Joint Supplements

S_N

Visit site
I know this has been done to death, BUT, I would like to find a supplement that has the right levels of MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine in it. This is because was recently reading up on this subject and decided to change when I ran out of the pure Glucosamine that I currently use for B. I won't touch Cortaflex again, so please don't suggest that - It doesn't contain all 3 anyways! I'm not after improving joints, but maintenance. B needs it after her accident before I had her! There were posts about it (Puddicat was one of the people prominent in the discussions if I remember rightly) but I cannae find them
ooo.gif
I was considering Joint Aid from Growell feeds. So can anyone suggest anything please?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
PM aran, she researchs osteoarthritis in horses. I know that omega 3 oils have some scientific literature to show they have a positive effect on cartilage maintenance (found in codliver or linseed oil). Also the amount of the active ingredients varies hugely between companies and a recent research paper has shown that when tested not all the supplements contain the amounts they say they do
shocked.gif

Not sure about the evidence of MSM but personally I would use the one highest in chondroitin and glucosamine and that is cortaflex
crazy.gif
but not sure why you are reluctant to use it. I have Springy on omega 3 oils as she has a clicky stifle and so trying to use it as a preventative measure but only time will tell if it actually works!

Chex

Visit site
The only one I've found that has almost the right levels is Riaflex (I think), but a lot of companies don't have the ingredients on the website, so I'm not too sure.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Does NAF 5 STAR superflex not suit? I think that it is pretty good. Another one to consider, which you can only get straight from the vets, but is very very highly researched, but conseuqently incredibly expensive, is 'Cosequin'....if you google it it will give you all the blurb....it has no MSM but everything else at just the right level and particle size....

Chex

Visit site
I think that whatever website you read says their product is best and all the others are rubbish, drives me crazy! After reading the cortaflex website, it says it uses different ingredients as the Glucosamine and Chondroitin aren't absorbed or something! Who knows, I guess it depends who you believe. My vet doesn't think much of cortaflex, but said the HA version is better.

jayvee

Visit site
If this is anything to go by..
My mare towards the end of the 1st hunting season went lame. Strained tendon and jarred pasterns.
My vet said put her on glucosamine, so I did. Vet reccomended New market joint sup' and thats what I used. It's 99% pure glucosamine and nothing else.
This was 8yrs ago!
I kept her on it all this time Daily and still on it now. And through out the 8yrs she has been hunted hard every season and NEVER went lame again.
Now, I can never prove that this the answer, but 8yrs and never lame is bloody good IMO.
I'm wary of supplements on the whole as usually full of vit/mins you find in hard feed anyway and nothing else and then charged a fortune to use!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Firstly, im sure other people know much more about this than me so they might come and tell you im talking rubbish!
laugh.gif

As far as I understood it after a discussion with a vet.. glucosamine alone is very limited in its benefits as a joint supplement as it needed to be combined with the chondroitin. The vet in question gave me some very impressive sounding science behind all of this but Im afraid most of it went over my head. So, as my understanding goes, you're right in moving away from the glucosamine alone.

An above poster mentioned cortaflex containing different ingrediants due to chondroitin and glucosamine being uneffective. Thats half true and half not. Theres evidence that suggests glucosamine and chondroitin molecules are too large to be absorbed through the gut resulting in an absurdly low % actually reaching its destination (being the joints). You'd have to check up on the actual figures but I seem to remember it was around the 2% mark for the glucosamine. They therefore user smaller molecule versions that can be more readily absored... I cant remember the exact names of the molecules involved without looking them up though
frown.gif
I should add, this is the logic behind Cortaflex's claims anyway!

My vet recommends two different joint supplements primarily. Firstly, cortaflex for regular maintenance. Secondly, when there is already a problem - he recommends either the vet strength version of cortaflex or the newmarket joint supplement (this is the one thats supposed to be the most concentrated form of glucosamine on the market). With actual osteoarthritic issues.. he says most of the joint supplements just wont make a difference.

A livery on our yard has had an ongoing hock problem for a while now and after numerous diagnostical tests at sommerford, the vets there recommended the Newmarket Joint Supplement as part of the ongoing treatment. It certainly appears to be doing said horse some good (but there again, he's having multiple treatments so how do you know whats working? :p), but its expensive stuff! Ive read good reports about it on the internet in the past and its generally prescribed for horses with pre-existing osteoarthritic conditions. It also seems to be the supplement that the vets at the equine hospitals seem to recommend.

I use cortaflex currently but I am extremely tempted to try the newmarket supplement because it seems to be so very well thought of by so many top vets.

