Joint Suppliment

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So.......

(Big) Jack will be coming to live with us shortly. Very overweigh, but on a diet and going in the right direction (has lost 1.3kg over the last month). He was at the vet today with a suspected hernia (whole other issue), but was also diagnosed with arthritis (he’s six in May ?)

I feed Daisy a YuMOVE joint supplement as a support as she’s so active. Do I start Jack on that - or something stronger?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
He's lovely Amymay!
P dog has the Yumove advance 360 but I also put her on Rimadyl about 36 hours before she goes to the groomer.
We've had to cut visits down as even though groomer is brilliant and understands her, it's just too long to stand, so I do trimming etc in between, for comfort.

Chiffy

Visit site
We have a lurcher on Riaflex Joint Aid and Green lipped mussel. It worked better for us than yumove. Also helped an older flatcoat in the past. It’s not cheap but they have regular special offers .

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We have a lurcher on Riaflex Joint Aid and Green lipped mussel. It worked better for us than yumove. Also helped an older flatcoat in the past. It’s not cheap but they have regular special offers .

Can you give me a link to it Chiffy?

wren123

Visit site
He's lovely @Amymay, you'll soon get that weight off. I also swear by yumove advance 360 for my 13 year old lab with arthritis.

@Chiffy did the riaflex work better than normal yumove or the advance 360 stuff? If it was better than the advance 360 I'll try some too.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
He looks cute! I'm sure you'll get on top of his weight, and joint problems, quickly.

I'm not sure if I would start with a basic, or a stronger type of supplement, but I do know that if you find yourself considering giving daily pain medication for his arthritis, I really recommend trying Acupuncture. For example one of my late bitches developed a bone growth on her spine as she got older, which caused a little trouble. Without acupuncture she needed painkillers, but after some acupuncture sessions she didn't, and the effect lasted for around year. When the effect wore off, we did some new acupuncture sessions...

With my current 3 I try doing a bit of Acupressure myself, but about one month ago I decided to start giving Jonna a joint supplement made by a Finnish company, Aptus Glyco-Flex Optimal mini. Because she's 15½, and I thought it couldn't hurt with a joint supplement.

So I can't really say if it's made much difference or not, but I wanted to mention the Aptus supplement if anyone is looking for an alternative joint supplement. Like Yumove it contains both Glucosamine, and Green-lipped mussel.

Another supposedly "active" ingredient in Aptus Glyco-Flex Optimal is MSM=Methylsulfonylmethane. According to what I've read there is evidence that MSM in combination with other supplements may help with the pain and swelling from osteoarthritis in knees. Also, early research shows some promise for decreasing joint degeneration.

Limited small studies shows that MSM may help with exercise recovery. But bigger studies is required to confirm this.
MSM has shown some effectiveness for e.g. treating allergies, repetetive stress injuries, and wounds, but again, more research is needed to definitely confirm this.

Whereas Yumove Plus presumably instead contains something called N-Acetyl-D-glucosamine, which I don't know what it's supposed to do that Glucosamine doesn't.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m not convinced Yumove is effective, although I’m still plugging away with it. I think green lipped mussel was the one thing that I noticed made a visible difference. I used the human tablets from Simply Supplements. Some people will sneer, but the golden paste made from turmeric also seemed quite miraculous but it made them smell like cat pee!

StableMum

Visit site
Flexadin Advanced was a game changer for my dog who was quite often stiff in the evenings if he'd overdone it that day. Since being on the Flexadin he's had no trouble at all. He's 11.

Clodagh

Visit site
Wren, it was the normal one .
Riaflex is worth considering though, Clodagh on here has had success with it too.

I did, and found it better than yumove.
The current bunch have flaxseed oil (but probably a bit calorific for a fatty). Brandy is on canidryl daily. They eat Millies dog food which has chondrioten and glucosamine added already so I stopped extra supplementation.