss.
What do you use, how much is it say, per month, and what does it contain out of these
Glucosamine
Chontroitin
MSM
Devil's Claw??

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Olympic is on Cortaflex. Bloody billiant stff and works out cheaper per month to use than mot other joint supplements
laugh.gif

I don't know what out of those it contains and I'm too lazy to walk down to the yard and look
tongue.gif

Pedantic

Visit site
I have used both, Cortaflex and Superflex, a feed sales lady who is also a nutrion expert who came to clip for me had a look at both tubs, read what was in them and said the Superflex was better and was better value, so I add one level scoop to his dinner and one in his breakfast, I just use it as a preventative joint supplement rather than to treat anything, if I cant get one I buy the other.

Happytohack

Visit site
Ella is on Feedmark's Extraflex HA (Glucosamine, Chondrotin, MSM & HA). She was diagnosed with arthritis of the coffin joint last April, had two joint injections and 6 months rest. Vet's prognosis was guarded, but I put her on this supplement straightaway and used magnetic fetlock wraps at night and she is sounder than ever. Very few joint supplements contain devils claw as well - most supplement manufacturers make a separate devils claw "buteless" supplement, but this one is pretty good.

mickey

Visit site
I've tried a few as my horse has a spavin which at one point was thought to limit him to hacking. He now does dressage, showing and some jumping.

Cortaflex powder - Didn't seem to do much although that was before HA was added I believe

Cortaflex liquid - On this for yrs, seemed better than the powder. (No HA then I don't think)

I'm sure I've tried others but I can't remember off the top of my head!

Anyway he's on Feedmark's Extraflex now which is fantastic. I've had him on it for yrs now. When he misses a few doses it definitely shows as his movement is stiff and short-striding. You can get it via mail order, they normally have special offers and it is next day delivery with good customer service. I believe the hyaluronic acid in particular has made a huge difference to him. I do have him on the optimum dose rather than the maintenance dose though.

PS Tried herbal things with devils claw, cider vinegar etc, didn't seem to do anything for him.

www.feedmark.com

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I use gold label glucosomine int he winter to help with H and his stiffness, works wonders.

he comes off it in the summer as he lives out and when the sun and warmer wheather is out he is fine !!

Parkranger

Visit site
For Ty I used Cortaflex HA to get him going for a month and then switched to equiflex as a maintainer - it's only £17 and lasts for about 2 months....

loobiloo

Visit site
Loo is quite stiff in her knees and clicks a fair bit - all I have ever used is Gold label MSM mainly because she is a pain when it comes to supplements - she seems to detect them from a mile and then refuses to eat
mad.gif
but it also has helped no end and is a fair bit cheaper than the other products on the market. When she needs more than just the MSM I'll change product but at the mo it works and so I stick with it
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I use NAF 5* Superflex on my mare who has tendon and cartilage problems in her foot. She's never moved better. I've also used Cortaflex on my old pony who had hock issues and it really improved her. I chose the Superflex this time though as it has glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM in and it's fairly cheap compared to some supplements. Gold Label Glucosamine Plus 5000 is meant to be good stuff.
I've just dug out all the research I did on joint supps and apparently the cheapest I looked at was the Gold Label, about 30p per day, and it has glucosamine and MSM in it. Superflex was next at 45p per day. Cortaflex next, 50p per day, hyaluronic acid (HA) and glucosamine in that one. Gold Label Glucosamine Ultimate was about 53p per day and it has HA, glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM in it. Feedmark ExtraFlex HA is 80p per day and has all that in too. Lastly Cortaflex HA had HA and glucosamine in for £1.75 per day. I didn't look at liquid supps though, or a lot of the other ones (those were the main ones I'd heard of). According to research it's doubtful whether chondroitin is acutally absorbed by the horse so I tend to advise people not to worry about that particular ingredient (I work in a tack shop and am frequently found around the supplements, helping people choose!). What we advise is that people start with a cheap one, especially if there isn't a specific issue they want addressed. In which case I'd suggest the cheaper Gold Label stuff.
smile.gif

shocked.gif
I wrote a lot! Can you tell I'm a procrastinating student?!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
synequin

[/ QUOTE ]

Synequin is recommended by most vets - and it is good - but 'orribly expensive. The one I use - Riaflex Complete - actually has a better spec. than Synequin and is less than half the price. After checking its spec., my vet now recommends it rather than Synequin.

It actually doesn't matter HOW expensive a joint supplement is - or what it costs a day. It's what your horse GETS for your money that counts. All the research that has been done suggests that Chondroitin and Glucosamine together work far better than Glucosamine on its own - and the research also suggests that if the horse isn't getting 10g Glucosamine, 10g of MSM, and 4g of Chondroitin a day then you're probably wasting your money. MOST supplements that contain Chondroitin contain considerably less than 4g - it's the expensive bit. If you're using a supplement than contains 3 or less g. in the daily dose then you need to change supplements: either go for one with the high level of Chondroitin - or don't bother with Chondroitin and use a straight Glucosamine/MSM supplement.

This is the one I use - http://www.riaflex-equine.co.uk/product_riaflex_complete.htm

They also do a 50/50 and a pure Glucosamine.

I've researched pretty much ALL the joint supplements and these are the only ones I've found that give a GOOD spec for a fair price!

ivenoidea

Visit site
Cosequin. We've used it for ten years on our arthritic cob and he can still charge around the field when he wants to. You don't need to get it from the vets these days so it's cheaper than it used to be.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have 3 on NAF Superflex. Brilliant stuff. So good that we're going to buy the human version for ourselves! It has Glucosamine, Chontroitin and MSM. Has done wonders for my 2 veteran ponies and sorted out my horses cold back (dont ask how).

Cortaflex did nothing when I used it in the past. I know people who love Extraflex too.

emma_lg

Visit site
I think it probably depends on the 'needs' of your horse..ie wear and tear, injury related.
I was recommended Newmarket Joint Supplement for my mare after she had treatment for arthritis in her hocks...both by vet and when she had to go to equine hospital they supported her being on it (she went for something unrelated - they had pots of it lined up so I wasnt the only one using it!).
There are so many options but I have stuck with this...as it was done in specific consultation with my vet who carried out her treatment at the time.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I have 3 on NAF Superflex. Brilliant stuff. So good that we're going to buy the human version for ourselves! It has Glucosamine, Chontroitin and MSM. Has done wonders for my 2 veteran ponies and sorted out my horses cold back (dont ask how).

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have helped - but imagine how much MORE good would have been done with a better spec.

NAF Superflex provides 8600mg Glucosamine HCl, 9220mg MSM, 2400mg l-Glutamine and 350mg Chontroitin Sulphate per 26g loading rate. That level of Chondroitin is useless - and the Glucosamine level is a little below the minimum recommended based on scientific research.

Lady_Bug

angelsonhorseback.co.uk
My boy is only 8 and probably doesn't really need anything but as he had a hard SJing career before coming to me I thought he may need a bit of help. Prevention is better than cure anyway.
He's on Equine America's Glucosamine supplement and it's brilliant. £13.99 a tub and has lasted about 3 months already and still got some left.