ETS:- Actually, just looked at the site and it seems the 500g tubs last approximately 30 days and it works out just over £30 for those... so it's not as expensive as i thought really.

Chex

Visit site
From their websiite it looks like the newmarket one is only glucosamine, and they don't mix it with chondroiton, but surely that makes it not as good? Its just so confusing!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Just as a quick FYI for those buying the newmarket joint supplement through their vets. It IS a prescription supplement but that doesnt mean you have to buy through your vet. You can likely find it cheaper by searching online and you then just need a prescription.

Also its worth noting that vets cant charge you for just signing a prescription form and they're now obliged to do so upon request (as per some changes in the law last year that made them itemise exactly what they charge you for each drug administered to the horse).

Certainly www.pharmacy4animals.co.uk also have a form online that you can print and post to your vet for them to fill in and sign so you can order online. In terms of joint supplements, you should then be able to order repeats without additional prescriptions.

S_N

Visit site
Why not Cortaflex? Because I don't believe it works. I think that Tierra has kindly put into words what I couldn't earlier.

Thanks everyone and esp. Tierra for sucha detailed responce!

Lucy_Spring - the Omega oils is one of the reasons I am interested in feeding Linseed.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I'm another who uses Newmarket Joint Supplement in my case for Dan for his arthritis in his hocks (bone spavins!)

He has been on it a year now and although I wouldn't say its improved his condition I would say its helped maintain it and the Tildren in addition has led to wonderful things
tongue.gif

It is expensive on first look (£120 for a BIG tub!) BUT the tub I have at the moment I have had for about 5 months he was on one scoop a day but since being in at night (September) he has been on two scoops a day and the tub is about half full. So thats £60 worth used in 5 months for a 17h2!! thats nothing in my book. The bigger tubs are better value for money but of course there is the initial outlay in comparison to the smaller ones!

I wouldn't use cortaflex personally as not convinced enough of its affects to shell out all that money!

polaris

Visit site
I recommend Synequin. Go to the website and check out the constituents. This again has been a topic close to our hearts and we believe absolutely in the product. We use Synoquin (dog equivalent)for our dog who was operated on at 10 months for OCD. He is a giant breed and is now 4 and half and there has been a remarkable preservation of the affected joint as he has been on a good dose of Synoquin daily since 10 months.

Parkranger

Visit site
SN have you tried Linseed oil? I put my boy on Equiflex which is obviously going to take a while to show effect but the linseed oil made a change within a week - warms the blood very slightly so as to keep all the joints warm.....amazing stuff!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
we put our mare on cortaflex when she was first diagnosed with bone spavin, she went more lame! so we quickly stopped that, then we feed her blue chip dynamic and now she is on no supplements, to me they make little difference to her way of going, so we save money by not bothering at all. she is doing well with out them, gaining 70.8% last time out in premlim dressage and about to be affliated BSJA.

aran

community.webshots.com
Just to add my bit - vets provide Newmarket supp but that's only because it is what they have in their pharmacy - very few will recommend it over any other.
for maintenance you need glucosamine + chondroitin sulphate (research shows they are better in combination). MSM - I don't know of any research on it so use it if you want but I cant comment. no big person will recommend any supp as we have no idea what the concentrations contained inside are (there have been 2 prominent studies conclusively showing that they don't contain what the say they do) therefore - find one that's good for you.

omega 3 oils are also supposedly good for joint maintenance. however the quote below is completely untrue:

it 'warms the blood very slightly so as to keep all the joints warm'

it is thought that it prevents the formation of inflammatory mediators therefore helping block catabolic processes. please stop giving people inaccurate information as fact!

miamibear

Visit site
I suggest equiflex - by vetvits. It works for me and many more on our yard. A tub (£17.95 or £15.95 if you get a coupon out of one of the horsey mags
wink.gif
) lasts around a month and a half.

It has glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate in it.

I also feed linseed oil because i found out omega 3 oils are good for joints, so he now gets 2 tablespoons a day of that, works out pretty cheap!

Red has nothing wrong lameness wise with his joints but im working on prevention is better than cure!!

xx

merlinsquest

Visit site
Hi,

I have just been told by my insurance that i can get the supplements paid for for the next year for merlins arthritic fetlock!!! Yipee!!! but now i dont know what to get :-(

Vet says Synequin is the best.... dont know what to think myself. At least the cost issue is sorted for one year anyway.

miamibear

Visit site
My vet gave me synequin too. I would say its a good idea to get him on synequin for the year whilst its being paid for, give the joints a boost then you can down grade to something more affordable after the year