Joint supplements

willhegofirst

Visit site
We have a BC who is 15yrs and very arthritic in her neck and hind legs, she was on rymadel for years it really made a big difference to start with she came off it about 9 months ago without much change. She has been on stride plus on the advice of latest vet, which I don’t think has helped much, I wouldn’t say she is really in pain, just very stiff and rather weak behind. Any suggestions of a good natural supplement to help her. Her kidneys are also dodgy so want to be a bit careful what she has.
Thanks for any advise

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mobile Bones from Pooch and Mutt is getting rave reviews on another forum I use. It's ethical and natural.

Seraquin is meant to be good (non-prescription) contains glucosamaine and turmeric.

Trouble is, you need a good 6 weeks to see an effect.

At that age, I woudln't worry too much about the kidney issue. You could ask the vet about Trocoxil: it's a monthly tablet (like Rimadyl but cheaper!). It appears to totally alleviate the symptoms of my older dog's arthritis. I got a 6 month prescription from the vet and bought it online, tons cheaper than from the vet.

joyrider

Visit site
Second that for Mobile Bones - (Pooch & Mutt sister co of Blue CHip) My lurcher has been on a spoonful a day along with some cod liver oil following a Cruciate Op 18mths ago. Doing the trick for her - got my last pouch via Amazon for £9.99 free P & P so cheaper than Pooch & Mutt's on site!

MydnightShadow

Visit site
My 9 year old Collie X has Cauda Equina (fusing veterbra). My vet put him on the human drug Tramadol 50mg capsules as a pain killer. He started on 2 capsules 3 times a day and has now reduced down to 2 tablets twice a day with a view to working down to 1 tablet twice a day.

When he was put on the tablets he was very stiff and quite lame. Definitely in a lot of pain spending most of the day sleeping. I know his chiropractor thought I would be putting him to sleep after she last saw him before the Tramadol as she has told me since when she also said she was so pleased to see him looking so well and sprightly.

The great thing about Tramadol is that it is not a steroid so does not have lots of bad side affects to worry about. I know the idea is to keep Shadow on them at some level for the rest of his life.

My dog is now moving so well he has been placed in Veteran classes at local dog shows and he is back to being his old lively annoying self rather than just wanting to sleep loads. He is definitely happy. He is moving so well he has now gone from on lead walk exercise only to building up his muscles again, off lead walks and now has built up to riding out with me on horseback again for up to 1 1/2 hours including plenty of trotting and some canters!!! I possibly shouldn't let him come riding but it is his favourite thing in the world and I am going for quality rather than quantity of life for him.

You may have to persuade your vet to let you try it and you will have to sign a form saying that you know that it has only licensed for humans but you still want your dog to have it.

I also know a man that was on it for a slipped disk and he said it was great although he is no longer on it.

Good luck!!

milo'n'molly

Visit site
Does anyone else give younger dogs a joint supplements as a preventative measure? I give mine the topspec mobility stuff just as i give my horse cortaflex because they are active and would rather they had the nutritional support to fix wear and tear as they went along rather than trying to fix it later.

I could be way out and throwing money away for nothing but just figured if it works in later life then it could only be doing good

MydnightShadow

Visit site
I forgot to add:

Other than medication my vet prescribed Royal Canine Joint Mobility dog food. I did feed it for a while but then discovered Symply Senior complete dog food. This includes high levels of MSM, glucosamine, sea kelp etc and as it is food and supplement in one it doesn't work out too expensive. You can buy it at Pet Corners or online.

Analysis:

Protein 23%
Fat 9%
Fibre 4.5%
Ash 11.5%
Vitamin A 13,500 iu/kg
Vitamin D3 2,000 iu/kg
Vitamin E 200iu/kg
Glucosamine Sulphate 1700 mg/kg
MSM 1700 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulphate 1200 mg/kg
Copper (Copper Sulphate) 12 mg/kg