Joint Supplements

pootler

Visit site
My horse is on mobifor which is the veterinary strength NAF 5* Superflex, I have just realised (after reading an earlier post) my boy has stopped clicking since he has been on it. He clicked on 5* and Cortaflex.

Scarlett

Visit site
I have had issues with Cortaflex making horses moody and aggressive - had to take my boy off it a few months ago because of this... not the first one I have known either...

Strangely enough both myself and OH started human Cortaflex for back problems, both of us got very depressed on it, I was also feeling very aggressive, had to take St Johns Wort to even it it out - came off it because of this even though my back and knee were miles better when on it...

My horse now gets Gold Lable Glucosamine which works a treat and he is no longer stiff through his back end on - am thinkng of swapping to FeelGood 30 Glucosamine and MSM though as I would like him to get MSM too....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Nope, this is the copy of the email I had.
Dear Vici

I am contacting you to inform you of our company set up recently in the manufacture and supply of premium equine supplements. We supply a number of racing yards and thought you mat be interested in some of our products. Our products specifications in the main exceed other competitor products yet we try to keep our prices as low as possible.

If you currently use supplements on your yard we would welcome the chance to beat any prices you are currently paying and hopefully supply you with a superior product.

Some of our best sellers include:

Premier Flex
Premier Flex Plus
Farriers Favourite
365 Complete (all in one)

For info on our complete product range please visit www.equineanswers.co.uk.

Many thanks

Andy Bell
Equine Answers

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

omega 3 oils are also supposedly good for joint maintenance. however the quote below is completely untrue:

it 'warms the blood very slightly so as to keep all the joints warm'

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting - my dad breeds finches and it's a well known 'saviour' of them in the winter - they have a tendency to drop dead when it gets too cold here - must be something in it.

Agreed though, a zebra finch is a bit smaller than a horse!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a zebra finch is a bit smaller than a horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry BUT PMSL!!!! No sh1t Sherlock (Austin Powers quote)

merlinsquest

Visit site
I have had a quote for merlin who is about 450k and it was one tub for the first month (loading dose) and then one tub should last for two months after that.

I have been told by vet that it is £120 a tub WOW. Luckily I am getting it paid for by insurance, not sure what will happen when that ends though!!

I have been using cortaflex and was interested in the grumpy/moody/aggressive post from earlier... he is grumpy at the moment.. but think it has more to do with restricted turnout.

Cortaflex cheapest prices are Prequestrian... on ebay.. look under shops and email for a price. Really competitive!!!

monstermunch

Visit site
Ok this may be a little lenghtly but I have a few things that some people may find helpful.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are the two supplememnts most heavily scientifically backed. MSM also has research on it but not as much although it has shown fantastic results in aiding the reduction of internal inflammation on the joints.
In terms of what product to use like you are all finding everyone prefers different brands. However you have to remember that all the leading brands are very clever about what they do and spend millions on marketing with the desired effect. You guys buying it.
You have to look at the facts. There is one simple key thing to remember.
"READ YOUR LABEL"
quite simply the product that provides the higher daily dose is the best one regardless of cost or make. the higher the levels the bigger the impact on your horse.

There are countless different commercially available products all claiming to have amazing abilities to resolve your horses' lameness problems. So it is worth looking at each component individually to assess their usefulness. Of the oral anti-arthritic products marketed there are really only three (glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM) that can be completely justified for use in treating degenerative joint disease in horses.
· A good joint supplement should provide the following: Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM, in any combination.
It is a mistake to assume that a product which contains more component compounds is better. Although many commercial products do contain additional compounds such as vitamin C and manganese there is little evidence to suggest that they are beneficial in the treatment of joint disease and if your horse already has a nutritionally balanced diet it is unnecessary to supplement with these extra components. Their inclusion in joint supplements is therefore of doubtful value and the main effect may be simply to make you think that you are getting more for your money! Glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM are virtually completely absent from a horse's 'normal' diet, thus making them an important addition to an already balanced diet.

· Chondroitin costs 10x as much as the other two components so check carefully just how much your product of choice contains!
Some producers include a tiny amount of Chondroitin in their products so that they can say their product contains it, but this is usually at such a low level that the effects are minimal if any at all.

· Just because a tub may last 120 days doesn’t make it good value for money. It is easy to make a product last for a long time by dosing inadequate amounts! If it is lasting for this length of time because the dose rate is low then quite frankly you might as well not feed it at all. Similarly you would be better to feed one joint compound, such as Glucosamine, at the appropriate level (10g) than all three compounds at an inadequately low dose rate.

Don't get sucked in by marketing. Just read your label and you are half way there to choosing the best product.

One more thing - in my experience vets are quite happy to write reccomendation for another product (one they don't supply) to allow you to choose the best one and still be covered by insurance.
Sorry for the length, hope it is of some help to people
smile.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a zebra finch is a bit smaller than a horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry BUT PMSL!!!! No sh1t Sherlock (Austin Powers quote)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I wrote that with a degree of irony - I need an irony icon!! haa haa x